Confused: Why So Little Q&A of Men's Hairstyling Strategy Related to Donor Density ?

Hi guys, been here awhile now. Glad people like Bill is supportive of helping people. I may post a few wacky topics now and again. Ive been known to stir the pot in life.

Question: As a veteran myself, especially of virtually all the HT technologies over the past couple decades, It confuses me why so few people ever mention or seem interested in male hair styles in light of the fact that HT by nature is as much art as science since the "illusion" of density is often mentioned.

Specifically, some guys look good combed back, some combed sideways, some brushed up, some with a perm. Sorry for the bad actor karma, but Steven Segall for example had a fairly good early HT, and they wisely chose a thick front hairline combed straight back which worked well with his face, and allowed him to grow out individual hairs to as long as ten inches per hair thereby giving him maximum density. Granted the hairline was a bit low. Its possible his legendary ego over rode his doctor when he was told it wasnt prudent to try to look like you're sixteen again.

I've consulted with at least ten HT doctors over the years, some hacks, some world class. I dont think ANY of them has ever brought up the issue of targeted hair style in light of potential density. I've brought up the topic myself and even brought in a picture of what i wanted to look like and the doctor pretty much ignored it and did what he wanted. My wife is a stylist so I know hairstyles.

I hate to say this, but I think that MOST doctors secretly want to do a second procedure on you and at that time they "touch up" and address the issue of what hairstyle youre going to wear into middle and older age. Like anybody else in business, repeat customers is where its at.

Obviously with docs like Hasson and some others, you can choose your own style in a limited way, but even so, most guys are not aware that theres a "best" hairstyle for them and the spacing, density packing, hairline configuration, follicle direction, hair color, and even possibility of using product after HT all figure prominently in the look youre going to achieve.

Also, I've seen several people on here with pics who IMO really are sporting the wrong hair style!!! My wife is a long time stylist and I know what IM talking about.

If there are any HT doctors who are in the coalition who make the appropriate male style a priority then I'd be seriously curious who he is. I havnt met one yet.

Also, I'm genuinely surprised that I know of few of them who directly work with a stylist who can teach guys to use dermatch, how to style their hair, sell them product, and cut their hair. Its sort of a no brainer. Also, a lot of guys could use a temporary hairpiece after a HT in the event of an emergency social or business event (such as a funeral) which they have to attend and look respectable at.

hardcore long-term veteran of hack plug doctors to ultra refined coalition doctors.

knowledgeable about show business hair transplants

Hi guys, been here awhile now. Glad people like Bill is supportive of helping people. I may post a few wacky topics now and again. Ive been known to stir the pot in life.

Question: As a veteran myself, especially of virtually all the HT technologies over the past couple decades, It confuses me why so few people ever mention or seem interested in male hair styles in light of the fact that HT by nature is as much art as science since the "illusion" of density is often mentioned.

Specifically, some guys look good combed back, some combed sideways, some brushed up, some with a perm. Sorry for the bad actor karma, but Steven Segall for example had a fairly good early HT, and they wisely chose a thick front hairline combed straight back which worked well with his face, and allowed him to grow out individual hairs to as long as ten inches per hair thereby giving him maximum density. Granted the hairline was a bit low. Its possible his legendary ego over rode his doctor when he was told it wasnt prudent to try to look like you're sixteen again.

I've consulted with at least ten HT doctors over the years, some hacks, some world class. I dont think ANY of them has ever brought up the issue of targeted hair style in light of potential density. I've brought up the topic myself and even brought in a picture of what i wanted to look like and the doctor pretty much ignored it and did what he wanted. My wife is a stylist so I know hairstyles.

I hate to say this, but I think that MOST doctors secretly want to do a second procedure on you and at that time they "touch up" and address the issue of what hairstyle youre going to wear into middle and older age. Like anybody else in business, repeat customers is where its at.

Obviously with docs like Hasson and some others, you can choose your own style in a limited way, but even so, most guys are not aware that theres a "best" hairstyle for them and the spacing, density packing, hairline configuration, follicle direction, hair color, and even possibility of using product after HT all figure prominently in the look youre going to achieve.

Also, I've seen several people on here with pics who IMO really are sporting the wrong hair style!!! My wife is a long time stylist and I know what IM talking about.

If there are any HT doctors who are in the coalition who make the appropriate male style a priority then I'd be seriously curious who he is. I havnt met one yet.

Also, I'm genuinely surprised that I know of few of them who directly work with a stylist who can teach guys to use dermatch, how to style their hair, sell them product, and cut their hair. Its sort of a no brainer. Also, a lot of guys could use a temporary hairpiece after a HT in the event of an emergency social or business event (such as a funeral) which they have to attend and look respectable at.

hardcore long-term veteran of hack plug doctors to ultra refined coalition doctors.

Great read and good question.

Personally however, i would not want to have a transplant with a certain hairstyle in mind. I would want a general one that would look natural regardless of my choice, even if that meant extra grafts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11/04-07 - 800-1600 ish grafts - danish clinic - poor results

12/02-08 - 2764 grafts - Dr. Devroye - good result but needs hairline density

03/12-10 - 1429 grafts - Dr. Mohmand - result pending

Feel free to visit my picture thread

My Hair Transplant Photos - Surgery with Dr. Devroye

Young lads below 25 unite!

Yes, the ability to style it however you want is a noble goal, but id have to say there are very few people who are going to achive that sort of density.

Many guys have inadequate donor, repair jobs, thin hair, a large head, a pale scalp, or just really dark hair that doesnt blend.

So my point that keeping an eventual hair style in mind from the BEGINNING at least seems valid to me.

Did you physician discuss this with you?

I hate to sound cynical, but i think there is a reason most of them dont.

My second HT doctor (Dr. Arnovitz) asked up front how I combed my hair. When I told him, he said "that's ok, we'll work with that style and you should be fine using that style".

IIRC, my first HT, the doctor was interested in my hair style also but I can't remember well enough.

(I know one thing, both HT doctors transplanted hairs in such a way as to create the illusion of density based on the hair style I told them I was going to use. The 2nd HT isn't even three months old yet, so I'm still awaiting the outcome.)

Therefore, I always assumed all HT surgeons want to know how you are going to style your hair. They both did for me.

My assumption is the first HT surgeon would have said something if my chosen hair style was stupid.

I say this because the 2nd HT surgeon gave his opinion right up front before any procedure was to be done. And, like I said, the first HT surgeon definitely discussed my hair style with me. I just can't remember how "deep" we got into that discussion. My guess is we probably covered it the same way as in the 2nd HT.

Edit: In fact, just before both surgeries, even the "head nurse" asked again (i.e., I assume just to make sure about the hair style I was going to use).

Well lets face it, most guys are not style kings anyway.. Hairstyles have to do with a couple factors:

1- amount of hair

2- your sense of style ( or lack)

3- type of hair i.e. wavy, etc.

At the end of the day, if you have a complete restoration which generally means at least 2 procedures if you are a N4 or so , you can probably do whatever you want with your new locks.. That doesnt mean you will have hair like Elvis but you will have many options as I do now.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Maybe I'm in the minority and slipped through the cracks. I've NEVER had a HT doctor mention style as a critical factor.

When it comes to the "illusion" of density, style is everything. I mean everything.

The first thing to consider is age, lifestyle, hair color, hair density, occupation, and on and on.

If a guy has limited donor and thin hair, then combed straight back or diagonally back is the absolute best way to go. You get to grow the hairs longer and you remove wind as an environmental concern (riding on a motorcycle for example or going boating) because the hair is blown straight back.

Most people never think about this stuff in advance.

If you look good in a perm, you can literally easily double or triple your density by letting the hair grow way out and curling it.

If a guy only looks good in bangs because he has a very broad forehead, then you may be looking at a situation where the crown thinning is left alone and you concentrate on getting some thickness in the middle of the head to comb down.

If you have unusually dark hair you want to comb sideways, you may want a thinner and more recessed hairline.

If you're satisfied with silver gray hair, one procedure is infinitely easier to accomplish your goals.

If you're out in the sun in a bare head its another matter altogether.

Im glad your doctor mentioned hairstyle, but I'd have to say that he should have a consultant locally who can recommend the best alternative. Most guys have no clue what they look good in....or for that matter. what they want to look like when they turn 40, 50, 60, 70 and so on.

My doc didnt even bring up hairstyles. I believe their strategy is coverage first and how can I make the greatest cosmetic difference. Obviously good doctors discuss this with the patient prior to the surgery ( goals of the patient, need fro future procedures, etc.)

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

dr. feller (in a recent post) mentions how utterly critical it is to use the correct hairstyle for an ht to succeed.

celebvet, maybe you've stumbled across a new career path--a stylist who works exclusively with ht patients and their doctors!

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

I'm pretty certain Dr. Feller and I talked a good bit about hairstyle pre-HT. Either way, hairstyle is utterly critical, for sure.....it's incredible what an impact it can have.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

this is an interesting topic & i for one did discuss hair styles with Dr Farjo. we thought about what looked good & what would not work. NW5 or higher i think u get good coverage with typically 2 HT's = 6k FUT's then one can support a decent style. i am very happy with what i can do right now even with dark brown hair.