23 year old who has had transplant

I am 23 years old and had a hair transplant back in august. I had tried proscar and such for about a year and it wasn't helping. I decided to go with the surgery but didn't have my hairline lowered, just filled in and maintained. The doctor also added a few to the back of my head that was starting to bald. In total he added 1600 grafts. The doctor didn't do a very good job with the line on the back of my head, and the grafts up front are still very wavy and dont match the other existing hair. I am wondering if I should go to one of these bigger doctors and see what they can do for me... Or just wait it out? I can comb my hair forward and everything looks fine.

Absoloutley, positively wait it out.

You are to young & you have a long road ahead.

If everything is looking good now don't let it bother you if you are loosing some.

Hairtransplants can also cause shockloss & may actually accelerate your MPB if that is what you are experiencing.

Hairtarnsplants do not help you maintain the hair you have.

Let it go until you develop some actual balding of your scalp that affects your appearance.

You may very well wish one day you had those transplants back to use when you will really need them.

Stay away from the HT doctors for now & stop worrying about your hairloss completely.

I don't know if that's particularly helpful, Atomic. He needs to provide a bit more detail for anyone to assess if he should see another doctor.

BigBill, you should probably wait it out for a little bit at least and watch what happens with the grafts. If August hits and it doesn't get better and you're still not content with your look, depending on your donor supply you could consider seeing one of the reputable doctors established on this site.

It may be smart for him to stay away, but may not.

The fact is that he already went the HT route. It could be possible he may need further work. It may not be an option for him to just let it go.

Current Regimen:

.5mg Fin ED

Minox 2x daily

Nizoral 1% 2-3 times a week

Fish Oil capsules w/ Omega-3

I had tried proscar and such for about a year and it wasn't helping.

Bigbill,

what do you mean when you say it wasn't helping?

No regrowth?

Because the main reason you take finasteride is to "keep" what you have, slow the progression of MPB, and "maybe", experience a bit of regrowth...

I think at 23 years old, with a scar already, and probably the need to have more and more surgeries as you get older, and the possibility to deplete your donor supply, I would get back on proscar TOMORROW icon_eek.gif

just take it every morning and make it an easy routine and never stop... in 20 years, at 43... maybe you will look back and think: wow... good thing I did take that little pill...

good luck

Having a HT at such a young age can sometimes be tricky. I beleive that one should wait untill they are in there 30 before any type of HT. That being said, for you it's to late...I definatly would advise you on getting back to the proscar...wait a full 2 years...than go and see a reputable clinic and get an opionion of what should be done if anything....Just when you think you're out...they pull you back in...

Just a thought from the peanut gallery...

Originally posted by OxyHair:

I don't know if that's particularly helpful, Atomic. He needs to provide a bit more detail for anyone to assess if he should see another doctor.

BigBill, you should probably wait it out for a little bit at least and watch what happens with the grafts. If August hits and it doesn't get better and you're still not content with your look, depending on your donor supply you could consider seeing one of the reputable doctors established on this site.

I think my advice is much more prudent than yours given this young mans age. I hope he does not follow your advice about considering another HT. Of course this is just my opinion.

I was on the proscar for over a year and was still losing my hair. I also experienced side effects that I really didn't care for. The transpant was very conservative, with my future kept in mind. He didn't really lower it any, maybe a bit on the recessions, but my tanspant has recessions built into it. Right now I am happy with it most of the time. It looks great when it is wet or I put gel into it. I just feel anxiety about my future. I went into the doctor a few days ago to check on my progress and he suggested I go ahead and do a second procedure to fill in the top of my head. I told him I wanted to wait and he was fine with that. I'm just wondering for the future if I should just go to another doctor like the ones on here?

Like everyone has said...Wait!! You are young and have many more years of hairloss ahead of you (sorry, but for most of us that is the case). Wait until your hairloss is more stabilized or you have had significant loss (hopefully you won't), do research then and then choose a doc and preferably one recommended by this site.

Go out and enjoy your 20's and put that gel in and don't worry about it for the time being. The doc sounds like he was conservative which will also help in the long run. Try not to fret about where you stand now and like I said enjoy being in your 20's.

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

BigBill1234-

Give the suture line in the back at least a year to "mature" before making any judgments about its quality- it's still in the remodeling phase-

Also, as most of the other posters have suggested, wait a full year as well to judge the overall result/appearance of your transplant. Again, as pointed out above, newly transplanted and growing hair follicles will have a maturation phase that can include changes in that "wirey" appearance you are describing. That process can take more than a year, and usually does. Finally, i would agrre you should go with the odds: 90% of men on finasteride experience a cosmetically significant decrease in their hairloss over time; get back on that medication to protect the hair you have.

Hope this helps-

Timothy Carman, MD ABHRS

President, (ABHRS)
ABHRS Board of Directors