Looking Back would you do it all over again?

Thanks everyone for all the responses. When i read about all the positive experiences and how you guys are now living your life, i really feel hopeful that this will be one of the best decisions that i will ever make..On the subject of money..i dont think you can even put a price on the amount of freedom and life changes that can occur with a successful ht..easy come,easy go. I would work three jobs to make the money back if i had my hair, just because i would be so damn happy.

Jersey- i can relate to never really opening the car windows..and i always wear a hat to mow the lawn,golf,beach..if its really windy. Swimming? what's that...i havent gone in a pool or ocean (underwater)in about..lets say the last 6 years.

Dude - funny you mentioned swimming. I went for the first time in years this past Sunday in a pool with my kids. The freedom of not worrying about fixing your hair everytime I surfaced is something you'll get to experience for yourself next summer.

I also go away with my 5 long time friends once a year to a beach resort, but always ended up staying on the beach when they were body surfing or just BSing out there. I felt I was missing out, but better than having them look at my head and make comments...right? Next trip is next month and none of them know about my HT (I've seen them since, but since it was always golf, I had a hat on the whole time). Can't wait to finally join them!

I think you're likely going to get varying answers to your question base on when people had work done and by which doc. Ask anyone that had work done prior to 1995 and I bet the answer is "hell no". I could be wrong as everyones expectations and level of satisfaction will vary. Those getting recent work done by top notch physicians are likely satisfied.

NN

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

• Moderators
I think you're likely going to get varying answers to your question base on when people had work done and by which doc. Ask anyone that had work done prior to 1995 and I bet the answer is "hell no".

Even though I had some really horrible work done years ago, I still would not say that I wouldn't have a HT if I could do it over again. In fact I WOULD do it again... BUT... I would have gone to a real doctor (the one I went to turned out to be a fake and didn't have a medical license) and I would have insisted on doing it the way I wanted it rather than accepting any methods I felt were inferior.

So if the question is: Would I go to the same place again? HELL NO!

But would I try it again differently? Yes. I want hair.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Hi Pokerbrat,

I'll give you my short 2c and then the longer.

I had my procedure done last year and yes I would do it all over again because so far it has taken me back about 10 years. I don't have a full head of hair and probably won't but again, I am where I was about 10 years ago and that's not a bad option. I've always worn my hair very short prior to surgery and I was ok with that as well.

Now the long winded answer:

I think that you will be happy with your results if you have realistic expectations. What helped me keep this in check was that I viewed before and after pics of past patients with similar hair loss and hair type as me. This helped me see what I should expect plus or minus depending on the # of graphs.

Now you know that there are women who are really pretty/beautiful with small breasts or less than curvy thighs, etc. but they are pretty none the less and happy with what they have. Those that are not happy will get breast implants or lypo or injections, etc. Some of these women are happy with their results and others are not even if they look good after the procedure. Some will never be happy with the way they look and they may indeed look really good before or after a procedure. What am I saying? A hair transplant is no panacea. You may indeed get good results from your procedure but it will not guarantee your happiness. It's all in your attitude. If at all possible, work on some of the things that you can control. Do you work out and stay in shape? I don't mean getting into pro body building but a fit and trim body can do wonders for your ego and that is something you have 100% control over. Now if you have a small frame you won't look like Arnold but so what. I am 5'7'' 150lbs. Not a big guy by any means but I stay in shape and work out regularly so I look good with what I have.

My point is that everyone should focus on improving what they have full control over:

- What you eat

- Working out

- Personality and positive attitude

- Choosing to accept yourself and be happy with who you are

-etc

Then look at yourself and see if you really want to go for the procedure. If you do, great. If not, just as great. You may see that in time you don't need it as you are happy with who you are and that's even better.

So to make a short story shorter, get comfortable with who you are. When I lost my hair I cut it short (not bald) so it was not a factor and it looked good to me. I was never a big guy but I work out to stay in shape and I have a lot of stamina. That works for me. I may not be the prettiest one around but I have a positive attitude and always take the lead, who cares what people think. I'm happily married and still have women attracted to me. Not every lady; I'm not everyone's type and will never be. I don't let my hair or lack of it be a factor in my happiness. I had a procedure because I wanted to not because I felt I needed it. I don't regret it and if I never did it, I would not regret that either.

HIGA

2400 Grafts with Dr. Epstein 11/8/06

Nizoral 3X/week

Rogaine foam 2x/day

The whole question is tough to answer.

So many of the guys who've actually been in this game long enough to have an informed opinion . . . that means they also got early HTs from a hair mill in the 1980s/1990s.

I think it probably boils down to one thing -- how well can you deal with shaving down short to cope with hair loss? If you can do this with any decent results, then most guys would say by all means do it. At least for a while and wait for better MPB treatment options. But if your head REALLY can't work a shaved-down look and you know it, then I'm not sure you have a whole lot to lose with HTs other than the money.

--------------------------------------------------

hey..thanks for all the feedback..here i grow-i am working on the things i do have control over, diet, exercise, attitude..etc. i do have realistic expections on what i hope to achieve with the procedure..although i am going with dr.feller, so my expectations of what he will able to do with my hairloss is a little higher than normal. i have good laxity and he said my donor area is very good so hopefully that puts me in good shape for success. I know he dense packs, but what is good density for a hairline esp. based on what dr. f can do? 60cm/70 or even 80cm/90cm if possible..oh,im also on propecia to stop future loss and hopefully regrow the thinning in the crown.

"Would those who went to one of the Coalition doctors on this site, if you could go back, would you do it again?"

I wouldn't hesitate one second. Dr. Cooley literally changed my life. No "ifs" "ands" or "buts" about it.

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Hello pokerbrat,

It's been a while since I've spent time reading these forums and this thread caught my eye this morning.

Looks like you've had a pretty good response already, but I'll add my own anyway.

I'll say with absolutely no uncertainty at all that I would go back and I would do it all over again. I am just over 7 months post-op and I am not only extremely satisfied, I am thrilled with my results so far. I haven't updated my blog yet--will get around to it eventually (busy as hell with life/work/other obligations/etc..).

No question at all for me pokerbrat. I would do it again in a heart beat. Seems to me as if you're doing your own research, which suggests to me that you're probably going to make a well informed decision for yourself. Best of Luck to you whatever you decide!

2967 Total Grafts w/ Dr. Cooley on 1/3/07 [1st HT]

Hair Count = 5,427

My Hair Loss Weblog

I regret the first part of my hair transplant journey: the plug and pay, and pay, and pay. What a tedious, frustrating process.

Then, I found Dr. Siporin in West L.A. (via this forum). There was virtually no pain, he set out realistic and attainable goals, and his staff was extremely professional and effective.

I guess I went hook, line and sinker for the stylish ads of the mid-80s, but I was lucky that I had enough donor hair left to make me very glad I gave it one more try.

I've had HT ten years apart. What a difference in technology in ten years. What will the next ten years yield?

Would I do it over again. Hell yea. I am vane about the way I look to a certain degree and I love the change. I did it for myself and nobody else.

I am 7 months post-op after 1200 transplants. I too felt everyone was looking at my hairline and feeling sorry for me----I'm a woman and I was balding----far worse for my gender. The doctor was straight with me and said it wouldn't look "that" much different, but I can tell you that it looks MUCH better. There is no longer a bald spot in the front of my hairline and although I will never have a really full looking head of hair, my confidence in my appearance has been restored and that's all I asked for. We see ourselves with a far more critical eye than others see us so we notice the slightest difference (improvement). I am very happy with the results I have achieved with only 1200 transplants. I no longer feel others are noticing my hair deficiency and that's good enough for me.

• 3 weeks later...