New MHR commercial (Medical Hair Restoration)

arfy

There is a new infomerical for MHR that I've seen lately.

On the positive side, in their 3D animation that is supposed to illustrate how hair transplants work, they now discuss the concept of a donor strip being divided up. In the past, they used to show hairs magically flying from the back to the front "one by one", which is obviously not how a strip excision hair transplant is actually performed, and it was deceptive. The new commercial does briefly show an animated donor strip that gets divided into grafts. So that is more accurate, and is an improvement.

I've only seen the commercial once or twice, and next time I will watch more closely... I am curious to see how large the donor strip is, in comparison to how much hair results in the end. If I remember correctly, the donor strip they show (3D animation) is not very large, and should not represent a full restoration of a large bald area. I will look for that, next time. It drives me nuts that these commercials would bend the truth about what hair transplants are and how they work.

Also, the new MHR commercial shows some "after" results for Wade Boggs, their celebrity spokesperson. I must say that Wade Boggs does NOT look good. I am not in the habit of criticizing bad hair transplants (I have one myself) but Geeze Louise!!! If you can't do a good job on your celebrity spokesman, what hope does the average guy have??? Wade now has a weird "roundy" hairline that doesn't look correct, shape-wise. You can also see right into the hair there (I believe most of the work was done in the front). In other words it is see-through, and the hair appears to be emerging at an improper angle... too straight up. I hope Wade is happy, but I would not find that an acceptable result, and if I was him I would be pissed off, I certainly would not be lending my name and reputation to promote this clinic. Maybe he is a "work-in-progress" but he does not look good. The commercial makes it look like Dr. Leavitt himself is his surgeon... frightening to think he is the medical director for the franchise.

Anybody else seen this yet, or am I the only "night-owl"?

There is a new infomerical for MHR that I've seen lately.

On the positive side, in their 3D animation that is supposed to illustrate how hair transplants work, they now discuss the concept of a donor strip being divided up. In the past, they used to show hairs magically flying from the back to the front "one by one", which is obviously not how a strip excision hair transplant is actually performed, and it was deceptive. The new commercial does briefly show an animated donor strip that gets divided into grafts. So that is more accurate, and is an improvement.

I've only seen the commercial once or twice, and next time I will watch more closely... I am curious to see how large the donor strip is, in comparison to how much hair results in the end. If I remember correctly, the donor strip they show (3D animation) is not very large, and should not represent a full restoration of a large bald area. I will look for that, next time. It drives me nuts that these commercials would bend the truth about what hair transplants are and how they work.

Also, the new MHR commercial shows some "after" results for Wade Boggs, their celebrity spokesperson. I must say that Wade Boggs does NOT look good. I am not in the habit of criticizing bad hair transplants (I have one myself) but Geeze Louise!!! If you can't do a good job on your celebrity spokesman, what hope does the average guy have??? Wade now has a weird "roundy" hairline that doesn't look correct, shape-wise. You can also see right into the hair there (I believe most of the work was done in the front). In other words it is see-through, and the hair appears to be emerging at an improper angle... too straight up. I hope Wade is happy, but I would not find that an acceptable result, and if I was him I would be pissed off, I certainly would not be lending my name and reputation to promote this clinic. Maybe he is a "work-in-progress" but he does not look good. The commercial makes it look like Dr. Leavitt himself is his surgeon... frightening to think he is the medical director for the franchise.

Anybody else seen this yet, or am I the only "night-owl"?

You're not alone Arfy. I also saw the info.

Two things struck me.

First, was the plastered on grin of Dr. Leavitt. He looked "goolish". He seemed fightened to let the grin go.

Second was Wade's bad transplant. Here is a very successful guy (how many of us can boast to rising that high in such a visible field) who made such a poor choice (and he seems thrilled). The no-names on the info looked better to my eye.

Oh well...just another example of life being less than perfect.

"Temples 'n Crowns Forever"

Uncjim's Hair Loss WebLog

I saw it to, and Arfy can say what he think's because what he said does help not hurt people. It would do wade good to read Arfy's post. He might think a minute and use a bat to fix that forced smile on leavitt's face..LOL..OK Mr.Leavitt you want 200 mimi,micro's to cover up that bump..LOL

I haven't seen the MHR commercial yet, but Bosley's new commercials don't use the terms "minigrafts" or "micrografts", but they do now use the term "Follicular Units". How appropriate!

Hey, they know that they'll cover their asses with "a mini/micro graft is actually comprised of FUs". But still, what a crock!

BTW, Bosley still uses the "Bosley-ism" Varigrafting. No one knows for sure what it really is or if it is worth anything, but they still publicize it. Probably doesn't mean anything.

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.

Yep, I've seen it too. I agree, Wade does not look too good. If I remember correctly, some of the other patients look good though. Do you think the patients in the MHR & Bosley informercials get special care? Watching the Bosley infomercial, it's easy to see how one could get duped by them. It's very slick, it's looks so easy, and the results look good. But thankfully, we know we know the truth.

I saw the infomercial too, and agree that Wade Boggs' HT looks terrible. I hope this isn't MHR's best work.

Also, I don't believe Leavitt ever had significant hair loss, as was implied. Some blurry pictures of a man with wet hair were showed next to Leavitt, and it was implied that he previously had a lot of hair loss, but had a very successful HT with MHR. I don't believe he ever had more than a few grafts.