Transplants

So many people give advice not to get hair transplants for younger patients etc because of bad experiences but the thing is... Every single story ive heard about regret or procedures going bad are from guys who had transplants in the past where it was done with plugs or other old procedures. I understand that ALOT of caution should still be taken but With a donor area these days being completely harvested with the best tecniques available from the best surgeons can you really go wrong if a well made plan is made. If money isnt an issue to one. (money is very hard to come by i kno) but in the long run i am allready a qualified tradesman and kno that $40,000 over my life time is really nothing to me for what it could do. Than what else? I just dont get that all the bad wraps HT's get for young patients are from people who have wasted alot of grafts on old bad procedures. Chime in but im just trying to see not only the bad points but also the good points for young HT'ers!

So many people give advice not to get hair transplants for younger patients etc because of bad experiences but the thing is... Every single story ive heard about regret or procedures going bad are from guys who had transplants in the past where it was done with plugs or other old procedures. I understand that ALOT of caution should still be taken but With a donor area these days being completely harvested with the best tecniques available from the best surgeons can you really go wrong if a well made plan is made. If money isnt an issue to one. (money is very hard to come by i kno) but in the long run i am allready a qualified tradesman and kno that $40,000 over my life time is really nothing to me for what it could do. Than what else? I just dont get that all the bad wraps HT's get for young patients are from people who have wasted alot of grafts on old bad procedures. Chime in but im just trying to see not only the bad points but also the good points for young HT'ers!

If you end up with a pattern similar to my neighbor, who is 42, or my dad who is 72; no amount of grafts will give you a natural look.

When your hair loss has stabalized a bit, normally in your 30's or 40's, you will have a better idea of whether a transplant will give you good coverage.

From my own personal experience, I had 300 "mini's" back at 25. Thankfully, the doctor put them an inch or so above my hairline at the time but they were becoming more and more noticeable.

We all think the technology is great now, and it is, but back in 1991 the 'mini graft' technology was supposedly the ultimate as well. And I always preach that you will be suprised at how young you will feel at 42 years old. Even if you have five kids, you'll still want to look your best. So, my advice is don't believe anyone who tells you it's only important to look good in your 20's, get a wife, and then not worry what your head looks like later. You'll be sick.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

22years......You're post is very relevant.I think people still have a tendency to focus on the negatives when discussing hair transplantation, especially when it comes to younger patients. Fact of the matter is, given the current technology in the hands of skilled doctors, with the PROPER PLANNING, the outcome can be quite positive and rewarding. Unfortunately, in the past doctors didnt seem to be cognizant of the fact that hair loss is a progressive disorder, not really focusing on the long term perspective. Also with the advent of Propecia, doctors have a better tool with which to manage a younger patients hair loss. Medical therapy is critical to a younger patient's success with hair transplantation as well as realistic expectations and an age appropriate hair transplant design by the doctor.

VP Patient & Media Relations for The Hair Loss Doctors by Robert J. Dorin 

Both Dewayne and orangehair have valid points. I tend to take a stance somewhere in between.

In my opinion, young people with minimal hair loss are not optimal hair transplant candidates. In many cases a person in this predicament will have much higher expectations since they want to restore even the slightest bit of thinning hair and pack it as densely as possible with transplanted hair.

Though this can be accomplished early on, it's not a realistic long term game plan. The fact is, nobody can truly predict exactly how far your hair loss will progress, and with a limited donor hair supply, it's always better to err on the side of caution.

In my opinion, this is why it's vital for young people with minimal hair loss to consider non-surgical hair loss treatments like Propecia (finasteride) and Rogaine (minoxidil). Not only may they help slow down or stop hair loss, but they could potentially stimulate hair regrowth and postpone or prevent the need for hair restoration surgery.

I think exceptions can be made for young balding patients, but the patient must be aware of all the risks, have the knowledge that subsequent hair transplant surgeries are inevitable, be aware that achieving a full looking head of hair is rare (especially if their baldness progresses to advanced stages), and develop and maintain very realistic goals.

Read also Am I Too Young for a Hair Transplant?.

Best wishes,

Bill

i agree with orangehair. another thing that younger patients have on their side is that technology will only get better as the years go on. it is a forgone conclusion that hair cloning, more advanced medicine and better surgical techniques will be available at some point in the future. i will say a young patient should not rely on this and pack 3000 grafts into their hairline. however, i believe it affords a young patient the opportunity to go ahead with a smaller procedure at a young age.