Newbie Question

Hi, I just found this forum, and I've been browsing it, and the learning center.

I've really been encouraged by it. I'm 52, and although I've always had a high hairline, in the last few years I've begun to thin significantly up top, and my hairline has dropped back...well too far. I always promised myself when this day came: NO COMBOVERS!

Anyway, now for my questions: I've read what appears sensible advice, which is don't pick your doctor by location. Fair enough, but I'm in Indiana, so lets say I want to go to Dr. Hasson in Vancouver? Do I fly up there for a consultation, and then fly back home, and then fly all the way back again for surgery?

Would I be able to get a consultation, and then if it looks good head into the back room to go under the long knives?

How would that work?

cheers,

mark h

Hi, I just found this forum, and I've been browsing it, and the learning center.

I've really been encouraged by it. I'm 52, and although I've always had a high hairline, in the last few years I've begun to thin significantly up top, and my hairline has dropped back...well too far. I always promised myself when this day came: NO COMBOVERS!

Anyway, now for my questions: I've read what appears sensible advice, which is don't pick your doctor by location. Fair enough, but I'm in Indiana, so lets say I want to go to Dr. Hasson in Vancouver? Do I fly up there for a consultation, and then fly back home, and then fly all the way back again for surgery?

Would I be able to get a consultation, and then if it looks good head into the back room to go under the long knives?

How would that work?

cheers,

mark h

I think you would be just fine doing a online consultation then coming here for your procedure, if you so decide after you have educated your self. I also would encourage you to spend some time reading a lot of posts on here and ask a lot of questions, good luck.

As a matter of fact, one post I read mentioned something called "shockloss", which is apparently existing hair giving up the ghost because of shock over the surgery.

Is that a real issue? I mean, I've got hair on top of my head, its just getting kind of wispy...ugh I hate that word, but there it is...its true.

Anyway...shockloss...a real concern?

thx,

mark h

Yeah shockloss is always a concern when trauma is applied around native hair. There are 2 types of shockloss temporary and permanent, if your hair is in the last cycle of shedding then it may be lost forever, if its not then it is thought to grow back between the 6-8 months range.

There are a couple of things you can do to minimize shockloss, 1 is to get on Propecia as it is thought to strengthen and maintain existing hair - it may even help you achieve some regrowth. The other is to go to a good doctor who uses small minimally invasive incisions which will minimize the trauma to the recipient area. With H&W I believe you have that area covered.

Good Luck, An online consultation should be sufficient before flying over there only once for surgery. I did the same for my HT with the Shapiro Medical Group.

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

Mark,

Most reputable, experienced and well respected doctors have a fairly full schedule - I have seen a lot of positive press on Hasson so I would imagine same or next day consultation/HT is highly unlikely. When I went to Dr. Cooley, it was nearly three weeks in between the two based on his backlog of patients. However, it certainly would not hurt to ask Hasson's office in advance what options are available. Best of luck.

Regards,

Mike

3,200 on 1/4/06 Dr. Cooley

It looks like I can get online consultation for both Dr. Hasson/Dr. Wong or Dr. Cooley, the latter of which is also at the top of my list.

Dr. Cooley could actually be a long car drive from where I live in Indiana, and that's more appealing to me these days than a flight, although I have a friend I could visit in Seattle.

With the stock market down so much, I don't have much play money for this sort of thing, but my growing baldness is really starting to depress me, so I'm thinking it may be foolish to wait.

Dr. Cooley seems to have the same rep as the Hasson/Wong clinic yes?

cheers and thanks for all replies,

mark h

Here's another question. It seems that every blog and profile I read that's had HT is also taking propecia.

Is that the case? Frankly, that is something I hoped to avoid because it can have sexual side effects. I'm 52 and I don't need an extra push in the wrong direction!

thx,

mark h

Originally posted by Mark H:

Here's another question. It seems that every blog and profile I read that's had HT is also taking propecia.

Is that the case? Frankly, that is something I hoped to avoid because it can have sexual side effects. I'm 52 and I don't need an extra push in the wrong direction!

thx,

mark h

I think at your age it doesn't really matter unless:

1. Your hairloss is very fast and very aggressive.

2. There's a chance your donour will thin out if left untreated.

The above can be "guessed"/approximated based on family history, although this is rarely completely accurate. You should probably raise your concerns during the consultation. In person consultations are always the best, as photos are very deceiving.

My hair loss has been slow until recently. Recently it seems to have speeded up a bit. I guess that's because the thinness has reached some sort of point where its really starting to register with me, whereas before it was subtle.

Man a consultation trip to seatle...assuming Hasson does that in his Seatle office would be kind of expensive. I had better think that over though given my total committment level anyway.

thx,

mark h

Very Definately Dr. Cooley appears top notch, and I took note of the fact that he recently hosted a seminar for his colleques. That speaks of respect among his peers.

However, I just spoke on the phone with my friend in Seattle, and I've got a berth up there when I need it. Makes a big diff having a friend and a place to stay when you're contemplating something like this.

Working up the nerve to give Hasson/Wong a call today and scheduling. ...ulp!

mark h

Holy Mackerel Andy! I just got off the phone with Mike Ferko of Hansson and Wong, and it looks like I'll be heading up for a consultation in a couple of weeks.

Before I called I'd taken a photo of the top of my head...which motivated the call icon_eek.gif

IMAGE014.jpg.1c8bc4ad960c0f81e50f1044fb5f4ad9.jpg

Originally posted by Mark H:

thx,

mark h

True, it can have sexual side effects, but I am 50 and have been on it for over a year and have experienced no effects. You can always try it and if you experience them, they will go away after you quit from what I hear.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Hi Mark,

I just thought I'd add my two cents.

I'll address a few things here by number:

1. Propecia: It doesn't hurt to try it out...read the facts on Propecia's website...sexual side effects are not very common but they can happen. Additionally, if you start having sexual side effects you can simply stop the medicine and you will regain your sexual drive. I must add, however, that I don't know how many studies were performed on men over 40...I thought most of the studies of effectiveness were done on men under 40 or maybe 45.

2. Consultations: Get a few consultations from a few different docs. I myself have an HT planned with Dr. Hasson for 3K-4K grafts on October 19th. This will be my third (and hopefully last surgery). My first two surgeries were with two different docs. You probably wouldn't need to visit the office for in person consultations unless you want to. I did my consultation with Hasson and Wong online by sending them digital photos of all angles.

3. Docs: Dr. Cooley and Dr. Hasson (the two you mentioned) are both very high and reputable docs who have performed excellent surgeries.

4. Advice: Do a search on this form for patients who have had surgeries done by the docs you are considering....especially look for those who had similar hairloss patterns.

5. Shockloss: Shockloss is always a concern when transplanting new hairs into areas with existing "native" hair. "Native" hair is any hair that is not transplanted. Since you've never had an HT, all your hair is native. The way I look at shockloss...there are two different types: temporary and permanent. Temporary shockloss is common because of trauma to the scalp...but all that hair will grow back between 4 months-12 months along with the transplanted hair. Permanent shockloss occurs one of two ways: 1. Hair is transected during the surgery (however, going to a highly reputable doc, you shouldn't have that problem...this would mean the doc really messed up and is using old technology) and 2. Native hair that was going to fall out anyway may not grow back. This is why it's good to be on Propecia for awhile first so that it will strengthen the existing weakening hair.

I hope this helps.

Bill

Mark H,

I'm 47 and Dr. Cooley does highly recommend Propecia (1 mg tab every other day) to maintain what was already there. I did notice a drop in my drive but it only lasted a month or so and then it went back to "business as usual" since then.

Regards,

Mike

3,200 on 1/4/06 Dr. Cooley

Mark,

I went to see Dr.Hasson in Vancouver for a consultation a month ago and will be flying up for my procedure next week. As for the extra cost of going once before your procedure, sure its not a finical plus but you really get a sense of familiarity with the office, city, food, staff..etc this may seem dorky to some. Again I am going from CA so your flight time will be longer, but still feel its worth it. Most posts above are pointing you in the right direction get on propecia and stabilize your current hair (3-6months). I think both docs' you're debating are excellent, lastly I feel your pain on the market...crap stocks cost me some grafts. Any how I will write a post after my procedure next week and drop some pics shortly after that.

Good luck on your quest for hair,

Bayscholar

Bill,

To be honest I am not looking forward to the flight home(used almost all my FFmiles to upgrade to 1st Class for the way home only), I have a lot of vowels in my name(persian/american) so I will have to take my hat or bandanna off to go through customs should be a kick to the people working that shift. Lastly getting the same feeling as back when I played sports in high school, thinking about nothing but the game coming up. Glad I choose Dr.Hasson or I would be more nervous then regular, one bright spot..don't have to worry about my jump shot being on.

good luck in October Bill, will keep you posted

bayscholar

Good luck to all those heading out to go under the knife.

As for me, I fear the knife less than one of those little pills. I think propecia is a deal breaker for me, except as a short term solution to reduce shock loss. Long term though...uh uh...I'd rather go Picard.

Hi Mark,

A reputable surgeon should take a conservative approach to reconstructing a hairline. Even for those who have a good supply of donor hair, EVERYONE'S supply of donor hair is limited. So, most opt for decent density without the hairline of an 18 year-old rather than go for the ultra-youthful look then chance running out of donor hair and risk being bald or badly thinning everywhere else.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.