Thoughts on Laser Combs

I'm not really a great believer in Laser Therapy to promote hair growth. But I recently discovered that the Shapiro Medical Group is starting to suggest and recommend them, citing that there is some evidence to indicate that it may work similar to Propecia. I would just like to know what peoples thoughts here are on it, and if anyone here has had any results?

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

I'm not really a great believer in Laser Therapy to promote hair growth. But I recently discovered that the Shapiro Medical Group is starting to suggest and recommend them, citing that there is some evidence to indicate that it may work similar to Propecia. I would just like to know what peoples thoughts here are on it, and if anyone here has had any results?

Matt Zupan from the SMG has said that A lot

of data is indicating that they may work similar to Propecia. People who have used them believe the quality of their hair is stronger....healthier.

It sounds like he has gotten some positive feedback from its use.

I have heard alot of things concerning the lazer comb, but you know what, I know what kind of scumb bags are out there and for that reason, I have decided to stay away from things that are not fda proven. There are always new fads out there, and I am so sick of them that I dont even bother wasting my time or money on them. I am using propecia and I am very happy with the results.

I have to agree with you there buddy!

Unfortunately we are in the industry that is still highly motivated by profit. There is a lot of Snake Oil out there who's only growth is the hole it puts in your wallet.

Although its great that we have this forum as we can help each other share what has worked for us and what doesn't.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm considering getting a laser comb if it cuts back the dht levels..I can't use any kinda propecia products..so I am going to topical ways to cut back dht.I use nizoral and let it stay in my hair for 5 minutes before rinseing. I've also ordered some spironolactone 5%.

Hi Lon

I wouldn't waste my money. Save the cash and use it for some extra grafts. Are you really going to use this Laser comb for life ? In addition the data on the results is questionable which in my opinion does not merit the use. The only FDA approved items for hair regrowth are Propecia and minoidil ( avodart isn't approved for hair loss yet)

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Mrjb,

We'll using Finesterade or Minioxidil you will have to use that for life anyway. There are clinical studies saying that laser combs promote stimulate cells and can promote healthier hair. I would only consider it if money is not a factor as it may prove to be beneficial.

Originally posted by GuitarPlayer:

JakeVig,

Is Ron Shapiro himself recommending the Laser Comb? I haven't heard this.

GuitarPlayer

We'll having had my HT with him yesterday I asked him about his thoughts on them. He said that there wes a study to indicate they may have similar benefits to Propecia. Although he personaly doesn't believe that it is as effective as propecia his position is that if the cost is not a factor, you might as well give it a try as it cannot hurt. Laser Light therapy has been known to stimulate cells.

Either way SMG plan on selling them at their office next month.

Originally posted by GuitarPlayer:

JakeVig,

Is Ron Shapiro himself recommending the Laser Comb? I haven't heard this.

GuitarPlayer

I have had a chance to quiz Ron about his thoughts on laser combs. Although he acknowledges that they are some studies to indicate that it has similar properties to propecia although as I understand it he personally does not believe it is as effective. His basic stance is that if cost is not an issue than you might as well try it as it will not cause any harm and may help. Either way they will be begin selling it at their office by next month.

Jake

There is no solid proof on it actually re-growiing hair.. As you said:

There are clinical studies saying that laser combs promote stimulate cells and can promote healthier hair. I would only consider it if money is not a factor as it may prove to be beneficial.

Of course it stimulates cells, so does massage.. There is no documentation stating it regrows hair which is what everyone is seeking

P.S. Money is always an issue for 99% of the people on here

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

• Administrators

In my opinion the laser comb and the low light "therapy" provided in clinics is over sold and over priced.

But it works great for clinics that want to get hair loss sufferers through their doors. Then after spending a few thousand dollars over months of multiple visits, these hair loss sufferers realize that the only way to get their hairline back is with a hair transplant.

It's clever marketing for the clinic but largely a waste of money for the "patient".

I once discussed the "Laser comb" at length with a former marketing employee of Lexington International LLC (the makers of the HairMax Laser Comb). He told me that covert promotional posting on the forums was a standard marketing tactic. He told me that he thought the laser comb was way over hyped and over priced.

Frankly, actual results aside, I expect this laser fad will become very popular since many doctors are beginning to hawk it and make money from it. Never underestimate the money making potential of highly hyped product sold to desperate customers.

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Thanks Pat

Well said.. Another snake oil to take people's money. Its sad

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

I believe this is a duplicate thread, but just for the purposes of full disclosure about Low Level Laser Therapy (LLLT). Here is a press release from www.ishrs.org themselves about the results of clinical trials on LLLT: http://www.ishrs.org/mediacenter/pr/pr5.htm

Some statistics of importance are:

# 100% of men had stabilization of hair loss in frontal and vertex (top of the head) areas;

# 84.6% of men had hair regrowth (11% of more from baseline) in the frontal area;

# 82.8% of men had hair regrowth (11% or more from baseline) in the vertex area;

Although it doesnt specify how much, I do not believe hair regrowth is considerable (around 11%). I believe the trials do conclude that LLLT *may help* a patient over a long period of time.

For a product that is so expensive I believe it lacks visual proof (i.e. before and after shots) that the laser comb can provide a cosmetic difference.

I do not want to seem like Im *endorsing* LLLT, but there is a lot of scientific research on the benefits of LLLT (not just for hair loss), to claim it does nothing I believe is a little misleasing. What seperates it from other *snake oil* products may just be that because there is so much money in it they can afford to run clinical trials. But still the results of the trials show *some benefit*.

So my conclusion remains that if the cost (and time) is not an issue - you may as well give it a go as it wont do any harm and it may help.

• 2 years later...

Dear Bill

I am so relieved to hear this.

I also started to wonder if I have been disillusioned by the doctors who are so well reputed like

DR Kurgis in California

Dr Alan J Bauman Florida

Dr Dr Shelly Friedman ABHRS Arizona

Dr Bruce Marko

Dr Robert Leonard New England

Dr James Harris Denver

Dr Steven P. Jepson

Dr Gambino

Dr Mark Baxa NY

Dr Iglesias

Dr Reese

So if so many of these doctors including Dr Levitt, Dr Perez Mendeza and Dr Maria

so I really do not believe all of them would be doing unethical things.

They as you know are well reputed Doctors.

I hope that this will prove my point that we should all give LLLT a chance and lets see if the time will prove it right or wrong.

I am glad that I stood my grounds because I started this once I heard all these studies.

One more thing I am still not a paid Advisor with Lexington international.

Regards

---

I am a medical advisor to Lexington International and Hairmax. What ever I say is my personal opinion.

Dr. Mohmand is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

Ummm... wait a sec... isn't this original thread dated two years ago?

I am pretty positive that SMG does NOT endorse laser therapy.

Why was this thread from two years ago magically revived?

Dr. Mohmand--- you wrote in another discussion that this was a brand new thread. I would think the only way of finding this thread would be by doing a search of the archives. Isn't it obvious that it is dated?

By the way, just so everyone knows...

The ISHRS isn't exactly an exclusive club. In my opinion, there are TONS of doctors who are members who I would never let touch my head.

The beauty of this forum and "coalition" is that it actually chooses people by merit. The entire purpose of this site is to direct people to the ethical doctors. If it weren't for places like this site, many more people would be getting butchered.

If being a member of the ISHRS carried such weight, then we wouldn't need this coalition. We would just be able to look at their member directory.

I think that's the point behind Dr. Feller's outrage... The doctors on this site are supposed to be the "good guys." If they have a way of explaining how LLT works, it would be great if they could step forward and allay people's fears that they are being betrayed and ripped off.

If Dr. Feller's science is sound (which it certainly seems to be), there is no middle ground. It's impossible for the laser to do ANYTHING more than a flashlight.

It's easy to take a middle ground and say "it works a little," but that's a complete cop out. The pseudo-science that is being used to explain it doesn't make an iota of sense.

by brand new thread I meant , it was for me the first time to come across it.

Having said this.

ISHRS is a non biased body of Doctors, It conducts the scientific meetings and all the study that are done for furthering the cause of Hair transplant is done under the forum of ISHRS.

This Forum is a forum for the patients and the doctors to inter act between each other across the globe and discuss the issues.

It certainly can be important for the patients so that they can choose the doctors but it certainly does not mean it is more imporatnt than ISHRS.

I agree that being the member of ISHRS does not mean that you are good or bad, it does mean one thing that you are a registered physician with giverning body, some rules are applied.

At the end of the day, every one is responsible for their own actions. It was due to ISHRS that new technology was evolved. Doctors like H&W came into light. Dr Shiparo and others also improved the hair lines, microscopes were introduced and a healthy competition started. Every one has triedto bring new and new techniques.

SO please do not try to under mine or compare the two forums, they are different. I am sure Dr Feller will also agree to me over here and so would Bill.

---

I am a medical advisor to Lexington International and Hairmax. What ever I say is my personal opinion.

Dr. Mohmand is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

Dr. Mohmand,

The ISHRS is anything but a governing body. Nor is it an organization dedicated to producing new technology. It is simply a club of doctors. Some members are interested in the free exchange of ideas, techniques, and fellowship. Others are more interested in using it misleadingly as a "credential", especially third world doctors. This goes double for the ABHRS.

There is no doubt that the ISHRS consolidated the HT industry and allowed for the first real improvements in the field to become popularized- like mini/micrografting and strip harvesting. Of course, the Society's "Forum" magazine is a "must have" for serious HT doctors. But it is only published once every two months and obviously limited to the amount of content that can fit within its pages, whereas the internet allows unlimited information exchange and fellowship on a daily basis.

In my experience it was the INTERNET and Forums like HTN that introduced me to new technologies like Dr's Hasson and Wong's megasessions and lateral slit grafting, not the ISHRS. It was also on the internet that we all learned of the dense packing performed by Dr. Seager, and the FUE performed by Dr. Woods. Better yet, we were able to see the actual results on real patients from the patients themselves. The ISHRS was well behind the internet in these areas.

What is your need to be part of a collective? Why do you insist on submitting almost all of your professional identity to a group of acquaintances? Why is it so hard for you to believe that a group of doctors can ALL be wrong or misled? Rational throught and analysis is a one man sport, not a team effort.

If the best you can do to support your professional actions is to simply point to other doctors, then you should begin to realize that there is something wrong.