Dr. Dow Stough

Somehair

• 2 weeks later...

Dr. Stough is the co-founder of the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery and one of the most respected hair restoration surgeons in the world. Hot Springs was the sight of some of the earliest hair seminars, and doctors from all over the world came to these meetings. Dr. Stough was also Forum Editor for 3 years and has written a major textbook on hair transplantation. Obviously,he is an excellent surgeon.

Dr. Parsley is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

Dr. Parsley

Thanks for the insight. Information like this allows us to gain further knowlegde of doctors, good or bad. Sounds like Dr. Stough is very reputable. It just sounds like Hot Springs AR would be hard to get in and out of --as far as flying-- But I guess you could go to Dallas to see him.

THanks for your post and look forward to more of your professional insights and opinions on all and any topics!!

• 7 years later...

I went Dow Stough when I did not know better. He can not do hairlines and he gave me the worst donor scars. I would keep looking, ie, Ron Shapiro has worked out real well for me and even fixed the scars at no cost. I don't work for Shapiro, just a patient. Good Luck.

Sorry, does not have the skill. You can write books as Stough has done. He knows the technique of HT but as I said, he just does not have the skill to give a natural looking hairline. He also, as in my case, chopped up my donor area so bad it shows when my hair separates, ie, sleep on the airplane. I am sorry, he was nightmare for me. I went to him several times before I realized people would stare at my hairline. I have had 5 surgeries to repair the donor area, still need a couple more. What does that say?

Dr Stough was a pioneer in the field of HT in the mid to late 90s..he won the Golden Follicle award in the late 90s..he and Dr Limmer probably did the best work available in the 90s..not sure he is top notch now, but back in the day he was!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Are we talking about Dr. Stough or his father? Both were doing transplants but I think the father has retired.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Dr Stough, not his father..his father has retired. Ive often wondered why Dr Stough was not recommended by this site..he may very well be behind the times, I don't know..but I do know among his peers he is still HIGHLY respected!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Respectfully, Dr Rahal, Dow Stough, not his father did a few procedures on me.

The results were not good because the hairline was not natural and I was left with several big donor scars. When I told him about the donor area, he quickly dismissed as "scars" and went about his business.

Base on my experience I would not recommend him. Yes, I know his father, Blu and that Dow wrote a book. I used to play tennis and teach tennis. Teaching tennis did not mean I was a good player. It meant I know how thing should be done.

thanks.

• 5 years later...
Dr. Stough is the co-founder of the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery and one of the most respected hair restoration surgeons in the world. Hot Springs was the sight of some of the earliest hair seminars, and doctors from all over the world came to these meetings. Dr. Stough was also Forum Editor for 3 years and has written a major textbook on hair transplantation. Obviously,he is an excellent surgeon.

I know tennis instructors that know how tennis should be played but can't play.

Dow Stough knows the techniques but based on my 3 trips to him does not know HT skills very well.

Also I find him uncaring and cocky. He surely made some nice donor scars and is lost and pathetic in producing a natural hairline. I had one woman come up to me after his work grew out and say "you have had something done to your hair but I can't tell what it is". Just what everyone wants to hear.

In my opinion, Dr Parsley, he is a poor HT doc which is why he keeps his Derm clinic going? Stough just does not have it, at least in my case...I would keep looking.