Question/Answer: What should I consider when researching hair transplantation:

Many people ask about hair transplantation on our forums and the best way to go about it.

Before anyone can advise them, however, it's important that they consider the answers to the following standard questions:

1. Age: How old are you? Age can be a determining factor as to whether or not you are a good candidate for a hair transplant. Typically, the younger one is, the riskier it is to jump into surgery. Hairloss is unpredictable and donor supply is limited. Young people should proceed with caution when considering a hair transplant. I recommend that the younger folks read "Am I too young for a hair transplant" at http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/showthread.php?t=152790

2. Norwood Scale and Graft Calculation: What level are you on the Norwood scale of hair loss? The Norwood scale will give a person a good idea as to how many grafts they would need in the event that they are a good candidate for an HT. Take your calculated Norwood level and multiple it by 1000 (conservative) to 1500 (liberal) grafts and that will determine approximately how many grafts are needed to achieve "decent" coverage and density of your balding regions. You might want to consider using our animated graft calculator which can be found here: http://www.hairlosslearningcenter.org/hair-loss-content/mm/introa.html. Additional animations can be found here: http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/MM-center.asp

Please Note: Hair loss is unpredictable. Just because one might be a Norwood (NW) 3 today, doesn't mean that person won't end up a NW 6 in the future. See number 3 below for how to minimize the risk of future loss.

3. Medication: In order to keep any native hair one might have, getting on finasteride and/or minoxodil is an important step to consider for long term hair restoration. Hair transplantation is NOT a cure for baldness. Instead, .it is a surgical procedure to move hair from one area of one's scalp to another. Again, hair loss is unpredictable. There is no way to really determine with certainly how much hair one will lose. So to lower the risk of losing more existing hair, medication might help slow down or stop hair loss. One might even re-grow some of their hair.

3. What is your family pattern of hair loss on both your mother and father's side? Though hair loss IS unpredictable, you can at least use the overall picture as a guide of sorts in determining where you MIGHT indeed fall.

4. Pictures: If you ask these questions on a forum, it is a good idea to post pictures of your individual hair loss situation. Post higher resolution photos that shows hair loss in detail. This will give people a chance to evaluate your situation and give you live feedback. NOTE: Most people on discussion forums are NOT professionals and should not be taken as medical advice. But those who have gone through this and are knowledgeable about hair transplantation should be able to give some sound advice. Always double check the advice you were given with a doctor.

5. Expectations and Goals: It is extremely important to know what you expect and want out of hair transplant surgery. Discuss your goals and expectations with your physician in order to ensure that your expectations are realistic. Keep in mind that donor supply is limited. The amount of loss verses the amount of available donor hair will determine whether or not your goals can be met.

6. Cost: Hair Transplantation is expensive. Typical costs are between $4-$5 per graft for the first 2000 grafts and $2.50 per graft thereafter per session. Taking into consideration your norwood level, your expectations and goals, your available donor hair (based on laxity and density), the cost of such a surgery CAN end up being well over $10,000. Often times, patients with a LOT of loss, end up needing 2 sessions to achieve their goals. This will of course become a separate fee.

Once you've considered the above, consider consulting with one of our coalition surgeons http://www.hairlosslearningcenter.org/hair-loss-content...s/our_physicians.asp who have a proven track record of consistent and positive results.

Research, patience, and education is the key to a successful surgery. Research and find a doctor that has a proven track record and one you are personally impressed with. Do not go by one person's results alone...research a dozen or more real patients to see their results. I'd even take the time to follow a patient fresh out of surgery who is a faithful monthly updater on a forum. That way you can be certain that the results are live and real, and not doctored. Ask questions and participate in forum discussions.

One last point...Please do NOT let emotions rush you into a decision. Take your time, learn, and educate yourself. An educated patient becomes a satisfied patient.

Bill

Many people ask about hair transplantation on our forums and the best way to go about it.

Before anyone can advise them, however, it's important that they consider the answers to the following standard questions:

1. Age: How old are you? Age can be a determining factor as to whether or not you are a good candidate for a hair transplant. Typically, the younger one is, the riskier it is to jump into surgery. Hairloss is unpredictable and donor supply is limited. Young people should proceed with caution when considering a hair transplant. I recommend that the younger folks read "Am I too young for a hair transplant" at http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/showthread.php?t=152790

2. Norwood Scale and Graft Calculation: What level are you on the Norwood scale of hair loss? The Norwood scale will give a person a good idea as to how many grafts they would need in the event that they are a good candidate for an HT. Take your calculated Norwood level and multiple it by 1000 (conservative) to 1500 (liberal) grafts and that will determine approximately how many grafts are needed to achieve "decent" coverage and density of your balding regions. You might want to consider using our animated graft calculator which can be found here: http://www.hairlosslearningcenter.org/hair-loss-content/mm/introa.html. Additional animations can be found here: http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/MM-center.asp

Please Note: Hair loss is unpredictable. Just because one might be a Norwood (NW) 3 today, doesn't mean that person won't end up a NW 6 in the future. See number 3 below for how to minimize the risk of future loss.

3. Medication: In order to keep any native hair one might have, getting on finasteride and/or minoxodil is an important step to consider for long term hair restoration. Hair transplantation is NOT a cure for baldness. Instead, .it is a surgical procedure to move hair from one area of one's scalp to another. Again, hair loss is unpredictable. There is no way to really determine with certainly how much hair one will lose. So to lower the risk of losing more existing hair, medication might help slow down or stop hair loss. One might even re-grow some of their hair.

3. What is your family pattern of hair loss on both your mother and father's side? Though hair loss IS unpredictable, you can at least use the overall picture as a guide of sorts in determining where you MIGHT indeed fall.

4. Pictures: If you ask these questions on a forum, it is a good idea to post pictures of your individual hair loss situation. Post higher resolution photos that shows hair loss in detail. This will give people a chance to evaluate your situation and give you live feedback. NOTE: Most people on discussion forums are NOT professionals and should not be taken as medical advice. But those who have gone through this and are knowledgeable about hair transplantation should be able to give some sound advice. Always double check the advice you were given with a doctor.

5. Expectations and Goals: It is extremely important to know what you expect and want out of hair transplant surgery. Discuss your goals and expectations with your physician in order to ensure that your expectations are realistic. Keep in mind that donor supply is limited. The amount of loss verses the amount of available donor hair will determine whether or not your goals can be met.

6. Cost: Hair Transplantation is expensive. Typical costs are between $4-$5 per graft for the first 2000 grafts and $2.50 per graft thereafter per session. Taking into consideration your norwood level, your expectations and goals, your available donor hair (based on laxity and density), the cost of such a surgery CAN end up being well over $10,000. Often times, patients with a LOT of loss, end up needing 2 sessions to achieve their goals. This will of course become a separate fee.

Once you've considered the above, consider consulting with one of our coalition surgeons http://www.hairlosslearningcenter.org/hair-loss-content...s/our_physicians.asp who have a proven track record of consistent and positive results.

Research, patience, and education is the key to a successful surgery. Research and find a doctor that has a proven track record and one you are personally impressed with. Do not go by one person's results alone...research a dozen or more real patients to see their results. I'd even take the time to follow a patient fresh out of surgery who is a faithful monthly updater on a forum. That way you can be certain that the results are live and real, and not doctored. Ask questions and participate in forum discussions.

One last point...Please do NOT let emotions rush you into a decision. Take your time, learn, and educate yourself. An educated patient becomes a satisfied patient.

Bill

Great information, Bill -

A couple of other things I might add to your list are cost and expectations.

HT's are very expensive. I would estimate a person can plan on spending at least $10,000 and all the way up to $25,000-$30,000 for HT surgeries depending on the amount of loss and what they want to achieve assuming the donor hair is available.

Additionally, what do you expect the HT will do for you? You'll NEVER have back the hair you lost to the same density and look.......it's just physically impossible. Even if you get 7,500-10,000 grafts, you may be able to achieve a full look, but someone who is Norwood 6 or more with poor donor hair characteristics will still likely have a thin appearance somewhere.

Again.........great info, Bill. Thanks for the time and effort you put in to your "info-posts" on hair looss subjects.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

hairbank,

Thanks for your great feedback bro. I think I will go back and add these into this post sometime this weekend icon_wink.gif. I always love feedback because there is no way that one person can cover all basis. That's why community is vital. You are a great asset to this community as well bro...and a good friend. Much love bro (now I sound like B Spot) icon_biggrin.gif

Bill

icon_biggrin.gif Hey, spead the love.....my friend.

No one can think of it all but you come pretty close ! icon_wink.gif

Thanks, Bro!

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

• Administrators

Great info. Bill, thanks for getting this topic going.

In addition to the above suggestions, I encourage those considering hair transplantation to estimate the number of grafts/hairs that they will need now and in the future to achieve their hair restoration goal.

We do have an animated "Graft Calculator" that will help you get a ball park idea of how many grafts you may need. To use this interactive animation and view other animations, vist our Multi Media Center.

As Hairbank wrote, having realistic expectations is very important. One of our animations does focus what can realistically be achieved. I encourage all potential patients to view this animation and all of them.

There is also a page on the Hair Transplant Network on the subject of cost. To visit it click here.

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Great post Bill,

Another significant point. Patience!

I remember reading that it would take a year before one could fairly evaluate their results, but I don't think I fully appreciated this concept until now.

...speaking as someone who is roughly 4 months, 12 days, and 6 and a half hours post op icon_wink.gif.

2967 Total Grafts w/ Dr. Cooley on 1/3/07 [1st HT]

Hair Count = 5,427

My Hair Loss Weblog

• Moderators

You may want to add something in the cost section about additional cost as the years go by if/when you continue to lose your hair. You may need $10000 now for 2000 grafts to fill in your thin or bald area, but as you lose hair as you age (A hair transplant does not stop your hairloss), you'll need more sessions to keep up. This is particulalry a problem for younger patients who are most likely losing hair at a faster rate and thus will need more work possibly in the not too distant future to keep it realistic looking. With the high costs involved, if you are losing hair fairly quickly it is entirely possible that you may not have the first session paid for before needing additional work done.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Pat,

Excellent idea using the Graft Calculator. I think I'll add that into my original post under section 2 (Norwood Scale and Graft Calculation).

Middleson,

Patience is indeed key...perhaps I will add that as a preliminary statement.

BeHappy,

Already a head of you...see my below quote or above number 6 icon_wink.gif

Often times, patients with a LOT of loss, end up needing 2 sessions to achieve their goals. This will of course become a separate fee.

Bill

• 1 year later...

Dear Doctor,

I had my hair transplant a few days back. I have good amount ofhairs on my head but all are very week, brown, growth rate is too much slow. I want that they should be healthy like my other hais by all respect. they should be as much long, Black after one month as other hairs of my head.

I will appreciate if you can suggest me some good medicine which can be useful for better growth of my hairs.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards,

Tajemel Toheed

Tajemel,

Though I'm not a doctor, I'll address your post.

Actually, I also received the same message from you by regular email to offer my input.

A hair transplant procedure takes up to a year to mature. And before you experience any growth, you'll go through a shedding process, and in 3 to 5 months, they'll start to grow again.

I know your second email to me indicated that you were looking for medication to stop the progression of natural hair loss.

Since hair transplant surgery does nothing to stop the natural progression of female or male pattern baldness, often times it is complemented with medication. Propecia (finasteride ??“ men only) and Rogaine (minoxidil) are the only two FDA approved medications and the only ones I have seen any compelling evidence of efficacy.

These two treatments combined are even stronger than either one as a standalone. Be sure to speak to your physician about these to learn about the benefits, limitations, and potential side effects. That way, you can make an educated decision as to which treatments are right for you.

Best wishes,

Bill

• 3 years later...

Hey guys,

In regards to the question of what to consider before hair transplant surgery, Bill and I (Jeroen) have had a great open dialog between our blogs. I agree with Bill that hair transplant surgery is the only proven method to fully restore hair regardless of your norwood level or hair loss causes (genetic, disease related, etc.). However, if you are in the early stages of balding, would like to try natural/medicinal treatments first, or would just like to determine the causes for your hair loss, I would like to invite you to my FREE information website:

HairLossBalding.Net

If I am able to provide assistance with your minor to moderate hair loss problems, it would be extremely satisfying for me to do so, and I would appreciate any comments sharing your personal experience.

However, if you determine hair transplant surgery is the only option for you (which is very probably for moderate to sever hair loss sufferers), I HIGHLY recommend speaking with Bill and taking his advice regarding your surgical hair loss treatment options. Bill is one of the most knowledgeable, unbiased, and respectful hair loss people I have had the pleasure of speaking with.

Some of his comments on my blog can be viewed here (under the name 'hair loss'):

HairLossBalding.Net - Comments

Jeroen,

It's been nice dialoguing with you on your blog and you are certainly welcome to contribute your wit and wisdom to our community. Thanks for joining and sharing your opinion.

I did however remove two of your posts since they included the same exact content in this message. You are certainly welcome to participate, but please do make sure you have something unique and informative to say in each post.

I've certainly enjoyed reading your blog and will continue to do so. Again, welcome to our community and I look forward to your continued participation.

Best wishes,

Bill