Shock loss @ 2 months after shock loss

Hi all,

I am about to hit the 2 months-check point after my ht. I had 1500 grafts, mostly placed on the front and some on the crown.It's been 1 month now, that I re-started rogaine and for the first time been taking propecia. I observed some minor growth on the very frontal line, but nothing exciting yet, I do realize it's too soon.

My concern is shock loss. I did not experience any loss for about a month after my ht - except of course the grafts shedding - but it's been about 2-3 weeks now, maybe lets say 1 week after I started the two meds, I see lots of hairs caught between my fingers when I shampoo and/ or apply the minoxidil, also in the bathroom sink (about 20 hairs at a time). I never had these incidents before, even before my procedure.

I am not aware if this is attributed to the ht and takes effect now, or the initial shock from the two meds at once. I can't say there's any cosmetic difference on my scalp because of the loss, but still, it is kind of concerning. I really wonder when this should stop and get back to my normal pace.

I would appreciate your comments based on your past experiences, thanks guys..

Hi all,

I am about to hit the 2 months-check point after my ht. I had 1500 grafts, mostly placed on the front and some on the crown.It's been 1 month now, that I re-started rogaine and for the first time been taking propecia. I observed some minor growth on the very frontal line, but nothing exciting yet, I do realize it's too soon.

My concern is shock loss. I did not experience any loss for about a month after my ht - except of course the grafts shedding - but it's been about 2-3 weeks now, maybe lets say 1 week after I started the two meds, I see lots of hairs caught between my fingers when I shampoo and/ or apply the minoxidil, also in the bathroom sink (about 20 hairs at a time). I never had these incidents before, even before my procedure.

I am not aware if this is attributed to the ht and takes effect now, or the initial shock from the two meds at once. I can't say there's any cosmetic difference on my scalp because of the loss, but still, it is kind of concerning. I really wonder when this should stop and get back to my normal pace.

Hi victo27,

Feel free to check my photos pages (links below)...everything you are experiencing is normal. I experienced the same thing. Weeks 6-10 were the worst weeks for me. I'm slowly approaching that times again after my third surgery...and not looking forward to it. But patience is key so early on. Shockloss is prominent in some patients...like me! But hopefully you can take comfort in my pictures showing severe shockloss and then the positive results and growth in the following months.

Bill

The other gentlemen make excellent points: there is a difference between shedding and shock loss, even if temporarily the result appears the same.

I happen to be at the 2 month mark as of yesterday myself. I had about 4100 grafts done. I had some serious shedding up through 6 weeks, but between 6 weeks and 2 months that appears to be all done in my case.

I don't think its entirely luck: I've been using minox not just in the vertex, but across my entire HT, and I've also been on a regimen of copper peptides, which have shown promise in shortening Telogen (the hair resting state).

And of course I'm on Propecia.

The above three treatments however are going to help with shedding, not so much with shock loss, although I suppose I might have saved a traumatized hair or two.

The best way to feel good about potential shock loss is to reflect on who your doctor is.

I have Dr. Cooley, a doctor of the highest reputation, and someone whom I trust to avoid transection or excessive trauma that might be caused by slower healing and larger incisions.

Having the best doctor has helped me cross the HT desert to this point, although some here can tell you that even with the advantages I've had, I sank into a brown study only recently.

That was thankfully brief.

mark

Gentlemen,

He could very well be experiencing shedding but it still very well could be shockloss. Of course we need to take a look at how we define shedding and shockloss, but I think everyone here knows the difference so there is no need to explain...at least not on this post :P.

But...everyone experiences shedding of the grafts transplanted, and shedding can also occur from meds even of native hair...but shockloss can still occur at the 2 months point...if you look back on my pictures, you will see evidence of that.

Bill

I experienced some pretty good shock loss after my last two HT's for sure. It usually started with the shedding of the transplanted grafts around 2weeks post op and then I would see quite a bit of shock loss in the shower every night until about the 2 to 2 1/2 month period where it slowed down and I started seeing some regrowth at 3 months. At almost 5 months post op my midscalp area looks great and continues to thicken each day. One thing I am glad about if I do get one more smaller session for my crown is there is no hair there to be shocked out! icon_razz.gif

Mark H,

Agreed...that seems to be the normal answer...age doesn't seem to be a factor, but it does appear that whatever factors are there for fast verses slow growers are unpredictable at this point.

Tkerr22,

Yes, the only thing nice about having a B-spot (no offense B-Spot ha) is that you can't shock hair that's not there :P

Bill

Hi,

Thank you all for your comments. Spex, that was a very interesting and informative article.

I can't say for sure if it's shedding from meds or shockloss from my transpalnt, it might be both anyway. I'll just consider it to be a part of this whole process. I am optimistic about it, and waiting tight for growth results.

Damn, guys not losing thair hair are so freakin lucky, and what bothers me, is that they don't even know it. icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by victo27:

Hi all,

I am just after the 2 months point of my 3rd HT and have noticed loss. I hope its shock loss as the hair that has fallen out is previously transplanted hair.

Kramer

I am posting pictures to show my shock loss on crown area. I am at week #8 and never looked worse. I hope it all comes back, along with my transplanted hair.

Any comments?

before3.jpg.f82790eaa37c0d6457410fba3cd18cc7.jpg

Victo,

Honestly, the pictures are under different lights, slightly different angles and from close and far away...so it's difficult to tell. You might want to try to get a picture taken like the original with the same lighting, angle, and position for a better comparison.

However...even with all that, I don't see any noticable difference between them. Your picture now still shows some hair in the crown, about the same as before.

BUT...at 2 months post op...it is all normal. A lot of people experience temporary shockloss and it grows back. Even people who have had previous HTs (case in point...look at my links below, or check out "Bushy's" blog...he had major shockloss and lost a lot of his originally transplanted hair and looked a mess (no offense Bushy icon_biggrin.gif). But now his hair looks amazing, much thicker than before....crown and all.

Bill

victo27,

I agree with Bill, not to worry! I started taking Finasteride after my 2nd HT............that, coupled together with shock loss really had a negative impact on how my hair looked when growing out. If I remember correctly, at 2 months it was about rock-bottom icon_frown.gif. Give it another month or two and I'll bet you'll be coming along nicely.

BTW..........my shock loss hair came back at 2 months and 1 week. You can tell it from new HT hair because it comes in bristly and coarse like beard stubble....at least that's how it was with me. icon_smile.gif

Hope this helps!

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Victo27,

I had a tremendous amount of hair loss due to the shock loss in the beginning. I was beginning to wonder what I had done to myself but believe me it will all come back and then some! The first 3 months were the worst for me, and it's hard to be patient. I am 10 months post HT , I had 2000 grafts done and I am very pleased at the results. They tell me that new hairs continue to come in up to a year so hang in there!

Who did you use in Phila ? do you know anything about Pistone or Griffen?

Originally posted by Island Girl:

Victo27,

I had a tremendous amount of hair loss due to the shock loss in the beginning. I was beginning to wonder what I had done to myself but believe me it will all come back and then some! The first 3 months were the worst for me, and it's hard to be patient. I am 10 months post HT , I had 2000 grafts done and I am very pleased at the results. They tell me that new hairs continue to come in up to a year so hang in there!

mil,

I have never heard of Griffen, but I have heard some negative reports about Pistone. Do some research on the name by using the "Find" tool ifyou want to find specific results on these two doctors. If you are looking for someone in Philadelphia, Dr. Katz performs pretty solid FUT...seems to be the "best" in Philadelphia. Feel free to check out my photo album link below, since I went to him for my first surgery. However, my best advice is don't let location determine who you go and see. Though Dr. Katz does good work, he limits himself to 1600 grafts as a maximum number in a single session...which by today's standards is extremely small. Check out the link below to the Coalition doctors which are some of the best of the best doctors who have met the next level of excellence.

http://www.hairlosslearningcenter.org/hair-loss-content...s/our_physicians.asp

I hope this helps.

Bill