new to board

Hi there,

I am new to this board. Been reading for awhile. decided to sign up. First of all, i think this board is great. It gives those like myself and others with hair issues hope and comfort.

I am considering a HT within the next year or so. I am 35 and have been thinning for about 10 years. I find myself thinking more and more about my hairloss, as I loose more and more hair of course icon_smile.gif. I wouldn't say it is devastating me, but I will admit that I would be happier if I could keep it, and in this day and age, this is becoming more and more accessable and common considering advances in this area. I am heading towards a shaved head, but thinking of alternatives (if I don't like the shaved head look). I would seriously consider Dr Rahal due to his positive reviews and impressive photos, and the fact that I am also in his town helps. Does anyone else have any other useful information about the clinic and how your personal experience went, both good and bad.

This is one of those things that if I want to get done, I want it done right and done with a surgeon who is one of the best available. I've read many stories about HT having to be fixed and I don't want to be one of those people.

Thanks in advance, and I am looking forward to chatting with you guys.

Rich

Hi there,

I am new to this board. Been reading for awhile. decided to sign up. First of all, i think this board is great. It gives those like myself and others with hair issues hope and comfort.

I am considering a HT within the next year or so. I am 35 and have been thinning for about 10 years. I find myself thinking more and more about my hairloss, as I loose more and more hair of course icon_smile.gif. I wouldn't say it is devastating me, but I will admit that I would be happier if I could keep it, and in this day and age, this is becoming more and more accessable and common considering advances in this area. I am heading towards a shaved head, but thinking of alternatives (if I don't like the shaved head look). I would seriously consider Dr Rahal due to his positive reviews and impressive photos, and the fact that I am also in his town helps. Does anyone else have any other useful information about the clinic and how your personal experience went, both good and bad.

This is one of those things that if I want to get done, I want it done right and done with a surgeon who is one of the best available. I've read many stories about HT having to be fixed and I don't want to be one of those people.

Rich

Guest wanthairs

HT....

Ive heard nothing but good things about Dr. Rahal. He seems to have many loyal clients.

Just make sure you get on 5% minoxidil, Finasteride, and nizoral shampoo, to try and stabilise your hairloss so you wont be chasing it with transplants for the rest of your life.....

Ditto

Can't add anything to the great comment above me

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Originally posted by HTinthefuture:

Hi there,

Rich

thanks, I've been using nizoral for about a year now, seems to help with redness and itchy scalp, which I've had since a kid. I was on finasteride a few years back (4?) but stopped due to side effect (sex drive) but now thinking I should have stayed on.

This hair loss thing sure is confusing though. My brother has tons of hair at 39, father thinned out a bit but he is 60, both grandparents on either side died with full heads of hair. One thing going for me is that I have light colored hair...it seems to cover better due to less contrast with hair and skin.

Regarding the finasteride...is this something that is reccommended for the rest of your life, even after a hair transplant?

thanks!

HTinthefuture,

Unfortunately, with medicine, in order to keep the benefits, you have to remain on them for the rest of your life. Even then, some medications MAY lose effectiveness over the years.

But it is still your best bet at maintaining the existing native hair that you have.

Bill

Hate the repetition but I feel it is important to part company with my peeps here on the issue of meds. Everyone jumps immediately with this crazy advice to get on meds. That advice is naive in my opinion. The clinicals on those meds are sketchy leading up to their approval. For example, is there toxicity involved? Why the possibility of loss of sex drive? And here's one for the way off future: Suppose you're on those meds for 20 years and have had HT's and then at age 55 figure to scrap the Propecia because another doc may feel it is interfering with a condition like prostate complications, heart condition whatever. What then will the HT's look like when the natives fall out. Back to the surgeon 20 years later? Maybe it might even look ridiculous.

Granted, I am anti-drug. Hardcore. 750 million went into Propecia research so you may think all is well. But I say they'll do whatever they have to, to get that drug approved and sell it to avoid losing all that dough. Go ahead and trust them at your own risk.

Remember, Propecia works, but was intended to take it for 50 years? I hear people here without hesitation to get on the Propecia/Rogaine regimen because if you're young you can't predict your hairloss. Well I can predict it. YOU'RE GOING BALD. Not a knock. Just the truth. I remember me trying to conceal mine with a new hairstyle during tradeshow. Someone looked at me noticing the new do and I said...."I know I got scalped." They said...."No, you're going bald." Right then and there I knew it was out.

Many of us are hoping to keep all we can until something better comes out that might possibly replace propecia and have far better results. Thats my reason for going on it...well, that and being only 24yrs old I feel like I am being robbed of my youth.

Bezane,

It's good to hear the other side of the medication argument, and certainly I can understand there are legitmate concerns there.

Keep in mind, however, though you experienced sexual side effects, not everyone does. Actually, they are supposedly quite rare. I can only speak experiencially with certainty...I've been on finasteride for 3 years without side effects.

But I agree...

I don't know if I want to take this medication for 50 years...

There is a part of me considering minimizing it's use and eventually coming off of the drug. Of course, if I do, I may have to consider the fact that the hair in the area below my crown may fall out - of course, it may not.

Either way...I think it's good to consider the medication, if not only for a time and get the most benefit as possible - while keeping some donor supply in RESERVE in the event of future loss.

Bill

Chalk me up as one who has had no side effects from finasteride.

Studies are like 2-5% have sexual side effects. Of course, those are from Merck's studies who sell the name brand Propecia.

NoBuzz

No side effect here either

I don't plan on taking it forever, only until they develop another treatment..

It can really be dangerous to consider a HT without stabilizing your hairloss. If you are a N6 or 7 then it doesn't matter

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

My point is this guys, and I'm glad by the way you don't have side effects that you know of, is that this board is a bit more advanced than your average say what you want forum. So I think it's kind of bad to jump right to meds without consideration that they are dangerous.

But I can't imagine your statement Mjrb that it is DANGEROUS to not consider meds or stabilizing your hair loss. How? Dangerous?

Remember when taking chemicals it's not unusual for long term negative effects to be realized after time.

My friend Nick was on it. Loved it. His wife loved the amazing result. They are smart people and took great care to keep her away from the Propecia. He now has two autistic children. Certainly not blaming Propecia but he talks about it all the time. The medical community rarely will police marginal events.

Pat and this community have the responsibility to warn people of the dangers as long as we all consider ourselves budding experts.

And by the way, I could care less about the sexual thing compared with the unknown. Do you understand what this drug does to help men when used as a prostate drug? Yes, it's five times the dose but.....

As far as the waiting for something else, well that doesn't really make sense to me but if it works for others so be it.

Once you get good results from the Propecia you're hooked. Only a transplant can substitute it.

I'm not trying to play like I'm better than anyone here, but with transplants struggling to make acceptable results the mainstream, there's a huge need for thinking outside the box. That's what I'm doing. Realizing that drug dependence whether physical or cosmetic/physical is bad. Period. It was discovered by mistake so they use it. Make huge huge huge money from it. It's the same as fighting the big bad Bosleys and such. Big money, so no one wants to hear it.

I also advocate programs for 20 year-olds. Why not? That's when they need it most. Many pediatric solutions have been pioneered with eventual adult growth complication factored in.

Before this turns into a profit only industry, the consumer should step up and make these doctors and pharmas meet the demand.

And on the subject of new advancements, things like cloning have been sketchy. And unfortunately I'll have to be anti-drug here until I get kicked off the site. If that was the case then obviously I'd be onto something.

I've talked to several of these doctors and off the record they would rather do a full transplant but Propecia has been such a strong marketer that patients demand it and get it. It's a big part of the business.

So like I stated here before. Guys do more research when buying a car than buying a transplant. That's why there's the dreaded clinics. And the dreaded stories.

And one last note when researching Propecia. Read carefully. Most sites (9 out of 10 in my estimate) are simply stocked with literature provided by Merck. And 2% side effects is high. And if it were .10% severe side effects that is still high. So when some of you say, hey....doesn't effect me, well that's great for you but should not act as an endorsement.

Also Merck claims that the mentioned side effects were also in the placebo group. No way I'm accepting that. Their study was also in 1800 men. Not tiny but not what I call a ringing endorsement.

To end this for now I also want to state that I'm not one to make a big deal out of these things usually but I was mesmerized by the posts here to newbies that jump right into telling them to get on Propecia that it started seeming like a Merck advertisement.

bezane, I hear where you are coming from.

although the side effects may be greatly exagerated on some of the forums, I do not reommend drugs to anyone anymore.

We are not doctors, pharmacist or scientist.

We should not openly recommend taking drugs to everyone that comes along.

Let thier Doctor tell them if it is safe & prescribe it to them, not us!

Hi

to be honest,it feel to me like a Merck bashing session. If you truly feel this strongly about "drugs" Let's also throw out the following

smoking

anti-depressants

Alcohol

all arficial sweetener

Over the counter medicine

All pollutants

Guys, let's be reasonable here. Although I do agree drug do carry possible side effects,you are looking at all the possible complications..

I don't understand what you mean by thinking outside the box. I totally disagree with Benzane claiming " the HT industry is struggling for acceptable results".. I don't know who's transplants you are looking at but there are plenty superior results out there..

What other options are there for hairloss?

Wigs, drugs, or HT's

any suggestions?

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Originally posted by bezane:

Better to be robbed of your youth than your penis.

Hey bezane, when you stopped finax did the side effects go? Thats crucial for me. If the sides are temporary I will give it a try, but I want to hear that from the mouth of the horse before I take that step.

yeah, I have often thought of the long term effects of the drugs, as nobody right now knows what they are since they haven't been around enough. also, add up propecia, rogaine, nizoral over 20+ years, and you might have spent less on a good HT. I have thought of that as well. My use for drugs would be to maintain as much as possible before having the $$$ and nerve to go for a HT.

Not to bash the drugs either, but I have read studies and polls on other hair boards that suggest that the side effects are much more common than the % stated by the drug companies.

anyway, needless to say....I did have side effects which made me decide to go off them, perhaps they would have eventually gone away. shedding seems to be a common thing, but at this point shedding would be much more noticable for me than 4 years ago. I dont' want to shed what little I have left and be one of the few % that it does not work for.

Also, what about diet...there is all kinds of new info on Vitamin D etc helping with hair. It is a hormone after all. Are people balding more now and more quickly then they did 20 years ago. its all interesting stuff and there are still so many unknowns, but the bottom line is I just want to do the best thing for me.

Hopefully, in 20 years time they will have cured baldness, although those who dont have to deal with it dont really consider it an illness persay. I am sure $$$ is better spent trying to cure cancer, but there is definately a ton of money to be had in curing the baldness thing.

Also Merck claims that the mentioned side effects were also in the placebo group. No way I'm accepting that. Their study was also in 1800 men. Not tiny but not what I call a ringing endorsement.

To end this for now I also want to state that I'm not one to make a big deal out of these things usually but I was mesmerized by the posts here to newbies that jump right into telling them to get on Propecia that it started seeming like a Merck advertisement.

good points bezane. I am no study group guru, but I did study some psychology and 1800 men for a drug like this is not a big study group.

anyway, if I had to pick it would be HT over drugs for life. at least with HT the side effects are right in front of you, and they have been around for years now, and improving a lot.

Better to be robbed of your youth than your penis.

I researched the drug for about 1 month before making my decision. I knew the risks....all of them. I read all the bad posts with all the good posts and made my own decision. I have not once reccomended Propecia to anyone other than say, "do the research and make your own decision." For the record I have NO sides as of right now(been on for 4.5 months) and my girlfriend would agree. I will, however, get off the drug for about 6 months before I ever decide to have kids. But, that is a LONGGGGG way away and condoms and BC make that almost a certainty.