Fleming-Mayer Flap

KJ

Hello,

I am 36 now. Dr. Sword performed my hair transplant several years ago and totally messed up my scalp. My transplant looks terrible. I confronted him about it and he stuttered that there was nothing that he could do.

Since then I have been trying to comb it strategically to hide the embarrassing work that he did. I have been looking at doing the Fleming-Mayer flap but I am afraid of what it may look like when I am 50+. What do you think?

• Administrators

KJ,

Welcome to our community. I'm sorry to hear about your experience with Dr. Randal Sword but not surprised. I have gotten bad reviews about his work over the years in many private emails. Apparently he runs an agressively promoted mini mill with multiple sales offices throughout Southern California.

But the good news is that in expert and competant hands you should be able to see real improvement. I think you will be encouraged by the repairs shown in our Repair Photo Gallery.

I would not suggest a flap, especially in a repair situation. The flap is radical procedure in which a large strip of hair from the side of your head is moved to the front of your head. Typically the hair direction of the moved hair strip is not in the correct direction and the resulting hairline needs to be masked with additional grafts. There is also risk of this flap not growing (skin necrosis - ie dead scalp).

I suggest you consult with the physicians recommended on this community and even consider traveling to get optimal results.

I think you have made a great step toward fixing your dilema by become active on this community.

Best wishes for a dramatic improvement.

Pat

P.S. Feel free to post photos from your eyebrows up so that people can offer your more accurate feedback.

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

I agree with Pat. I would DEFINITLEY stay away from the flap.

If you only had one procedure, I'm sure a repair by a top notch surgeon would be a slam dunk. Email your pics to several docs and set up phone consultations. After getting opinions then you can make a good decision. You can always ask the forum members opinions of your next move if you're unsure about it.

don't get a flap I have heard and read horror stories, even my doc said never do this.

Check out some top docs. Were your results poor due to poor growth, mini's or something else?

Hang out and do your research, don't make two mistakes in a row.

There was a recent article in Men's Fitness on the flap saying how great it was(total BullshiX in my opinion).

Originally posted by johnnie69:

Its rumored that Axl Rose got a flap procedure....notice that he wears a weave now....

It's also rumored that he went to Fleming and Mayer for his flap. I wonder if they did all his work (i.e. rhinoplasty, chemical peels, etc.).

Originally posted by GuitarPlayer:

It's also rumored that he went to Fleming and Mayer for his flap. I wonder if they did all his work (i.e. rhinoplasty, chemical peels, etc.).

Thats what I heard too, dont know about the additional work, but it helps to explain where he has been for the last ten yrs...

I dont know if you were a GNR fan, but axl got some songs on limewire...new songs...still using the GNR name....Check out the full version of "better"...

And then look at Bono. His HT is pretty damn good. Just goes to show that men make bad choices (Axl), regardless of how much dough they have, when the stress of hair loss takes over.

I cannot agree enough that flaps should be avoided. I've seen many patients with this procedure and have yet to see one that looks natural FROM ALL ANGLES. That is to say, a few I've seen looked fantastic from the front view. But ONLY the front view. As soon as they were viewed in profile or from the back it became extremely obvious that something was not quite right.

Most of these patients have fairly wide scars in the donor area (particularly over the ears) which were very difficult to cover.

Another problem is that IF the flap is successful, the density differential between the front and the sides is so disproportionate that it looks strange.

I think this flap procedure,scalp reductions, and plugs, should be banned from medicine for good. But, until a law is passed, there will still be those who do it. Unfortunate.

I saw one guy with a flap that was pretty cool. The doc had it on a remote control and the guy could wave it at you when you walked by. Or at least that's how it appeared anyway. Some people might like that.

• Administrators

Bezane,

I hate to contradict you, since you are normally right on when it comes to your posts. But I believe you might have mistaken the new "client friendly" hair system with a flap. Apparently the abilty to wave at passer bys is what makes this new hair system so friendly. However, I'm not sure about the remote control option.

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Originally posted by bezane:

And then look at Bono. His HT is pretty damn good. Just goes to show that men make bad choices (Axl), regardless of how much dough they have, when the stress of hair loss takes over.

Bezane,

Where did you hear that Bono had a hair transplant? I have never heard this and am a major rock n roll fan.

GuitarPlayer

GPlayer....I'm not sure, but awhile before U2 did the super bowl thing, Bono was really "losing it" then they were not seen for awhile. I did hear back then that he had some great work done.

I'll write you when I find out more. But I'm sure it's the case. I think the "style" is more important to us HT patients. We need to get contemporary cuts or cool cuts to compliment it. Often times we see guys just very conservative, but styling (good hairlines with slicked back for example) is the thing.

Talk soon.