Shedding

johnno

Sorry guys for the not so clear explanation; i was a little tired.

i have read that a hairs survival rate can be vastly reduced or even die when:

1) A certain type of anesthetic is used on the donor area; and/or

2) Hair follicles get damaged when not dissected under a microscope

Once these damaged hair follicles are transplanted into the recipient area, how long is it before they fall out; normal shedding, straight away or?

Will these damaged hairs fall out with the follicle attached or detached, and will they atually grow before falling out ?

The hairs in my recipient area with scabs and some without do not seem to be growing much and are nowhere as near as long as Bill's hairs at 1 month post HT. This gives me cause for concern and makes me think that some of my hair follicles in the recipient area may of got damaged in the HT process, hence the question on damaged hair follicles?

Sorry guys for the not so clear explanation; i was a little tired.

i have read that a hairs survival rate can be vastly reduced or even die when:

1) A certain type of anesthetic is used on the donor area; and/or

2) Hair follicles get damaged when not dissected under a microscope

Once these damaged hair follicles are transplanted into the recipient area, how long is it before they fall out; normal shedding, straight away or?

Will these damaged hairs fall out with the follicle attached or detached, and will they atually grow before falling out ?

The hairs in my recipient area with scabs and some without do not seem to be growing much and are nowhere as near as long as Bill's hairs at 1 month post HT. This gives me cause for concern and makes me think that some of my hair follicles in the recipient area may of got damaged in the HT process, hence the question on damaged hair follicles?

Johnno,

I have to say I honestly don't know what you are asking in your first question...so I'll skip it and address the second one as a stand alone question icon_wink.gif

Transplanted hairs typically fall out between 2-4 weeks post op and yes, they do grow a bit before they fall out. Take a look at my third surgery and you'll see my immediate post op pics verses my 2 week pics...you can see growth of the new hairs. I don't know what you mean about saying Bon Voyage forever...they start to grow back in approximately 3 months. What are you referring to about donor hairs getting damaged by a pain killer and all that?

Bill

I'm pretty sure I know what it is you are asking and NO you don't have to worry about certain pain killers damaging the follicle and then never growing in the recipient area.

You can continue with your habitual dependency on pharmaceuticals for recreational purposes. icon_smile.gifJust like NoBuzz...and you thought it referred to his hair.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Johnno,

You're going to have to forgive me...but who was your physician again?

I'm sure you have nothing to worry about. I can understand why you'd want to scrutinize every hair on your head, but I'm sure there is no problem. I have not heard what you heard, about the anesthetic, but even if that was true...no qualified physician would use it on the donor area since the whole purpose of the surgery is to transplant living hair follicles, not damaged or dead ones.

One of the reasons why it's important to choose a top doctor is so you don't have to worry about hair follicles being damaged in the donor strip removal or cutting process.

Bill

no worries Bill. The dreaded Norton Clinic dealt with my HT who have a poor record in survival of hair grafts amongst other things i dare to mention !! I probably had 3500 grafts cut out of the donor area, 2500 transplanted, 1000 dumped and 1000 damaged if their reputation is anything to go by, and that is if i am lucky!

That's right Johnno,

Well that may or may not change things. I don't want to alarm you or give you wrongful hope...but the truth is...there's nothing you can really do now but wait and try to be patient and see how the results come out. I know as you prepare for future surgery (waiting at least a year is advisable), it is in your best interest to choose a coalition doctor, narrow it down to ones you feel have yielded results that you like the best.

Bill

Thanks Bill!! Yes, i should not keep obsessing about it cause there really is nothing i can do but just wait!! I will wait a year until i get another HT and have it undertaken with a coalition Doctor for sure !! I must say i really do like the results of Dr Hasson, Dr Feller, Dr Wong and Dr Shapiro respectively

Hi Johnno,

I think i understand your first concern. Anesthia and its administration to the scalp is thought of as one of the main reasons patients suffer shockloss, but probably does not concern graft survival.

So, if you are under 30, not taking propecia, and have lots of minaturization, then the follicles that were shocked out will probably not come back, whether it be from making recipant sites, or anesthisa.

If however, you were on propecia, and have stabalized a bit, then those hairs will come back.

Hope that helps.