At The Airport Going Home

Neptune

Haven't seen anything on this, so I thought I'd ask what may end up being a dumb question.

For those who have travelled by plane following their transplant, how did you feel going into the airport, going through security and getting on a plane (as far as swelling, hiding the "work" and hats? Don't they make you take your hat off going through security? Just curious casue I'm going to be flying from Miami home after my visit with Dr. Epstein and the only part I'm really worrying about at this point is that. Any thoughts from those who have "been there, done that" would be greatly appreciated.

Haven't seen anything on this, so I thought I'd ask what may end up being a dumb question.

For those who have travelled by plane following their transplant, how did you feel going into the airport, going through security and getting on a plane (as far as swelling, hiding the "work" and hats? Don't they make you take your hat off going through security? Just curious casue I'm going to be flying from Miami home after my visit with Dr. Epstein and the only part I'm really worrying about at this point is that. Any thoughts from those who have "been there, done that" would be greatly appreciated.

Neptune,

Yep, I've been there done that! I did have to take my hat off going through security. I was just honest and said I had a hair transplant. If figured I would never see any of these people again..and besides...many people were very curious not in a judging way, but in a fascinated way...even talked to a couple girls who seemed pretty interested icon_wink.gif. Either way...just be careful not to bump your head icon_wink.gif

Bill

Neptune, I had problems flying. I got to keep my hat on with no questions asked. Also, I've posted more photos showing front, back and side views. Keep in mind my hair is slightly wet in these photos. But you tell me how they look.

Thanks for the info guys. rjvw: the pics look great. You are healing fast it seems. One of the guys commented on your pics and asked about Dr. E's comments on shockloss. Be curious to hear what he said. Hope things keep going this well for you!

I had to take my cap off, I saw how they staired at the head, but when I landed in germany, oh those suckers are worst, I think I had to go through 3 security checks and all of them I had to take my cap of and walk pass the controll thingie and then getting my hat on, talking about people looking at me, but hey I would never see them again anyways =) hah

Hey Neptune,

For me, it wasn't anything special. I went to Hasson & Wong and received the standard Ballcap when leaving. Wore it through security but don't remember having to take it off. I was more worried about the staples in my head setting off the metal detector but they didn't.

As Master Bill said, mind the grafts! The two places which are easiest to bump the noggin' are getting in and out of the vehicle and getting in and out of your airplane seat. Don't want to do anything to harm those precious grafts icon_cool.gif

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got off the plane today, I was asked at the four separate security points to take of my hat off and I just discreetly asked the officers if I could leave it on as I have stitches underneath... everyone said fine and swiped the hand wand detector over my head and I went on my way, no problems.

Creeping...

Glad to hear it was cool for you. Hey, c'mon.....you're leaving us hanging. How'd it go?? icon_cool.gif

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

• 3 months later...

Is it THAT obvious? I've seen a bunch of several-day-later photos and I don't think I would have noticed much unless I was looking.

Apparently Dr. Wong shaves the recipient area, so yeah that's going to be noticeable. But from what I have seen, Dr. Path doesn't shave that area--at least not in the photos I've seen.

Creepingback had his hair cut very short in the back, but if it had been longer, do you think it would have been an issue?

Tom

--

1st HT with Dr. Damkerng Pathomvanich, Bangkok, Thailand - 18 JUL 07 - 3300 grafts (FUT) - US$6,930

2st HT with Dr. Pathuri Madhu, Hyderabad, India - 31 JUL 10 - 2249 grafts (FUT) - US$2,200

3rd HT with Dr. Pathuri Madhu, Hyderabad, India - 26 JUL 11 - 320 grafts (FUE) touch up - US$0

My Hair Loss Weblog

My opinions are my own. I am not paid by, nor do I receive any benefits from ANY hair-related website, clinic, or doctor for my posts.

Be best to hang out and recover locally for a week and let the doc pull out their own staples/stitches. A luxury yes but a great way to relax and recover. If you're not going to work anyway and the price of a week's stay planned in advance can be economical and figured in to your planned cost.

Tucson security never checked under the hood. And day after swelling is not usually noticeable. I'm sure International stuff is more of a pain in the ass.

Great surgeons will inflict little trauma. The worst in in the donor, especially for a mega session. Many surgeons want to shave you so there's no hiding. When asked just tell them that the reason you're flying is because Hasson or Shapiro or Keene or whatever is the best surgeon in the world. Then they all act differently like you are royalty. My cab driver in Tucson starting asking me tons of questions because he says he picks up people there from all over the world and she must be amazing and he tells everyone. So it's up to you to approach it in a way that takes the stigma out of it. The only reason why there's an embarrassment factor is because for years a transplant was a stupid idea due to jamming penny size plugs in your head for everyone to laugh at.

Someone said asked me if I was worried about losing my hair because it looked like I had slight receding at the temple (very slight). I told them that I was completely bald already and every hair on my head was transplanted. They laughed. I'm always such a kidder.

Go for it. Who the fuck cares. Get rid of your stress. Life's too too short. Good luck.

I flew home the day after surgery and had a big piece of tape across my forehead which was an obvious giveway when I took the hat off going through security. You know what? It was like 30 seconds while I waited for my hat to come out the other side. The security guy just kinda looked at me and then I was gone. I never had to take the hat off again so I was good to go. All that worrying turned out to be for nothing. If I didn't have the tape on, I'm not sure he would have even noticed but looking back, I could care less. If I go through another one of these this will be the last of my concerns. Hope that helps.

I always noticed that any guy with a hat got checked. I wore a bandanna and wasn't checked. Might be a coincidence, but something that conforms to the shape of your head may be seen in a different light.

Bayer

• 1 month later...

that was funny Bayer, I'd guess it really depends on which doctor you go with and the particular patient. My doctor did not require me to shave down the receipient area, and my receipient area didn't get red at all, just numb. Other than the smiley face that you get on the back of your head, I didn't really get any awkward looks at all.