Soft vs. Hard hairline

Gorpy

One of the considerations a prospective patient

must consider is hairline technique. This picture

of my hairline would definitely be considered a "soft" hairline.

It starts with low density and fades back into more density.

Others would definitely want a "harder" hairline.

I can understand that. Which technique is better?

Neither. It's just a consideration for each

patient to decide.

hairline1.jpg

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

One of the considerations a prospective patient

must consider is hairline technique. This picture

of my hairline would definitely be considered a "soft" hairline.

It starts with low density and fades back into more density.

Others would definitely want a "harder" hairline.

I can understand that. Which technique is better?

Neither. It's just a consideration for each

patient to decide.

hairline1.jpg

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

My Photo Album

Looks damn good. Soft is always better but I think it also depends on the existing hair and the features of the persons face..

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Guest Cousin_It

I agree, it is dependent on the persons natural hair density. Guys with fine hair would look more natural with a softer hairline, while those with thick, dense hair would prefer the harder hairline to avoid the thinning look.

I agree with what you both say about exising hair density. Age would also play a role. As an old fart (50) a soft hairline looks perfectly natural. What about a young guy? Could a young guy get away with a soft hairline? Maybe, if he already has a high level of hair loss. Most young guys are seeking to regain that old thick hairline that they so fondly remember.

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

My Photo Album

I think soft hairlines are always better...but let's not confuse "hard" and "soft" hairlines with density. Surely there are corelated, however, someone can still have a soft hairline but still have a lot of density in the hairline...it would still just be less dense than behind the hairline...more of a blend if you will. I believe a hard hairline has a tendency to look unnatural as a patient gets older. Just my thoughts.

Nice picture Gorpy. Hairline looks great!

Bill

Thanks Bill,

Maybe soft vs. hard is the wrong terminology. But there is also a lot of talk about hairlines of 50 per cm2 or more. Obviously mine is no where near that. I think certain doctors have a tendency to go for more density at the edge of the hairline. Let's just say they can both be "soft", but mine is more of a fading hairline.

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

My Photo Album

Hey Gorpy,

I would consider your hairline to be soft. That's why I said we don't want to confuse it with density. You simply don't have the density that others might have to even create a harder hairline. Take a look at Bushy's blog. In his first HT, he had more of a hard hairline, but his second HT, even though there is more density, it has a more soft appearance.

But you're right...many docs do go for density at the edge of the hairline...as long as there is enough density BEHIND the hairline, it should look fine...otherwise, it will look unnatural

Bill

Gorpy you look great BTW!

No disrespect to Dr. Feller or the patient but this thread really brought home the fact to me that softer hairlines for the "maturing" man are always best.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/showthread.php?t=147092

No doubt it's a great head of hair... I just think that a softer less-densified look would've been better for this gentleman. Time does catch up with you eventually...

"densified": yes, a word I made up! icon_biggrin.gif

'06/2500 w/Dr. Keene

'07/1500 w/Dr. Keene

My Hair Loss Weblog

Originally posted by Gorpy:

It's just a consideration for each

patient to decide.

True. It's also up to the doctor to help with this decision depending on the patients circumstances. I believe that if a patient wants a harder hairline and that the doctor (Coalition doctor, of course) believes that it will work, the patient should be given what he/she wants. Just my opinion.

Good thread...........

Gorpy- I like your hairline..............not really because it's age-appropriate, I just like the natural fade better than pure density up front.

Hairline work is so important because many of us wear our hair back off our foreheads. I supposed much of it is personal preference.

Midi- I agree with your observation about the gentleman in the thread you posted........probably not so much as the hairline being hard......more about the proportion. He has a real "established" hairline which I think looks good but, if I were him, I would have opted for maybe a little more midscalp/crown work as he seems to need to grow the hair very long for coverage. No complaints for this guy, I'm growing mine a little longer after my crownwork to cover the crown but not that long.......... It just doesn't seem to be as balanced as I would prefer. So, I suppose my comments are a little off thread with respect to him. My point being IF I could choose, I'd rather have a balanced look front to back versus needing 4" or more of growth for overall coverage.

I would always opt for a little softer hairline with good density immediately behind. It seems even those with "chia pet" hair seem to eventually start to thin at some point in their life.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

I like the softer hairline look, it blends well and is less likely to be detected. A solid wall of hair in the front would draw a flag if the crown is very thin. Most of us do not have the density thru the whole scalp to pull off a hard hairline.

NoBuzz