Now I know how NervousNelly got his name

Would anyone mind telling me how they felt just before their first HT? Kindof a gnawing, nervous feeling... like a "What if something goes wrong" type thing in the pit of your stomach?

Did anyone else ask themselves a million what ifs? Like, what if the scar stretches? What if the grafts don't take? What if I'm about to make a big mistake?

Deep down, I know that years of hiding under a hat and feeling insecure have driven me to this point, and when I think about those times, I know I am making the right choice... because what IF this is the start of something new? Like, NOT waking up and spending an hour + on your hair with concealers trying to get it to look decent? Or feeling insecure without a hat on? Or hiding under a hat ALL the time?

Guess with 3 days to go, I could just use a little encouragement. =/

-Steve

I don't work for a doctor.

Got 2700 fu from Ron Shapiro, 11-30-7

I know that feeling. I was nervous and excited. Believe it or not, the morning of the procedure you're likely to much more calm and relaxed (even more so when you take the Valium icon_wink.gif)

Who are you going to, EmuSteve?

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Go for it Steve. I feel exactly the same way, I've yet to make my appointment but I've reached the decision to go for it, just trying to decide on which doctor to go with. I was having the same doubts along the lines of what if but when I put it against all the stress that my hairloss has caused me and how it still affects my life and general happiness I too feel I am making the right decision. I think the risks are far less these days if you go with a good doctor so all the best mate and I wish you nothing but the best results.

EmuSteve,

I know how you feel brother - all too well.

I think the week leading up to the surgery was the hardest for me and in all honesty, I had trouble sleeping. And when I finally fell asleep, I would have dreams as to what the surgery would be like. Unforunately, we always seem to dream about risks and the problems. Dreams left me very unsettled, especially going in for my first surgery because I really didn't know what to expect!

Knowing that I would be able to post my results and experience on this forum was VERY comforting in the midst of a field of unknowns ESPECIALLY because only a very few people knew about this in my personal life. Besides my wife, my best female friend knew. The only reason I told her was because she would understand since she has breast implants - so we were able to bond on this particular subject.

So having a forum of knowledgable and supportive people in hair transplantation was a Godsend for sure!

But it didn't make the nerves go away completely that's for sure.

My encouragement is this...

Your anxieties are perfectly normal and understandable. You are NOT alone in your anxiety. Every veteran was once a newbie going through EXACTLY THE SAME THING!!! The very fact that you are going to an elite surgeon with consistently proven outstanding results should also give you some comfort.

And hey...

You get to meet Janna icon_biggrin.gif

If I can do anything to help you, feel free to use my phone number I gave you once before.

Try to relax - you are in good hands.

Bill

Hi Steve,

So you have 3 days to go? You've decided to go through with the procedure? Who did you choose for a Doctor? You're not a lone I'm going for it on 12/5 with Doctor Dorin.

I wish you luck man. If you are going through with this we can compare notes. I know the feeling right now, it's all that is on my mind. But, I think I'm in good hands? I hope?

Good luck.

It is perfectly normal for you to feel like "NervousEmu." It is surgery after all. I get nervous when I go to the dentist! So don't feel bad.

A couple points to settle your nerves:

1) You are magnifying your worse case scenario. With modern FUG, it is very rare to see poor growth, and I have never seen a case of no growth with a top surgeon using the modern gold standard. Most likely you will have a fine surgical outcome!

2) When you posted about you consult with Dr. Rose, I believe you mentioned that he recommended 2,500 ??“ 3,000 grafts (as Dr. Shapiro did). Furthermore, you said Dr. Rose approximated that a 1.3cm by 28cm strip is needed to harvest this number. That amount of tissue is totally within reason so you do not run a huge risk of wide scaring. I would assume that Dr. Shapiro will take a similar approach to the donor area.

3) You are, I think, a virgin scalp. That is great, for all aspect of the result (donor, recipient etc).

You are in good hands. I wish you the very best of luck.

It is ok to be nervous... (Just don't get too nervous...there is no need icon_smile.gif).

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

With today's technology and recommended surgeons to choose from, you really have nothing to lose (except your bank account, of course)

I sure am glad that you found this forum and wont be making the mistakes of those who dont have guidance to lead them to qualified professionals who do meticulous work.

Just from newcomers comments on this forum you can see people are still out there considering visiting questionable (or downright incompetent) surgeon's. You dont have this concern to deal with however, so rest easy.

Wow. Thank you guys.

I really mean that from the bottom of my heart. Thank you.

Reading your responses makes me feel a lot better. I'm still pretty nervous (maybe they should give us Valium for the week leading up to surgery, ya?), but I trust Dr. Shapiro and I know he will do a great job.

I totally hear you on feeling super nervous Bill. I left church early tonight because I could hardly keep my eyes open because of lack of sleep. lol.

But like you said, having a place like this where I can come and share/post makes me feel a LOT better. =) So again, thank you guys.

And to answer everyone who asked who I am going to, its Dr. Ron Shapiro... going for about 3000 grafts.

If you want to know more details, you can read my first post ever on the boards about a year ago here:

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/346...831028682#5831028682

Again, thanks for the encouragement guys. I really appreciate it.

-Steve

By the way, Max, since we are in the same boat, heres something that's helping me out.

When I get really nervous, I start thinking about all the stuff that I'll be able to do when everything is said and done.

Like not turning friends down when they invite me to a water park...

or not feeling nervous when a girl I'm dating invites me over for dinner with her family. No hats there!...

Or being able to jump in the ocean with friends whenever I want to and not worry...

I'm sure I could make this list 17 pages long if I wanted to, but you get the idea. =)

Anyway, hope that helps. And of course, I'd be more than happy to share notes with you bro. =)

-Steve

Thanks Steve,

I've read your all your thoughtful post. I can tell you thought this one through. And, I can tell you are a class act.

I hear you.. The closer the date comes, believe or not I feel more ready and can't wait. More so to get it over with, I guess. But, i think it has to do with looking toward the future, like summertime. I hear you with the water park, I live on the ocean in MA. I can tell you it sucks wearing a hat to the beach, in and out of the water.

Anyway i'll be posting my results in time. I hope you do as well. And feel free to PM me. I'll give you my email address and send pics.

You too take care bro

And good luck in 3 days, you're going first.

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the comfort. All I hear is I will be in great hands. And it is comforting to hear this, and I believe it now. And, Dr Dorin seems to be a great guy too as well as Dr True. Me and Dr Dorin will be going over last minute strategy before I go under the knife. So, i think I will have no surprises and he will take in my considerations too.

BTW, I've been living on this forum lately, and I can't tell you how much this forum has helped me. You and Pat deserve a lot of credit.

P.S; I will tell everybody there you said hello. Do you want to send me a Xmas gift to give to them? It could help my results.

Hi

Yes,indeed you are in good hands..i would not have had 3 procedures with T & D if not for their professionalism & attention to detail. You can tell them I said hello as well ...

Don't worry, you will be fine!

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Hi Max

Tell them JB . They know I am on here all the time as one of their employees are as well.

GOOD LUCK and REEELAXX

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Likely by the time you see this thread you will have a few more hairs on the top of your head. Things will go very well for you Steve. You have done what you are suppose to, you spent several months researching and made a very educated decision. I have no doubt that you are going to be shocked at how it really is not all that big of a deal. Good luck to you and say hello to everyone for me.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90