How to know if I had Micro/Mini's?

Look at your hairline: are the grafts grouped in 2s and 3s? are they spaced far apart? current top doctors use only true follicular units, and they will only use single hair grafts in the hairline which provides for the most natural appearance. who was your doctor?

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

BigBill,

Just so you know, micrografts and minigrafts are not the same thing. Micrografts are just any one or two haired graft where mini-grafts contains follicular unit groupings up to 6+ hairs.

Ultra refined follicular unit transplantation is the new gold standard. Follicular units are hairs as they occur naturally in groups of 1, 2, 3, and sometimes 4 hairs. Physicians that continue to improve their technique are now using minimally invasive tools to create tiny insisions and cutting follicular units to fit perfectly and snugly into these slits. This gives surgeons the ability to dense pack more hairs close together when appropriate for the patient.

Ultimately, the best hairlines I've seen are created with single haired follicular units (or micrografts). 2+ haired grafts should be reserved for behind the hairline, not directly in front of it or it could potentially look unnatural (especially if there are a lot of them).

Best wishes,

Bill

Ultra refined follicular unit transplantation is the new gold standard. Follicular units are hairs as they occur naturally in groups of 1, 2, 3, and sometimes 4 hairs. Physicians that continue to improve their technique are now using minimally invasive tools to create tiny insisions and cutting follicular units to fit perfectly and snugly into these slits. This gives surgeons the ability to dense pack more hairs close together when appropriate for the patient.

It's so true about the minimaly invasive tools and small incisions. I remember when my mini's were placed, it was like they were using a jackhammer on my head. IIRC it was definitely a power tool of some sort. It's funny how little I remember of the entire process, though. It's like a stress induced memory blackout or something.

Stimpson

• 2 weeks later...

My Doc made mine pretty high, so I could plant a few in front, but most are pointing straight up and is annoying when I dont have gel or any other product in my hair!! Is this because they are still new and will settle down or will they always stick up like this?

hey bill, it's a bit tough to tell from your pics exactly what is going on there. i will say that it does not look like ultra-refined, true fus. the grafts appear stalky and seem to confirm your concern that 2 hair grafts were used. also it does not look very densely packed. the good news is that it does not appear to be terrible work and can be easily fixed with another ht. i would suggest you look for a TOP ht doc who will likely "fill-in" the work of your previous doc. this is exactly what i had to do. did your doc tell you how many grafts you received?

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

1600 grafts were used. Mostly up front but some on the top of my head. I wish I had a higher quality camera, but this is the best shot I can get right now. Not so happy with my result from the doctor I used. I have a wide donor scar and Mini/Micro's were used on me.

Since Mini's and Micro's appear to be used on my head, what are the chances a top doc being able to blend this up, makeing it look thicker and normal? They were only used in my recessions luckily, not the very frontal middle hairline...