misunderstanding with doc - baby oil on recipient area

Hi,

I'm one day in from a hair transplant. My doctor said that using baby oil on the recipient area will help out the healing. He mentioned to use it the day after the transplant. Well I did and then I read in his instructions that I can start it on day 5! I'm seething here as I don't want to screw this up. Am I doing any damage by using baby oil only one day after the transplant? I don't plan on using it for at least a few days more.

Thanks

Hi,

I'm one day in from a hair transplant. My doctor said that using baby oil on the recipient area will help out the healing. He mentioned to use it the day after the transplant. Well I did and then I read in his instructions that I can start it on day 5! I'm seething here as I don't want to screw this up. Am I doing any damage by using baby oil only one day after the transplant? I don't plan on using it for at least a few days more.

Thanks

hair_return,

Welcome to our community.

NervousNelly is correct. I'm sure the grafts will be just fine.

The state of "nervousnelly" is how most of us felt after going through hair transplant surgery - especially waiting for the hair growth - which is one of the hardest parts.

I encourage you to create a hair loss weblog in order to share your pictures and experience with us.

Best wishes,

Bill

We are all Nrevous Nelly's the first couple months. The key is to relax and let nature take the it's course. Your mind can get the best of you if you let it!!

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Thanks guys, this has definitely helped putting me at ease. I definitely won't use baby oil for the next few days. It's going to be there anyway since i can't wash the top.

Regarding my transplant, i got 1610 grafts in the frontal area. I'm noorwood 3ish with no real loss at the crown. I can do a good job covering my hair loss and it wasn't really bad imo but I decided to do this now before it does gets too noticable. I've also now started finasteride with only mild side effects (nausea). I did get some photos taken before and after the procedure so when I get them I will try to put them up.

I think Bill should start a poll--- to see if everyone thinks Nervous Nelly should change his name!!!!

No-Longer-Nervous-Nelly is good, IMO.

icon_biggrin.gif

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Hair_return,

You can't wash the top? What kind of post op instructions do you have, if you don't mind sharing? You should check with your ht doctor about carefully cleaning the recipient and donor sites. Who is your doctor? I haven't come across applying baby oil as part of the post op care and it's interesting to me to hear the different techniques.

Jason,

I agree with you on nervousnelly's name. If he had one ounce of nervousness about him when he came to smg, he certainly didn't show it. With the vast knowledge he's gained on ht, he can now be "cool and confident nelly". Actually, yours sound better.

Hair_Return,

It is always best to check with your hair restoration physician for postoperative washing instructions, however, below I've pasted the ones that I used (soon to be in a hair loss Q&A blog). These can be used as a guide however, as I said, check with your hair restoration physician for their instructions:

----

Keep in mind that every hair transplant clinic has their own hair restoration postoperative instructions and they vary. Therefore it is always best to get detailed postoperative hair washing instructions directly from the hair transplant surgeon.

That being said, I thought I'd share my personal experience with hair washing after hair transplant surgery that worked well for me.

Day 0: (day of hair restoration surgery): Just relax. Do not wash your hair at all.

Day 1: If at all possible, visit your hair restoration clinic for a postoperative hair wash. If not, fill a cup with water mixed with shampoo and pour it gently over your head several times. Gently massage the shampoo into the donor area, cleaning the area around the scar.

Day 2 and 3: Fill a cup with water mixed with shampoo and pour it gently over your head several times. Gently massage the shampoo into the donor area, cleaning the area around the scar. Wash donor area normally working around the scar with care to work off any dried blood. Apply as much pressure as needed however, avoid using so much pressure that it causes pain.

Day 4: Assuming that your shower pressure is reasonable and not too harsh - let the water from the shower head hit your head normally. Massage shampoo in your hands until it lathers. Gently touch the grafts with the shampoo in the palm of your hands and gently touch with your finger tips. Avoid any massaging of the transplanted hair at this point. Continue washing donor area normally from this point on paying extra attention around the scar as to work off any dried blood and keep the area clean.

Day 5: Repeat the instructions from day 4 however, add very gentle back and forth motions with your finger tips through the transplanted hair. Avoid using your nails at all costs.

Day 6: Resume normal hair washing but be extra gentle with the hair grafts.

Day 7+: Begin showering twice a day normally however, use a little extra care of the follicuar unit grafts. Spend 10 extra minutes in the shower both in the morning and evening massaging with shampoo the hair grafts in a circular motion with your fingertips in order to start working off the scabs. Avoid using your fingernails at all costs. Do not apply a lot of pressure. The trick is to apply a constant circular motion to gradually work off the scabs rather than simply picking them off. Picking the scabs should be avoided at all costs. Whatever scabs don't come off in the shower will come off after subsequent showers and circular massaging. Additionally, when you come out of the shower and after looking in the mirror see some loose scabs, feel free to perform additional soft circular massaging over the scabs in front of the mirror to work off loose scabs. Scabs still tightly secured to the scalp should not be worked too much. These scabs will come off after subsequent showers in the coming days. Patience is important and don't force anything off.

I have found that by using the above method, scabs typically come off between 8-12 days.

----

Bill

Janna

"You can't wash the top? What kind of post op instructions do you have, if you don't mind sharing? You should check with your ht doctor about carefully cleaning the recipient and donor sites. Who is your doctor? I haven't come across applying baby oil as part of the post op care and it's interesting to me to hear the different techniques."

I was a little mistaken with the written instructions, perhaps too many meds. It specifically says to use baby oil on day 1: "Can spritz recipient area 4 times daily with baby oil/water". I did this once the day after and it still leaks into my eyes a bit so I don't have any intentions to do this until I wash the top.

As for washing the top: "...wash sides and back of hair daily." Nothing about the top so I'd say per the instructions, I should avoid the top until day 5 where it says "Can wash hair gently in bath twice per day".

The doctor is Cam Simmons in Toronto.

Bill:

That's interesting about washing it so close after the surgery. I didn't realize that I should use shampoo. All I've done is gently clean the sides and back with a hand towel and then applied polysporin to the donor scar. Would you say shampooing the back and sides a little bit would be better overall? Right now, I'm just worried about loosening the grafts or the sutures so I'm playing it safe.

hair_return,

You can start washing the sides and back of your head the day after your surgery. I personally feel that gently massaging the area with my finger tips in a circular motion works the best in order to remove some of the dried blood and such to keep the area clean.

Again, follow your physician's postoperative instructions, but I used the above method for my second and third surgery and it worked like a charm.

Bill

Hey Bill.

Great info on post-op showering !!!

Just what i was looking for.

I had my surgery on Wed.

So being on day four i was wondering how to shampoo.

On day two I experienced a little blood and oozing from one area on the donor site...freaked me out a bit.

But from what i understand this is not uncommon.

Day three (sat.)I showered but was real gentle around the donor site.

Only problem there is some dried blood around parts of the donor area that I was afraid to "rough up" to much.

I guess today (sun) I have to "man up" a bit and apply some pressure around that donor site to get that dried blood out of there.

Any thoughts ??

For you vets this is no big deal but us first timers it's a little heavy on the mind.

Thanks Bill,

More_hair

More_Hair:

Didn't get a chance to say..Congrats!

I had a post-op package which included a two-sided sponge, graftcyte and some ointment for the stitches (like Vaseline). The sponge was really soft on one side and had little soft bristles on the other.

For the first week, I had to pat the recipient and could make circular motions with the sponge then use a small cup of water to rinse"???no direct pressure from shower head. I think after the 7 or 10 day, I could use the other side (soft bristles) to be a bit more aggressive removing the scabs. The graftcyte spray worked great for healing and itching...I was going to order another bottle..but the cheapest I found was 150.00..scraped that.

I also had flaking, like a sunburn peeling around the 10-14..if I remember the timeline correctly. The worse part for me was the Vaseline on the stitches. I used to goop it up to much, and wearing a hat, my hair was always matted and greasy looking...oh well. You'll be over the hump soon enough.

Grow well my friend.

Glock08

My Hair Loss Weblog

Dr. True 9/22/06

4326 grafts

2129 1's

2168 2's

6545 Total Hairs

Our post op shampoo instructions on the day of surgery are to not do anything except Dr. Cooley's spray (no I can't tell you what's in it because he changes all the time).

At 24 hours you aim the water below the neck, take a cup and put shampoo in it put it under the faucet to create foam and pour over the grafted area. The donor area you can wash normally. Rinse the same way. This is the instructions for 7 days. We feel it takers a full 7 days for the grafts to be well seated.

It is to allow time for healing but also keep the area clean. The spray hydrates and helps with healing and itching.

Ailene

Ailene Russell, NCMA

Dr. Jerry Cooley's personal assistant and clinical supervisor for Carolina Dermatology Haircenter. My postings are my own opinion and may not reflect Dr. Cooley's opinion on any subject discussed.

Dr. Jerry Cooley is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Ailene has proven that every hair transplant clinic has their own postoperative instructions for hair washing which is why I always suggest following their advice first and foremost. My posted instructions (which is a variation of a few sets of postoperative instructions I have received) however, that ultimately worked for me can be used as a guide.

More_Hair,

Your donor area itself should not be "oozing". What you are more likely experiencing is dried blood scabs on the outside of the donor area that are breaking and oozing blood - this is normal. You can apply as much pressure on the donor area as feels comfortable when washing.

If you suspect the donor area is actually oozing blood and is not coming from a dried blood scab, I recommend contacting your hair restoration physician immediately.

Bill

Glock08,

Thanks for the "congrats".

All is cool...going through that first week nervous phase.

Hope all is well with ya.

Ailene,

Thanks for help.

Your directions basically mirror Dr.Epsteins.

He wants no direct shower for a full week.

Basically shower with a cup first seven days.

I'm just having a little trouble getting some dried blood off my skin along the donor area.

Maybe just being a wimp and should really rub to get that blood off....man it's like glue !!

Bill,

As usual thanks for all the help.

I had talked to Dr.Epstein about the fact that I felt there was some oozing of blood.

He also said it shouldn't be but advised me to place gauze over the area I thought was oozing and put the headband they supplied to me

over it ...overnight.

He suggested the next day shower (with a cup of course)and it should be fine.

I had my doubts...he was right on...no oozing at all.

When do you guys suggest rubbing the graph area to get off those scabs ??

Now I'm just pouring shampoo over the top off my head...maybe lightly patting it.

Thanks to you all,

More_hair

hair_return,

Yes, it is safe and I believe from your above post it is what your doctor instructed correct?

The concept of using oils on your head are to facilitate removal of the scabs/crusts. It's a good concept though many have found it not to be necessary. But I always feel it's best to follow your doctor's postoperative instructions.

Bill

Bill,

Thanks for you reply. The reason why I ask is that my post op instructions also say to use baby oil starting the day after. No one else on the board seems to agree with that. My instructions also said that I may continue with cardio starting today. I've haven't seen too many other posters saying that can start cardio staring on day 5. Believe me, I'm ignoring those instructions and starting sometime after I get the sutures removed and I'm someone who loves jogging.

It was interesting to see "baby oil" mentioned in the context of post-care after a hair transplant. I will share one use of baby oil during post-op care that we have found occasionally useful:

One of the various treatments for speeding up the shedding of scabs from the recipient sites after a hair transplant is the daily (or twice daily) application of a thin layer of a petrolatum vehicle, such as Bacitracin Ointment or Vaseline (a clean, new jar preferably). Since it is desirable to shampoo and clean the scalp each day, when one first gets in the shower and wants to remove the previous day's application of this greasy stuff, if one first applies a little baby oil to the scalp and rubs it gently in, it helps "liquify" the thicker petrolatum material and make it easier to clean off with a soap such as Dawn dish detergent in very small amounts. Then the patient can use their usual favorite shampoo and/or conditioner. All of this is obvously done very gently with the smooth balls of your fingers.

In recent years around half of our patients use the Graftcyte spray kit with the twice daily moist applications and the other half simply apply vitamin E cream each evening and shampoo it off the next am. The Vaseline method in my opinion works about as well as Graftcyte and is our "poor man's method" for removing the scabs a little faster.

Mike Beehner, M.D.