Strip Donor Scar at 4 weeks

I thought I would post a couple pics of my donor scar at the 4 week mark following my 3,313 FU strip with Dr Jones on 6/24/03.

So far I think it has and is healing very well. It still has some scabbing which I am letting shed at its own pace, and it is still quite pink.

This pic is a couple days after my first hair cut using a #4 guard in the back and sides. It is very hard to see through my hair when combed down.

Scar_week_4_back.jpg.f79d09077648d3ef14e1c613239004c6.jpg

I thought I would post a couple pics of my donor scar at the 4 week mark following my 3,313 FU strip with Dr Jones on 6/24/03.

So far I think it has and is healing very well. It still has some scabbing which I am letting shed at its own pace, and it is still quite pink.

This pic is a couple days after my first hair cut using a #4 guard in the back and sides. It is very hard to see through my hair when combed down.

s.o.a.p.

Looks like some fine work. Once the redness fades, you probably won't even be able to find your scar. Congrats!

S.o.a.p.

Your scar will look 10X better in even 3 months, it looks like a very good job though at this stage. I also noticed the frontal area looks very well healed for 4 weeks.

Happy growing & thanks for posting pics !!

SOAP:

The combo of your skin color and hair density is covering your scar VERY well. You have minimal "hat head" where the scar is.

You should be very pleased. A little redness/pinkness sticks around for I'd say about 3 months.

Looks like you are on your way to a fine scar result.

Your hair looks really good with #4.

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.

I had many requests for scar pics after posting the before and post op pics of the recipient site.

I didn't post any suture pics because I didn't think that tells very much about the future of the scar.

Going into the HT I really didn't stress out very much about a scar until it was on MY head. By the time I returned to work all the scabbing was gone and the only thing anyone could have possibly noticed was the "hat head", however no one said a word.

All that being said, I wanted to post my scar at 4 weeks for the benefit of others here as well as getting an opinion from the forum.

I am pleased with Dr Jones' work and hadn't seen anyone else posting scar results from his work, so I hope this is a fair representation of what can be done after a 3,313 FU harvest.

The haircut was mostly a #4 but she was careful to blend the scar line a bit longer, so in fairness it wasn't a straight runover with the clippers.

Thanks!

I sent these same photos to Dr Jones recently and he advised that it will take up to a year for the scar to fully mature. He predicted that the color will improve 90% and that the width should decrease by up to 20%.

I am already satisfied with the current width, so if it does thin out some more I have no doubt it will be very difficult to detect especially once the color fades.

When Dr Jones replied to the e-mail containing my photos and commented on the 90% color improvement and to expect a 10-20% difference in the width, I had to write back for the same clarification for which TS808 is asking.

Dr Jones then replied "the width will be 20% smaller".

I believe that while the color fades to 10% of what you see above the width will also decrease because much of what is measurable is the pinkness, so when that fades all that is left to measure will be the "seam" along where the incision was made. Also, the scar line is still a bit raised and will probably smooth out a little.

Dr Jones has said a few times that I should not stretch given that the amount of tension on my scar was not very much.

[This message was edited by Son of a Plug on January 23, 2004 at 09:38 PM.]

• 5 months later...

If I recall correctly did you eventually report that your scar stretched? sorry if I'm confusing you with someone else. If it was you do you have any pics of the stretched scar and what steps (if any) have you/are you taking to correct it? If your scar is still thin I'd love to see pics of that also!

Thanks.

[This message was edited by MoHair4Me on January 23, 2004 at 10:57 PM.]

• 2 months later...

"...full strip sutures."

Are you saying Dr Jones is back to exclusively using sutures to close strip incisions?

I thought he said he was using staples or sutures on a case by case basis depending on laxity, but like you said "I know because I just returned from my 1st HT with him."

Good growth and healing to you, hope to see more posts from you over the next 12 months!

Sorry Son of a Plug...

What I meant to say is that sutures were the best in my case due to the elasticity of my scalp...you are probably correct...I'm not sure if he uses staples or not (I will ask him next time I talk to him)

I'm assuming from what I have read on this website that he has used staples in the past. Whether he is only strictly using sutures now, and not staples, I don't know but will find out and post here...

Sorry for the confusion...and thanks for the encouragement...how is your growth doing??

How is your scar doing?? And what if anything are you using on it? I'm using vitamin E ointment as per Dr. Jones' advice.

Cheers

Day #2...is it 6 months yet??

icon_smile.gif

Is it 6 months yet??

Havhairnow,

The scar has not improved any (nor would it) and at over 9 months my growth is all but done except for thickening.

I'm going to wait until June 24th to post the 1 year results. I have tons of photos already and may put together a site. I most definately will at least put together a new thread on this forum.

Also, I just picked up a new Nikon 5.0 mp digital camera at work today which I will use to document the final result. With 5.0 mp I should be able to count the FU per sq cm on screen!!

That's great SOAP...I look forward to seeing your results. Something to look forward to...good for you with the Nikon...I own a Nikon Coolpix 950 only 2.3 mp and still gives great photos...I can only imagine what a 5.0 mp camera will do. Nikkor lenses are one of the best next to Sony's high end Carl Zeiss lenses!!

Cheers

Is it 6 months yet??

• 1 month later...

HairyMatters

Welcome to the club hairy...had mine done on March 26th and already have some good growth happening...my neighbour commented yesterday that she can definately see a difference...looking forward to the 3rd and 4th month...

Good luck

Is it 6 months yet??

HairyMatters

I use Rogaine 5% twice a day starting the first week after the HT and found that it has worked well...Also use Nizoral 2% shampoo once a week which helps clean your scalp...also try MSM 3 tablets a day, or 3000 mgs which contains sulphur. Helps your hair and nails grow and I believe it has made a difference for me. How many grafts did you receive from Dr. Jones??

I received approx. 3100 grafts with the majority of the grafts being 2 hairs (80%) so it should make a big difference in the coming months...

Good luck and keep me updated...would like to gauge our progress....

Chris

Is it 6 months yet??

hi Chris,

I tried Rogaine 5%, it caused my skin to break out. Then tried the 2%, not much better. Haven't tried anything else. Where did you get Nizoral 2% shampoo?

My HT with Dr. Jones was approx. 2000 grafts with the majority of the grafts also being 2 hairs (not sure about the percentage tho).

Will update you on my progress.

Tim.