NYC TOP SURGEONS..?? WHO ARE THEY.... RECOMMENDATIONS

Dave1234

I've been starting my research and went to Bosley ( Dr Alpeter) and also MHR ... any opinons on these vs going to a private surgeon... I would like to get this surgery completed by the holiday time and would like to know any or all comments or recommendations for NYC surgeons... Also someone suggested Dr. Kassimir.??

I've been starting my research and went to Bosley ( Dr Alpeter) and also MHR ... any opinons on these vs going to a private surgeon... I would like to get this surgery completed by the holiday time and would like to know any or all comments or recommendations for NYC surgeons... Also someone suggested Dr. Kassimir.??

I'm pretty new here, but everyone will pretty much tell you to stay away from the chains, Bosley and MHR. There are quite a few very good doctors in NYC, which I'm sure people will post about from first hand experience, or try the find feature.

From what I've read, going to Bosley or MHR would do, but there's a certain level of artistry that the coalition doctors provide. I myself had my first surgery done at MHR here in the DC area and wasn't overly impressed, and plan to have my second surgery soon, most likely in NY, but am still trying to narrow down the best doctor for my particular needs.

God, you really are proposing the worst of the worst there. Let me make this easy: stay away from Bosley, MHR, and especially from Kassmir. Focus your NYC research on True, Dorin, Bernstein, and Feller. You'll save yourself a lot of trouble and heartache. ONLY consider going to a private practice, not a chain group.

Dave,

Welcome to our community.

You have gotten some good advice from our forum members.

At the Hair Transplant Network, we recommend only those hair restoration physicians who perform state of the art hair transplantation (follicular unit hair transplantation)

Those who achieve the next level of standards by performing ultra refined follicular unit transplantation are invited to join our coalition.

I recommend considering and consulting with the following coalition physicians. They are listed below in no particular order:

Dr. Bernstein

Dr. True

Dr. Dorin

Dr. Feller

Dr. Rose

Dr. Epstein

Feel free to use the "find" feature of our hair restoration discussion forum to view patient before/after photos and read real patient experiences.

Best wishes,

Bill

Hey Bill,

I checked out your photos. They look great. I have a couple questions. Going to Canada, who removed your staples? Did you hang around there all that time?

My story;

I'm also looking for a good Dr. I think I'll be going to NY for this. I'm from Boston. I have had a procedure done like almost 8 yrs ago. I had 500 grafts in the front. In this time my hair loss has continued. And I don't think it was the best work done. I look in the mirror and i can notice the grafts. They seem to be 4 hair grafts with very little 1 and 2's. I have a list of doctors I want to visit. Dr Feller, Dr bernstien and Dr true. They seem to get good praise on this site.

Thanks

-Tom

Well good news .. I just made appointments with Feller who is very local to me... Bernstein and Dorin ( I was told he practiced under True.. a litlte younger and may be better suited..??) Have I missed any... I did do the Bosley and MHR and again too much agressive marketing and sales pitches, plus they keep lowering thier prices which started in the $6 per graph range... now they are down to around $4.. thoughts... opinions..?? Dr Dorin vs. True his associate...??

I went to Dr. True all three HT's

Him and Dr. Dorin are very good in my opinion

Good luck

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Dave,

Congratulations on consulting with some of the finest doctors in NY.

I have provided an inclusive list of all our coalition doctors for you above to consider with links to their profile. Check them out.

Tom,

I only stayed in Canada for the surgery day and the post op cleaning the next day. I actually removed the staples myself however, I wouldn't necessarily advise doing this. Stapes can be removed by a spouse, friend, or virtually anyone. If you feel more comfortable having a doctor do it, you can make an appointment with your general practioner who can remove them for you.

Best wishes,

Bill

I used Kassimir approx 5 years ago and paid 15,000. He was not using the newer techniques. He did an ok job as fae as the incision but I didn't achieve the results I wanted and no I didn't do my research then!

• 2 months later...
Originally posted by Dave1234:

I HAD SURGERY AT MHR WHAT A NIGHTMARE AND RIPPOFF

Originally posted by MarylandGuy:

I'm pretty new here, but everyone will pretty much tell you to stay away from the chains, Bosley and MHR. There are quite a few very good doctors in NYC, which I'm sure people will post about from first hand experience, or try the find feature.

From what I've read, going to Bosley or MHR would do, but there's a certain level of artistry that the coalition doctors provide. I myself had my first surgery done at MHR here in the DC area and wasn't overly impressed, and plan to have my second surgery soon, most likely in NY, but am still trying to narrow down the best doctor for my particular needs.

I HAD MY SURGERY DONE BY MHR IT WAS A NIGHTMARE AND A RIPPOFF

My NY HT Surgeon Search previously posted:

Sharing my NY HT MD Search:

I recently decided to learn more about getting an HT. I am 50 and gradually losing the battle against my receding hairline and expanding baldness in my crown. This website provided me with exceptional resources and a great way to educate myself based on contributing member experiences. I live ?? hour from NYC and decided to look into the local HT community. I was willing to travel if I felt that the result would be enhanced. I am a physician and would prefer to be able to see my surgeon if post op complications arose.

1. Bosley NYC

At the time I decided to pursue HT options, I put myself on Finasteride and Rogaine. I set up an appt with a Bosley consultant on Long Island. Interesting experience:

I was told that I needed 2100 grafts and the surgery would be performed by 1 of 2 MD s in Manhattan. I asked about them and he scribbled down their names and said most patients prefer to just book the surgery rather than meeting the docs first. "It would save you an extra trip to the city".

The proposed fee including operating $12,300 plus an O.R. fee of between $500 ??“ 1000, depending upon the day of the week.

OK, I did have a pleasant chat with the consultant and he provided me with a fair amount of detail which helped me realize that I need to conduct more detailed research.

2. Dr. Jeffrey Epstein; Miami & NY ??“ I was able to get an appt with him while he was in NY. He mailed me several times and was very helpful and professional. His e mail informed me that he would be glad to evaluate photos and give me his opinion. Also, "my fees typically range from $3.50 to $4 per graft, and procedures are performed in both Miami (where fees are a bit less) and NYC".

I met with him in NYC and was quite impressed with his professional demeanor and surgical results. He answered my questions and recommended 2800-2900 grafts. He did not require shaving of the recipient area which seemed to be a plus. His office manager showed me photos and provided me with a proposed surgery fee of $4.20/graft for a Miami procedure and a 30% premium to have the surgery performed in NYC.

I was quite interested in pursuing the Miami option which appeared to be a common practice for many of his patients. I was told that they would e-mail with available dates and a patient in NY to speak to.

Things were looking positive and I planned to seriously consider Dr. Epstein. I started looking into flights to FL and planning a mini vacation later in the year.

Dr. Epstein said I would be contacted with the name of a physician in my area who had an HT with him. His office manager said she would call me when they returned to Miami with available surgery dates.

Well, unfortunately I was never contacted by his office with the information promised. Fortunately, I had consults lined up with Dr.s Feller, Bernstein and True.

3. Dr. Alan Feller - I was a bit reluctant to consult with him because I could not shave my entire recipient site. However, I read several posts and Spex advised someone to go and ask the doctor in person. His online results and feedback were quite impressive.

Dr. Feller was very professional and willing to share his experiences of the HT process on his computer to demonstrate examples. He drew an outline of a proposed procedure on my head and explained various options available to me. When I asked what he would recommend, he provided specific answers based upon my needs and criteria. He gave me the most thorough exam of any of my previous consults and seemed animated and demonstrated his passion for his work.

No pressure, just his "humble advice."

We discussed his post op protocol, staples vs sutures, shaving the recipient area and realistic healing time frames. Fortunately, he would only need to shave the front hairline wedge that he drew on my head. He claimed that very few surgeons were capable of transplanting the density that he performs. This shaved area could be covered by hair posterior to this region. He would then fill in most of the balding crown area and believed that the Propecia I recently started might provide some benefit. He was a bit more skeptical of the Rogaine but encouraged me to continue using both.

His fee amounted to approx $3.58/graft for 3000 grafts which seemed very reasonable.

I was extremely impressed with his approach to surgery and left his office in excellent spirits. On my drive home, I cancelled my consultations with Dr. True and Bernstein since I believe I found the ideal HT surgeon for me. As an added bonus, he was in close proximity to my home and his fees were lower than all of the physicians I planned to consult with.

Hi dave

You can't go wrong with Dr Feller ,he is one of the best in the world .

Below are links to my threads

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/showthread.php?t=154859

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/showthread.php?t=152301

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/showthread.php?t=153057

i hope that helps

richie

2100 crown grafts

Dr Feller

nov 2007

If you want the most modern, ultra-refined HT work done in the NYC area you want to go to Dr.Feller. Bernstein is a good doc, but he's very conservative. True and Dorin do good work from what I've seen but they seem to do less megasessions and more multi-sessions. Of course, it depends on your approach to your hairloss. I chose to do a large session in one shot. Other people do several smaller sessions.

Also, if you're in Boston you might want to consider the top docs in Canada: Rahal and H&W. Good luck!

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com