propeshia sideeffects

angello

Has anyone who is taking propeshia feel like his libido is gone? I have been taking propeshia for almost 2 months and my erections are not the same that before, as well as my libido.

i spoke with my urologist and told me, propeshia is the cause. I know that there is 2 % of cases that this happens, but i don't beleive i a into this 2 %. icon_rolleyes.gif

Has anyone who is taking propeshia feel like his libido is gone? I have been taking propeshia for almost 2 months and my erections are not the same that before, as well as my libido.

i spoke with my urologist and told me, propeshia is the cause. I know that there is 2 % of cases that this happens, but i don't beleive i a into this 2 %. icon_rolleyes.gif

Angello let me know how the lysine works for you if you use it. My libido isnt a problem, however, keeping it up is. Propecia works great for growing hair but having sex is a priority for me. Good luck

Quote: "Originally posted by angello:Angello let me know how the lysine works for you if you use it. My libido isnt a problem, however, keeping it up is. Propecia works great for growing hair but having sex is a priority for me. Good luck

i spoke with my urologist and told me, propeshia is the cause. I know that there is 2 % of cases that this happens, but i don't beleive i a into this 2 %. icon_rolleyes.gif"

Golfer,

How long have you been taking Propecia? What do you take now for an anti androgen? I take Xandrox and Spiro but it doesnt seem to work that well, however, there are no sexual side effects.

JB

The material provided by Merck supports the view that the placebo group had approximately the same occurrence of sexual side effects as the group that took the actual Propecia.

For some patients there is a change in libido that usually lasts a few weeks and resolves.That said I have had several patients who have experienced diminished libido tht has persisted. Some of those patients have elected to go off the drug.

Perhaps maintaining certain levels of DHT may be important in promoting one's libido and possibly in erectile function.

Interestingly propecia elevates testosterone levels.Some people have speculated that some of that testosterone may be converted to other hormones that might counter the androgen (male) effects of testosterone.

• 5 months later...

Angello,

Just a suggestion, try to stay on Propecia a bit longer, sometimes your libido will spike up and down..(mine did a bit). I noticed at 1st I had MORE libido, then after 2 months LESS, Try staying on even a half dose (of Propecia) and take 400 MG of vitamin E. For me vitamin E proved very worthy, perhaps I was low. Holding on to your hair is really the long term goal, nobody wants more scars and surgeries..try it for a month, if you notice an improvement, report back to the others here. The "E" may put ya back in the stud category.

Good Luck !!!

• 1 month later...

Dear Angello,

If a patient happens to be the "1.8%" of the guys having problems with libido/erections it translates to 100% for that particular patient. If you get the gist, weigh the risks versus benefits. Others that you are asking the advise for may or may not be in the 1.8% bracket.

Take care, and seriously inquire which is the lowest possible dose of propecia that will do the trick (for your hair) from your HT doctor with some written/published study (a study that would clearly mention that THERE IS significant difference in results if propecia is taken less than 1 mg dose). As far as I have done the research 0.05mg of propecia (which is 1/20th the dose of 1mg propecia) showed no "significant" difference when compared with 1 mg propecia dose as posted on the net. I guess breaking the tablet in 4 parts should'nt be that hard and still consume 0.25 mg/day.

Good luck and live long and healthy life with or without a full head of hair.

Has anyone ever had problems getting their wife pregnant from using this stuff?? I am not ,but just curiuos. That is not a side effect is it?

• 1 month later...

good question john. i heard the same thing. i was told it can affect your unborn baby in a negative manner. i am not sure about this. just been told about it. if anyone knows anymore about this. please share your thoughts, it would be greatly appreciated. thank you

It's only dangerous to unborn babies if the pregnant mother swallows or handles the pills. The drug can be absorbed by the skin into the blood stream so they should not even touch the tablet. The side effect is attributed to the fact that the blocking of DHT in the developing male fetus can cause genital abnormalities.

Best Wishes,

Jeff

No, if your concerned about the side effects of the drug I really don't think its a problem. As long as the woman doesn't come in contact with the pill itself its a non issue. And the drug's been around so long that if you not experiencing any of the sexual side effects (VERY unlikly at the 1-1.25 mg dose) then there is really no short term or long term adverse effects to be worried about.

The only thing is, if you stop taking it you will lose any of the hair that it has produced and will bald to the point where you would have been if you never started taking the drug to begin with.

I started taking it, myself, in May and am thinking about a transplant with Shapiro or Bernstien (just went to an Open House in NJ) if it doesn't grow back all what I want. Oh well, we'll see....

ttyl,

Jeff

thanks for the response. you alleviated my fears. i wish u luck on da hair transplant. tell me all about it b/c one day i will get one too. dont know where to go for consultation in new jersey. until then jeff. b sage player and good luck

No problem man. Yeah, Bernstien is out of Fort Lee; one of the best. At the open house he was recommending only Propecia for some guys and HT's for others. That impressed me. I'm go'in for a follow up private consult next month. I'll keep ya up to date.

See ya

• 1 month later...

I was on propeshia for about six months and it really effected me. I fell into that 2%.

I gave it up, so to speak. Sex was and is more important to me than my hair. I also didn't notice much impovement with propeshia concerning hair growth or retension.

It took a while for me to get back to my old self. I had never had any problems getting or maintaining an erection, never gave any thought to it.

It really freaked me ou to be truthful. Peraphs I was just freaking out over all. I did notice my "morining" erections had disappeared while on the drug. I don't think that could have been in my mind, but who knows.

Now all is up and running again, thank goodness.

david

david

You would think the reverse would be the case. Finasteride is a DHT Blocker. That means that Testosterone (with its levels strongly tied to libido) is not being converted int DHT by the body in as many cases. So the consequence is more Testosterone in the blood stream (because it isn't being converted into DHT, as it normally would).

So you think that libido would go up.

I can only speak for myself. No decrease in libido or function. Thank god.

I read the information on DHT conversion from the literature that comes with Proscar.

I'm sure the 2% Merck alledges to be the population affected by a decrease in libido (or side effects) from Propecia is larger than that. Most guys see the 2% as a fixed rule and just say "I never thought I would fall into that 2%". If Merck discloses the real percentage, say 25%, they would never sell the product. I also believe there is a psychological effect to it as Dr. Rose described with the placebo tests. I talked to some men during my research for a HT (maybe 30 to 40)who were on Propecia and at least half of them told me they stopped taking it because of their loss of libido.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

I have been a regular reader on and this forum and it gave me a lot of no-bs information to decide alternatives to treat my baldness. FYI, I am 24, diffuse thinning all over crown and front and headed for N6, maybe in 10-15 yrs.

Went to Bernstein/Badamo in NHI and first off, let me say that they did seem much nicer than other HT docs I have met. They prescribed me Propecia and I have been on it for 2 weeks now. I have definitely noticed (a) increased shedding, maybe due to finesteride "shock". (b) loss of erectile function and libido. I don't know about others, but this is enough for me to say bye-bye to the drug!! I don't care if I am stone bald, I dont want to lose the very thing which makes a guy a guy!

So as of now, I have decided to go off it. Lets hope the "good wood" returns! The only thing I am using now is Toppik. Works to hide my baldness until I am ready for an HT. My advice to people thinking of Propecia -- this shit is strong and I don't think Merck or anybody really knows/publicizes the full extent of side effects. 5AR, the enzyme which is blocked by Finesteride, is used by the body in a number of other chemical reactions and DHT is not simply a baldness agent but has several other functions. I just dont think we know body chemistry well enough to say Propecia is safe. For those of you that it works, more power to you. I think an HT is a more "natural" thing than this crap.

• 3 weeks later...

I too had an decrease in libido and erection frequency when I started taking propecia. I dont know if it was chemical or mental. However, I was told to stay with it for a little while and see if the problem went away. It did. After 2-3 monthes all the side effects were gone. I have been on propecia for almost a year now and everything is still normal, maybe even better. icon_cool.gif