What if I get an HT in the front with the full intention of using a system in the back if it gets bad?

I'm 19 years old, Im gonna get pics online soon. But I have diffuse thinning and a receeding hairline. The diffuse is not that bad, I still have pretty solid coverage over my head. What if I were to get a hair transplant on basically the front 2/3 of my head to establish the hairline and front and what not and use a hair system on the back when things begin to get real thin? I figure I comb my hair forward anyway, it wiill be hard to tell I have a piece in the back. Is this a legit path to take?

I'm 19 years old, Im gonna get pics online soon. But I have diffuse thinning and a receeding hairline. The diffuse is not that bad, I still have pretty solid coverage over my head. What if I were to get a hair transplant on basically the front 2/3 of my head to establish the hairline and front and what not and use a hair system on the back when things begin to get real thin? I figure I comb my hair forward anyway, it wiill be hard to tell I have a piece in the back. Is this a legit path to take?

At 19, you must be conservative...that can't be stressed enough.I've never used a piece but I imagine that its a pain. With your first HT, u should address the front and mid sections of the scalp but you need an expert doctor to decide where your hairline should be placed and how many grafts you'll need. At 19, you probably want to re-establish a hairline which hasn't matured yet, which is unrealistic long term. Get on meds, and see a coalition doctor..then do your research on this forum.

- badger

3279 grafts with Dr Gabel - 06/12/08

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Gabel

There are two things I would try at your age with such aggresive loss before even considering a transplant

One is to see how you look with a shaved head and if you dont like it or cant live with that and least try a combo of rogaine foam and propecia to stabilize the loss.

You might even be one of the lucky ones that grow ALOT of hair back.

Dont rush this .

If you do shave your head its the perect time to start the meds especially if you experience some sheding. The hair will start to grow back thicker

The thing is, ive tried it and I look HORRIBLE with a shaved head. In my opinion. And thats all that matters. And Ive tried propecia, I was on it for 7 months and unable to use my penis for anything that wasn't urinating. Also, it gave me awful anxiety and depression that is now gone since stopping. I use rogaine, it doesnt seem to do much.

What about my idea? Is this not a decent idea? I feel like it would work.

the problem is that an HT is permanent. Though it seems like it may be a good idea now to go with a piece if you lose your native hair, you may not feel the same way in 30 years and you dont want to look like a freak then.

Why not wear a piece now for a few months, just to see if you could tolerate for the rest of your life?

Get a consult with a few HT docs. They're in the best position to advise you after looking at your donor hair and scalp laxity.

- badger

3279 grafts with Dr Gabel - 06/12/08

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Gabel

I wore a "Hair Club For Men" piece for a couple of weeks when I was 30 or so. I tell you, it might be ok for some but I'd rather have a completely bald and deformed head as to have to wear one of those things forever.

Think about it. Good idea to try it for a while to see what it's like.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Many men who have limited donor hair decide to focus on the frontal core and hairline with intentions of later having a system for the crown. With your HT surgeon, you might be able to design a plan without using a system on crown. Depending on angle placement and hairstyle-- ALSo with the improvment of concealers for the crown area, you might not need system as well.

Best of luck

SMOOTHY

Dr. Shapiro

Propecia/Rogaine xra

MSM/Saw Palmetto

Nioxin Shampoo system

Zrii 3oz daily

This question is right up my alley and I think I can provide you some insight. All of the advice you have been given is good. You are young so it can't be determined this early how much hair you will actually lose. However, let me share my experience with you since I have done what you are asking about. I have worn a hair piece for 20 years. Today you can get them that are completely undetectable unless someone actually runs their fingers through it and then they might feel the base.

I had a hair transplant last year and just finished my second one this past Monday. I have had a total of almost 5000 grafts placed in the front 2/3 of my head. My stylist has made a lace hair piece for my crown where I had no grafts placed. Once my grafts mature and thicken up in the front 2/3 I will put the lace piece on my crown and attach it with double sided sticky tape. It will be basically no maintenance and very easy to blend and work with, especially since I have worn a much larger piece for so long.

My stylist says he has several clients who have had hair transplants and elected to concentrate all of the grafts in the front 1/2 or 2/3 of the head to create maximum density and then use the lace piece on the crown. He says it is undetectable.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

Dr. Epstein August 4, 2008

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

364 three and four hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro November 18, 2009

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro July 1, 2011

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

Hey Time--- can you let me know how that works out?

I'd like to try that out myself!

Jason

Oh yeah, how much does it cost, etc... if you don't mind.

Thx Mate!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

B Spot,

I'd be glad to let you know how this works out. It will be a while since it will take up to a year for my second procedure to mature to the point where the density will match that of the crown piece. It isn't expensive at all. My stylist ordered a regular hair piece (I'm charged about $450) and cuts it into small pieces slightly larger than a silver dollar for my crown. He is able to get about five crown pieces from each hair piece he orders and each piece looks fresh for about four months so theoretically I will get almost two years worth of hair from that one piece for $450. There are companies on the internet such as "cool piece" and "Farrell" where you can order them if your stylist won't. I plan to stay on the forum after my transplant matures to show my results. I don't think enough people stay on after they have completed their journey to show others who are just beginning their journey what to expect.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

Dr. Epstein August 4, 2008

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

364 three and four hair grafts