Proscar = bad sex drive?

mrsportsy

I was about ready to get Proscar but then read many testimonials about how guys could not get erections anymore and did not enjoy sex. I do not want to get this if this is true. I will just stick to Revita and Rogaine foam. Any thoughts?

mrsportsy,

Sexual side effects are possible with finasteride (the active ingredient in Proscar and Propecia). Being aware of the risk is certainly important. However, Propecia's website reports sexual side effects low risk. It also states that side effects will go away after stopping use of the medication if you do experience them.

Weigh all of this into your decision making process.

Good luck.

Bill

Hi mrsportsy

I agree with nobuzz and I also think these sides are overblown , i've been on propecia then I changed to proscar because it works out cheaper , been using since june 2006 with no problems with with erections , my sperm became became more watery and thats all i noticed .

My brother uses it with no probs , even my doctor who proscribes it for me has used it for over 8 years with no problems ,also I know a couple of friends who use it and haven't experienced any problems .

The sides can happen but i does say on the instructions with the meds that they are rare , from what I've researched i've found that guys who have had sides have returned to normal , within a week if they stop using finasteride due to the drugs short half-life .

Ultimatly everyone is different so i would perhaps give it a try and if you experience sides then stop using it .

richie

2100 grown grafts

Dr Feller

nov 2007

2100 crown grafts

Dr Feller

nov 2007

I`ve been on proscar for 3 years with no sides whatsoever,I also produced a healthy baby boy 2 years ago.

If i were you i would give it a go.

2 x strip ht`s with Norton,very poor results

1 x fue ht with DHI,very poor result

hi not going to go bald

I'm on here and a few other forums and from researching online I never heard or read about anyone who after suffering sides from propecia or proscar , then failed to return to normal after they quit using .

Every guy who I read about returned to normal after they stopped using .

I did read once about a guy who used avodart , I think thats the stuff ,and after months was still worried he hadn't resumed normal service , but I don't know much about that avodart stuff .

richie

2100 crown grafts

Dr Feller

nov 2007

It is a fact that lowering the levels of DHT in your body will elevate levels of estrogen as DHT does control estrogen, so basically anyone who is on finasteride, has higher levels of estrogen in their bodies than if they never took the drug. I've tried finasteride, and I got some nasty side effects, that did not go away for about 8 months after quitting, and only with the help of some powerful post cycle therapy supplements was I able to come back.

If you wanna risk ED, depression, anxiety, mood swings, and titties then go right ahead.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a hair transplant physician and propecia prescriber, I can say that the side effects are uncommon and reversible. That being said, I took medicine for 11 months and saw thickening of my hair in my thinning area. However, I had the side effect discussed here which may or may not be related to the medicine; or me turning 40. I could stop the medicine but not the aging process, so I did quit. My hair re-thinned and my side effect went away as well. I have no idea if it was a true side effect, or whether it was psychological related to me "knowing" that potential.

I still prescribe propecia and have LOTS of happy patients using it.

Each patient is an individual and medical or surgical options need to be thought out carefully and adjusted or changed as needed.

Dr. Lindsey RESTON VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians