Paying for your transplant

I have my transplant in two weeks with Dr. Keene. I had one previously with Dr. Hitzig. With him I payed the day I got there no problems. With her it has been far different. Her office has made a complete mess of the situation. She requires full payment two weeks in advance. She wont take American Express or a personal Check. Her assistant told me to "send a check". I did and had the doctor calling me the day it arrived threatening to cancel my surgery if "immediate" payment was not made. This was a message she left on my cell phone. She then preceded to call my wife (who's number I left merely as an emergency call number) and left the same threatening message.

I did clear everything up by paying with a debit card but was really dismayed by their approach. I felt like they were a bill collector and I was a bad creditor. Has anyone else had issues with this?

finnari,

Really? This doesn't sound like something Dr. Keene would do, but then again, I don't know her personality at all.

Why would she require full payment 2 weeks in advance? That's obsurd! Typically deposits ar taken and full payment is taken at the end of the surgery. This is especially true because the exact number of grafts can't be determined until after the donor strip is removed and grafts counted anyway.

In all honesty, this is a pretty crappy thing to do. I'd like to hear what Dr. Keene has to say about the matter before I make a final judgment.

Bill

finnari,

This sounds a little strange.I agree with Bill. I could see the doc wanting a percentage of payment as you got closer to the procedure date, but certainly not the whole payment.

Good luck with your procedure & keep us posted with some pics. I worked in the Chandler area for a few months, & used to fly into the Sky Harbor airport every week. Gotta love that "desert-scape" landscaping.

Dr. Keene does make it clear up front that the payment is due 2 weeks in advance or she will have to cancel your surgery. She is only going to charge you for what she estimated. She doesn't do the "let's go for all we can get and charge you for every graft" thing.

At some point she will have to scramble to either get your payment or cancel you.

I suppose if she got burned a few times with payment, then yes, it is reasonable to require payment before hand. I think it would be weird to not know what your HT is going to cost you utill after the work.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Dr. Cooley also has a similar practice, which I don't have any problem with. During my initial consultation when I decided to go ahead with the surgery, I had to pay $500 deposit right then. Also, since Dr. Cooley had a chance to physically examine my donor density and laxity, he had a pretty good idea of the maximum number grafts that could be extracted in one session, which at that time was estimated to be 2500 grafts, so I was quoted as such. He also said he would safely take the maximum strip size possible, so if I could get my donor laxity up during the actual surgery, he would not charge me for any extra grafts above 2500.

The full payment (taking into account the deposit I already paid) was also due 2 weeks in advance, which I am OK with. I mean, if Dr. Cooley allows his patients to pay at the day of surgery, and one of them decides to cancel the appointment the day before, it is almost impossible to fill in that vacant spot with such a short notice, so he would end up losing a lot of money and just get to keep my $500 deposit. So I can certainly understand the mentality of this practice.

One good thing that happened was that due to diligent scalp exercise, Dr. Cooley was able to extract slightly more than 2700 grafts during the surgery, and he did not charge me a single cent more, as promised.

I should note a 1000 payment was required when my surgery was scheduled and then the FULL payment was required two weeks before my procedure. I do find it odd they have this approach but like someone said they may have gotten burnt in the past. I also find it odd my personal check was not good enough. In her message to me Dr. Keene said the bank cannot guarentee the check. Pretty strange stuff happening in the financial world these days.

What really got me though was the heavy handed unprofessional approach they used. The office manager told me to send a check and instead of calling me to say that was a mistake Dr. Keene herself called me and my wife threatening immediate cancellation of the surgery. I was at work that day and had to scramble to call my bank and increase the limit on my debit card to pay for it. I did call the office and tell them I was upset at their unprofessional approach. It leaves me with mixed feelings doing so because I want a good positive vibe going into the surgery. Mabe I will bring her flowers the day of my procedure so she wont lop off the top off my head.

I understand finnari. Maybe your post will have a positive result after all.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

At the very least I think it's an unprofessional approach to doing business. How many other services do you have to pay for before they are performed?

IMO it's fair to charge a deposit to "hold the spot" because I do believe cancelations are a part of the business. However, I just don't agree with having to pay for the whole thing up front, not to mention the messy fashion in which this situation was handled. Sounds like the Dr. and staff need to get on the same page.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

I agree with hairbank on this.

I have a personal problem with this. "Threats" of surgery cancelation are very unprofessional AND makes the patient even MORE nervous to go through such a procedure.

I suppose if all of this is discussed and known in advance by the patient, then it's not as big of a deal...however, I think this shows poor business ethics IMO.

Bill

I put a deposit down of 1000.00 BEFORE surgery.

I paid the remainder for surgery the DAY I had surgery.

It is my understanding if you give clinics a couple of weeks notice, most will simply hold your deposit for a future date, etc...

I do not like the practice of paying 2 weeks in advance for surgery.

What if you wrote a check?

What if something happens and the clinic has to refund your money?

They will probably write you a check, right?

How do you know it is good?

See where I am going with this?

Poor business practice if you ask me.

A 500/1000 deposit is the safeguard for the doctor/clinic to hold a chair/day.

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

I can see the deposit being required. I can also understand SOME percentage [even 50% or so] of the $$ being required prior to surgery. I CAN'T understand/don't agree with ALL of the money being required 2 weeks before you have the procedure. If you back out after paying the percentage prior to the HT, then you pay some penalty & the doc has your cash in which to obtain this penalty payment.

Time for some empowerment. The hostile treatment is typical. You are not a second class citizen. Services have not been rendered and you should not pay a dime.

In lue of your being harrassed before surgery and the nature of the calls. Red flag.

I don't care who these people think they are.

Contact your CCco, cancel the check and the surgery.

Tell them why.

A hair on the head is worth two on the brush.

I don't work for commision.. I bust e'm for free. Thank me later.

Guys I appreciate your input. I was wondering if I was being overly sensitive in this case. It really pissed me off.

On the flip side I am sitting in her chair in 10 days and she will be hovering over me with a scalpel. She comes highly recommended as a surgeon on here. The bottom line if she does a good job I will recommend her. The business side of it is a little thorn in my side but the actual surgery is the most important thing.

Originally posted by Bill:

I agree with hairbank on this.

I have a personal problem with this. "Threats" of surgery cancelation are very unprofessional AND makes the patient even MORE nervous to go through such a procedure.

I suppose if all of this is discussed and known in advance by the patient, then it's not as big of a deal...however, I think this shows poor business ethics IMO.

Bill

That was really the part that got to me. Having the doctor call both me and my wife with threats of cancelling my surgey was completly uneccesary. My wife actually wasnt even sure what it was all about. Dr. Keene was very vague with her just telling her that "an appointment" will be cancelled by a "doctor" unless full payment was made immediatly.

finnari,

Sorry to hear about the mix up you experienced. I agree with you that there could have been more organization and diplomatic handling of the situation on part of the clinic.

However, I don't know if we should automatically equate paying the full amount two weeks prior surgery as a bad and unethical way of doing business, especially if the patient knew of this in advance.

Just looking at the several COALITION clinics alone that I've consulted with:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI>Some charge $5/graft some charge less.

<LI>Some provide travel allowance some don't.

<LI>Some charge $1000 deposit some charge $500.

<LI>Some clinics when you are doing phone consultations, you don't get to talk to the doctor while others you get to talk a lot with the doctor directly over the phone.

<LI>Some charge for even an office consultation in cities that are not their primary base.

<LI>Some offer a discount to get a procedure done by another doctor within the same clinic.

<LI>In some clinics you primarily deal with the patient educator/consultant, in other clinics you deal with the doctor directly whereby you are given the doctor's personal cell phone number after surgery that you can call in the weekends/evenings. Some doctors don't give out their personal cell phone numbers to patients.

As you can see from the above list, the way and personal style in which various coalition clinics operate can be quite different. In other words, look at the WHOLE PACKAGE of what you will be getting.

From my research with Dr. Keene's clinic, you will get a lot of personal attention from her directly. It seems like she will be in the operating room most of the time compared to other clinics, assisting placing grafts, talking to you and answering questions and being by your side all the way throughout the entire procedure - this personal attention should count for something.

This forum has always preached about not letting money/expenses/travel being a deciding factor to such a huge decision such as an HT procedure. Because at the end of the day, "There are somethings money can't buy, for everything else there's debit mastercard."

Well...

from what I've seen from Dr. Keene, I think she does good work...no doubt about that...however...

You should go to a doctor you are comfortable with, all around. Clearly, the results are the most important think, but I wouldn't want to go to someone who treated me with disrespect, especially since it will make for an awkwardly long surgery day, but that's just me.

The question remains...what are you going to do now?

Clearly you don't HAVE to go see her, though you might lose some money.

Keep us posted.

Bill

Not true. If you have been repeled or offended by a CONTRACTOR. Under false pretences prior to the job and have a valid reason not to uphold a verbal contract (in this case abusive) not only should the deposit full payment prior be reembursed.This is crap. You may be entitled to damages. Your time is valuable to. Isn't it?

Has she even seen you in person?

Likewise did she use a densiometer prior?

Where you fully informed of the risks and alternatives?

Have you signed the consent form?

Get your money back and take on the SOB role.

Go elswere.

If you have not made any of the above and do not recieve full reembursment. Triple damages might apply.

She also told your wife the nature of the call due to her monetary intrests?

Not only is that unethical it might be inviolate of current HIPPA laws.

Time to humble some of these condesending "GODS".

Originally posted by Bill:

Well...

from what I've seen from Dr. Keene, I think she does good work...no doubt about that...however...

You should go to a doctor you are comfortable with, all around. Clearly, the results are the most important think, but I wouldn't want to go to someone who treated me with disrespect, especially since it will make for an awkwardly long surgery day, but that's just me.

The question remains...what are you going to do now?

Clearly you don't HAVE to go see her, though you might lose some money.

Keep us posted.

Bill

I hear where you are coming from with the disrespect but the most important thing for me is the procedure itself. I'm a little uncomfortable going to meet her for the first time and then have her operate but I have to look at the big picture here. I took the time off work. I payed her. I really want the procedure done. She is a good surgeon. (from what others have said on here).

This was a good discussion though. This is what these forums are all about. By itself it has been somewhat cathartic.

So you haven't seen her and just wanted to bitch..?

Get your money back. The ball is in your court.

But then again your desprarate and need your balls twisted because you deserve nothing less.

Would it be possible for you to get slapped around by a mistress and find another doctor?

Because from what you say about your experience your kind of liking the humiliation.

finnari,

Dr. Keene does quality work so if you still want to go with her in no way do I think you're in jeopardy of getting a poor HT because of what has happened.

At the same time, I don't think you are overreacting one bit. No matter what a clinic's policies, it's just poor service to be dealt with in this fashion. You are the consumer and have the choice of how you want to proceed.

If you move forward with it, I'm sure she will do a fine job. If I were you, I would make sure I was brutally honest (respectfully) about how "the treatment" of payment was received on your behalf. Hopefully, it will prompt Dr. Keene to review her procedure with respect to payment collection and how she and the staff can better handle it in the future.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Originally posted by Aquarius:

So you haven't seen her and just wanted to bitch..?

Get your money back. The ball is in your court.

But then again your desprarate and need your balls twisted because you deserve nothing less.

Would it be possible for you to get slapped around by a mistress and find another doctor?

Because from what you say about your experience your kind of liking the humiliation.

That was pretty funny and you got me laughing. I love the part about the mistress. icon_smile.gif

Sorry to bring this thread back but I guess I have something to say.

Although my Doctors payment policy was very lax.

Being a business owner & having been burned before, I can understand the doctor wanting to be paid or the appointment would be cancelled.

Finnari, According to you, you were advised of her payment policy. No AmX, no personal checks,

Thats no big deal.

It sounds like you might have gotten the check in to her a little late.

How many times has a patient made an appointment only to chicken out & cancel?

She don't know if she has a patient until she gets the $$$!

The doctor cannot afford to bring in her surgical staff, open the office & not have a patient.

I see no problem with the voice message because she hadn't recieved your payment yet.

The call to the wife was probably the only real foul on the doctors part.

Finnari, don't take it personal, thats just her policy.

Go to her & get what you are paying for...a great HT!

Good luck to you...

I laughed out loud on Aquarius' post too...that was freaking hysterical.

Finnari,

Good luck to you bro. Like hairbank, I do not question her surgical skills nor do I believe she will treat you any differently because of the situation.

I personally just don't like her business practice...but that's just me.

Keep us posted bro.

Bill