Raymond Konior, M.D. - 2246 Graft Hairline Restoration

What more can be said about Dr. Konior! This is yet another amazing result and further proves he is on the top of the food chain in the HT industry. I dont think I've seen anyone that can give such drastic results with such a minimal # of grafts. Awesome job doc!

M1A1 - You hit the nail on the head with your statement regarding the ???illusion of density???. There is no question that this patient did not achieve anywhere near his original hair density. There are many factors that contribute to the illusion of density, and fortunately for this patient those factors produced a favorable end result. The factors that I believe helped produce a nice result in his case include the following:

1) an above average hair caliber which contributes to a higher volumetric enhancement on a hair-by-hair basis;

2) excellent hair texture with the slight wave providing better overall coverage of the thinning zone;

3) a reasonable amount of adequate caliber residual hair in the transplant zone to supplement the density produced by the restoration procedure;

4) an above average hair count per follicular unit, i.e. more natural 3 and 4 hair grafts compared to the average patient;

5) a subtle lowering of skin to hair contrast provided by his early salt and pepper shadings;

6) proper angling of the grafts to facilitate the shingling effect that is needed to camouflage the scalp skin;

7) reasonable, age-appropriate density expectations from the patient.

Thanks to all for the kind words.

Doc,

One other thing, from your pictures, it seems as though your HT's produce great naturalness regardless of hair characteristics, very soft hairlines-not very abrupt looking. Nice blending with other existing hairs...Would the variables you listed above in your previous post also contribute to the naturalness of your procedures?

In my opinion, a good HT should be very natural and provide a nice illusion of density... If the HT is see thorugh, than it is not a success.... Do you think this is a realistic expectation from a patient? Now, I know there ARE MANY VARIABLES involved in this equation, but your opinion would be greatly appreciated?

Thank you,

M1A1

In my opinion, a good HT should be very natural and provide a nice illusion of density... If the HT is see thorugh, than it is not a success.... Do you think this is a realistic expectation from a patient? Now, I know there ARE MANY VARIABLES involved in this equation, but your opinion would be greatly appreciated?

Every patient is different with respect to their unique hair, skin and healing characteristics. The successful management of these variables will vary depending on the experience and technical approach of the surgeon. The end result is strongly influenced by how the surgeon controls these variables via his or her approach to trimming and placing grafts and establishing density gradients in the balding zone. I believe natural is more important than density since one can have dense hair that looks unnatural, in which case the result is a failure. It is much better to have natural thinning hair that no one recognizes as looking surgical. It is very important for the surgeon and the patient to communicate ahead of time so as to determine if the patient's density expectations are realistic and if they can be achieved. When it's all said and done, final density is limited by the relationship between the size of the balding area and the available donor supply. A thinning look may be the only possible option for someone with a class 5, 6 or 7. This may not necessarily be a bad thing if the end result looks natural and the patient is satisfied with the end density. Communication between the patient and the doctor is the key to assuring that the final result provides a look that the patient will be pleased with.