Taking the plunge again

Hello

Been lurking around awhile gathering information from different posts. This site has been a tremendous help in my decision to have another go at a hair transplant. I had 2 procedures done with Bosely out of Atlanta in the mid 1990's. I know but this was before the internet and all the info I received from them looked good. The problem is when I had a scalp reduction which left a scar down the middle of my head. Anyway after many years of experimenting with rogaine, propecia, nizoral and everything else I could get my hands on, I'm having a procedure June 2 with Dr. Cooley. I have corresponded with Dewayne and he helped with some of my concerns After meeting with Ailene and Dr.Cooley I feel confident about my decision. I feel that I was not pressured at all in deciding. I will try to get my daughter to help me post some pictures. If anyone needs to ask me anything afterwards please feel free to contact me. I feel that I need to help since this site has helped me. Thanks

Hello

Been lurking around awhile gathering information from different posts. This site has been a tremendous help in my decision to have another go at a hair transplant. I had 2 procedures done with Bosely out of Atlanta in the mid 1990's. I know but this was before the internet and all the info I received from them looked good. The problem is when I had a scalp reduction which left a scar down the middle of my head. Anyway after many years of experimenting with rogaine, propecia, nizoral and everything else I could get my hands on, I'm having a procedure June 2 with Dr. Cooley. I have corresponded with Dewayne and he helped with some of my concerns After meeting with Ailene and Dr.Cooley I feel confident about my decision. I feel that I was not pressured at all in deciding. I will try to get my daughter to help me post some pictures. If anyone needs to ask me anything afterwards please feel free to contact me. I feel that I need to help since this site has helped me. Thanks

Hey Steve,

So glad you are going for the gusto and doing the procedure. I would love to hear how it goes.I am in the process of searching for the right person for a HT, so all info is helpful. Good luck...I bet you will be really happy..

MikeSF

Best Wishes Man, I know, it's hard to even wrap your mind around doing this surgery again, and once you do, its really hard to figure out where to have it done. Just think of it as maintenance on an aging, well built building, always improving, and always updating! It kept me sane...Best of luck, keep us posted on your progress.

Dr. Cooley is truly world-class. I can't say enough about how perfect everything has gone for me at 11 weeks. I'm sort of joking, but I've said even if the hair doesn't grow; it would still have been a pretty great experience... icon_biggrin.gif

Seriously though, he is a top notch physician and I would honestly trust him completely with any medical needs. My scar feels and looks better than ever. Good luck!

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Thanks for all the support guys. Nobody understands unless they have been through it. I am nervous but feel like I'm in good hands. My wife is very supportive and can't wait to have her bathroom back. She says I act like a mad scientist. I'll post sometime next week with all the details. Thanks again.

Ron

• Moderators

You guys are so lucky that you didn't have extensive work done the first time around and haven't progressed to a NW 7. If I never progressed past NW 5 I'd have basically a full head of hair the last 15 years from the transplants. My problem was my hair loss was going faster than the hair was being transplanted. In the 9 months it takes for the hair to grow I was losing more than was transplanted. I wish I could just get a current procedure or 2 done and look decent again.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Moderators
Originally posted by PLEASE GROW PLEASE:

Be happy Did you take propecia when you saw the hair thinning at a rapid rate?

It didn't exist back then, but yes I've been on it for 11 years now. Unfortunately I was already a NW 7 by then.

When I first started my HT the area of baldness was about 4 inches wide across the top of my head by 6 inches long from where they made the hairline to the hair at the back. By the time they were done (and where it is now) it was about 7 inches wide by 9 inches long. It looks even larger than that because the scars are visible.

I'm think I'm going to have a few consultations soon to see if anything can be done. I'm just getting really nervous lately when I think about it because I don't want to travel all around just to be turned down by 4 or 5 doctors like the last time. I'm hoping things have improved enough since then (10 or 12 years ago I guess) that something can be done.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All

Had my procedure as planned with Dr. Cooley on June 2nd. Wanted to post some pictures but my daughter who knows how to do this didn't come home this past weekend so I thought I'd go ahead and write. Got at Dr. Cooley's at 7:00am and after talking with him and taking pictures he drew up a hairline and asked me what my priorities were about covering my scar on the crown. Actual procedure started around 7:30. The worst part were the shots in the back of the head to remove the strip. Didn't feel much after that. Dr. Cooley was in there working on me about 98% of the time. Ailene came and got him a couple of times but that was it. He had a few techs working with him. All were very nice and accomadating. Around 12:00 they fed me Olive Garden which was delicious. I got to watch 4 movies but slept through one entirely. The only problem that I had during the procedure was my butt got sore from sitting so long. They finally finished around 6:00pm. Dr. Cooley planned on 3000 grafts but told me he got some more from my strip so he used more. Don't know the exact number. They were all business the whole time. I was the only one there so I got all their attention. They were great. I didn't stay at the hotel after the procedure but had my wife drive me home Monday night. This past week has gone well. My donor strip is a little sore. Most scabs are off in front but have quite a few left on the crown. Tonight I combed my hair back and could see stubble where the hairline will be. I know it sounds strange but I haven't had a good haireline since I was 21. I know this is brief. If I can answer anyone's questions please feel free to write. Overall I would do it again in a hearbeat.

Ron

Be Happy,

Do you mind if I ask how old you are and how old you were when you got your first transplant?

Search the web for a guy named Dr. Umar. He is not a coalition doc, but his specialty is body hair transplants and a few of his patients have posted their repair journeys online. Their story is not unlike yours -- Started early, not enough head hair to finish the job.

Body hair transplants are controversial and not ideal, but in a case like yours it may be your only shot. They may be able to use head hair strategocially and fill in behind with body hair.

Good luck.

Emperor

I'm 46 and I had my first one when I was 34. I might get another in a few more years but plan on using propecia and rogaine to try to hold on to the rest for a while. I had a scalp reduction that really brought the sides together a fair amount. I forgot to ask anyone that uses nizoral how long after their procedure did they wait to use it. Dr. Cooley told me to wait about 4 days before going back on rogaine. Thanks