3 months post op pics

Hey you guys, I just thought I would show you guys some pics of my hair 3 months post op. I had 800 grafts on the frontal hairline area by Dr. Fraser in Tulsa. ( I know he isnt that popular around here, but I didnt know that at the time!) Let me know what you guys think and your opinions, and if you see any growth at all. I think I do, but I'm never sure, it could just be me being too optimistic! I know I have to wait a while longer to see full results. Also I have been on propecia for about 10 months now, which seems to be helping a little with what I have left. I was afraid of shockloss, and I did expierance a slight amount after my ht, but do you guys think my hair looks thinner then before, same or slightly thicker?

thanks you guys!!

Hey you guys, I just thought I would show you guys some pics of my hair 3 months post op. I had 800 grafts on the frontal hairline area by Dr. Fraser in Tulsa. ( I know he isnt that popular around here, but I didnt know that at the time!) Let me know what you guys think and your opinions, and if you see any growth at all. I think I do, but I'm never sure, it could just be me being too optimistic! I know I have to wait a while longer to see full results. Also I have been on propecia for about 10 months now, which seems to be helping a little with what I have left. I was afraid of shockloss, and I did expierance a slight amount after my ht, but do you guys think my hair looks thinner then before, same or slightly thicker?

thanks you guys!!

Hi

3 months is early so don't expect much at this point. Yes, 800 grafts will not do too much but in your case, your hairloss is not too bad.

Gooc luck

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

• Administrators

Andy7,

Welcome to our forum and the hair transplant brotherhood. All hair restoraton patients are welcome on this forum no matter who their physician.

I expect that most active members of this forum will wonder why you did not do a larger session of 1,500 plus dense packed grafts, which I agree would have been optimal.

But it appears that you will see an improvement. We look forward to seeing more updates as your growth progresses. I think you will find the next few weeks to be exciting.

Best wishes for great growth - Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Hi Andy-- your surgery was performed at the "easiest" setting for the clinic you chose.

Regardless of the outcome of this surgery, PLEASE do more research and choose a doctor who used ultra-refined follicular unit grafts

Your larger grafts will be partially disguised as long as your native hair remains--- should you thin further you will notice them.

I would begin my research in earnest during your growth phase as you will most likely want an addition 700-1000 refined grafts to fully balance your look out.

As always, continued healing and good growth to you and please ask all the questions you need to my friend.

Take Care,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Andy,

Welcome to our community.

Your surgery actually reminds me of my first surgery with Dr. Katz back in 2004. Whereas you should see some benefit and a cosmetic difference, I agree with Pat that 1500 densely packed grafts would have been optimal.

Just a side note: It appears to me, that the tool used to make incisions in the recipient area may have been a bit larger than what most elite physicians use today. That doesn't mean you won't still have good growth, but physicians who use larger tools to make the incisions can't pack the grafts as close together as those who use custom cut blades.

I am glad to hear that you are on finasteride. Being that you look young, this should help slow down or stop your hair loss situation.

B Spot,

You probably know more about Dr. Frasier than I do...but do you really think that he used larger grafts (gives the impression that DFUs, Minigrafts, or Micrografts were used) or do you think he just made bigger incisions? Or do you think it's both? I suspect Dr. Frasier is doing FUT, however, the incisions may have been made using a larger blade/needle than those who use custom cut blades (ultra-refined, etc). Certainly, however, a session size twice the amount he received would give him more density.

Bill

Yes Bill, he uses un-refined follicular units.

In speaking to others, as long as these grafts are not brought too "forward" they will provide optimal density when a doc using ultra-refined techniques re-transplants the area.

However, as you can see, 800 grafts will not give Andy the look he is probably imagining he will end up with.

Please note--Any clinic not properly trimming grafts and using the most minimally invasive incisions is doing the patient a real disservice.

Equipment, new technology and properly trained staff cost money, as do trips to conferences and workshops.

There is only ONE way to operate a business for a bargain basement cost---- Fast Food mentality.

I want to let Andy know that we care about him, his current situation, and more importantly his future decisions.

I think we can steer him to a better choice when the time comes.

I am hopeful that we can accomplish this.

Later Bro'

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Hey guys thanks for all the feedback, I really appreciate it all. When I emailed my picture to the Hair Transplant Center they had told me that based on my pictures I would need around 1200-1500 grafts. When I got there (from Bermuda) Betty Studier told me that 800 would be just fine. Mind you I was happy that she would say that, saved me money that I thought was a good thing. But now, I would have much rather spent the extra money and got more grafts to give it a more thicker appearance.

On another note, my wife is noticing that where the grafts were there are many little black dots, sorta like scabs on the surface of the scalp, does anyone know if this is normal?

Thanks for all the help you guys, its extremely helpful!

Hi Andy,

I don't know about the black scabs? Maybe some left over scabbing from the procedure??

As for the HT..........it really doesn't look to bad. As B spot mentioned, if and when you start thinning around them, you may notice the grafts because they likely contain a few more hairs than the singles that should start in the hairline. The good news is, you can always fill in around them later.

Yes...........I've never heard anyone after having HT say "well, they harvested too many grafts. I wish they wouldn't have planted to many". We all want more. Hopefully you'll respond well with the meds and can fill in later if you'd like. Maybe since the grafts you received have likely were micros or minis with a few more hairs, you might receive more cosmetic benefit than we think?? You should definitely notice a thickening.

Thanks for posting the updates!

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Andy, where are you from?

I would suggest a visit to a Coalition Doc or Recommended Doc to have a look.

I take umbrage with Nurse Betty, whose claim to fame is that she worked for O'Tar Norwood.

I really dislike posting disparaging comments, but you need to experience the level of care at a real top-flite clinic.

Take Care,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

B Spot,

I agree with you wholeheartedly. With the new tools, techniques, and technology, there is no excuse anymore for doctors to use fat grafts and larger incisions. Clearly, the refined grafts and recipient sites are optimal not only for dense packing but all around scalp health. Plus, the risk of shockloss lessens with ultra-refined FU grafts.

Andy,

As hairbank said...it really doesn't look too bad. At this point, you are in the early stages (3 months), so IMO, the best thing you can do at this point is wait it out and see how things grow in. You can always go back for more density later. I do strongly suggest (like the others) that you see a coalition doctor who refines the FU by cutting them thin and then using smaller custom cut blades to make recipient sites.

The link to the coalition doctors are here: http://www.hairlosslearningcenter.org/hair-loss-content...s/our_physicians.asp

Bill

• 3 years later...

You didn't have alot of hairloss in the first place but I am just like you. I am thinking of getting 800 from Dr. Fraser in the next month or so. As for the pictures I really do see a difference even in the short time. I think it looks good and natural.