graphs vs hairs

I need help on two quotes I have received.

The first quote was to transplant 2500 hairs for $6800. When I asked about the # of graphs this would be I was told that each graph has a different numbers of hairs so they could not quote graphs only the number of hairs.

The second quote I received was for 800 to 1000 graphs for $4500 (plus a $500 office/lab fee).

Which quote gives more coverage or are they the same?

One last question...On a second HT is it better to use the existing scar or create another?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated....

I need help on two quotes I have received.

The first quote was to transplant 2500 hairs for $6800. When I asked about the # of graphs this would be I was told that each graph has a different numbers of hairs so they could not quote graphs only the number of hairs.

The second quote I received was for 800 to 1000 graphs for $4500 (plus a $500 office/lab fee).

Which quote gives more coverage or are they the same?

One last question...On a second HT is it better to use the existing scar or create another?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated....

Rottun,

You did not mention who the two doctors are - have you seen commentary on their work in this forum?

I am no expert but I do believe that grafts can be made up of 1-3 hairs each. Anymore then 3 and the natural look comes into question. There are a few estimators via the links on this site that will show you how many grafts you'll need to get the coverage you want. I personally have only seen quotes for the number of grafts not hairs.

At least one link that I have seen and used also showed the number of hairs associated with the number of grafts. (Sorry - this is the only site I remember http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com.

Personally, I just got ~3,200 grafts from Dr. Cooley for $10,000 - which I believe was an excellent deal based on his impressive skill set. The old adage of you get what you pay for really holds true here. It's a lifetime decision, choose wisely.

Regards,

Mike

3,200 on 1/4/06 Dr. Cooley

rottun,

I understand where you are coming from. I researched several Doctors and went with the one I felt was best. If one said 2500 hairs and the other said 800-1000 grafts (at 1-4 hairs per follicular unit) then the quotes are close in hairs, but not in price.

I was quoted 2,800 to 3,000 hairs (because I have fine blonde hair). The most expensive was $8k and the cheapest was $2,700. Trust me, price was secondary, but it was a factor.

I ended up with 1,205 fu (1 hair fu in the front hairline and 2-4 hair fu units behind those)for a total exceeding 45 fu per square cm.

Top surgeons all charge about $3 PER GRAFT (strip method). Anything well below or well above that figure is suspicious.

3045 FUs with Dr Victor Hasson on 8 June 2004

1836 FUs with Dr Jeffrey Epstein on 2 March 2006

Regimen: 1.25mg Proscar every other day

When I went for my second HT, I asked the same question but I'll be darned if I can remember the pros/cons of each. Anyway, I decided to have them get the hair from a new donor area instead of going over the existing scar. That way must have had more pros!

hairworthy,

Where are you getting your quotes of $3 per graft for top surgeons? H&W charge $4.50 (plus 7%tax)for the first 2000 grafts; even for 3000 they would be $4.10 including the tax. Shapiro charges $4.50 and others in his office charge $4.00. Epstein quoted me $4.23 ($7200 for 1700 grafts). Just curious.

buddyebsen,

Must be my lucky star then. The prices I was quoted were very different. And of course it all depends on the number of grafts you're getting: 1,000 will not be same price per graft as 4000. For my 3000+ procedure with Dr Hasson I paid $8,500.

With my first HT a year ago, I had no clue and assumed the price was fixed. I only received 1200 grafts, the average per graft was around $3.32 per which I think was okay. At that time, I guess I was using the mindset of "when I go to the Doctor for anything they give me a bill and I pay it, no matter what they charge". Non-negotiable.

Since having recently looked into a second HT, I've found different surgeons have different prices, and, some are flexible and some aren't. If you're willing to take a cancellation date on short notice, you can save money some places. Or, some will negotiate with you a little depending on how many grafts you get.....i.e. the more you get, the less it costs on a per graft basis.

One thing I haven't heard of is an HT Doc pricing or consulting per hair instead of the norm which is per graft. Like Hairworthy, I'd be leary of HT doc's quoting in this fashion.

Hairbank

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

The clinic I used twice (in Athens) only quotes in hairs.

I find this whole subject confusing and I wish there was a standard way of quoting patients (come on HRHRS!)

I had 9000 hairs in total and have estimated that's around 4000-4500 grafts although I can not be 100% sure.

The general estimate people seem to work on is that 1 graft is equal to between 1.3 and 2 hairs.

Originally posted by hairworthy:

buddyebsen,

Must be my lucky star then. The prices I was quoted were very different. And of course it all depends on the number of grafts you're getting: 1,000 will not be same price per graft as 4000. For my 3000+ procedure with Dr Hasson I paid $8,500.

Hairworthy,

You got a steal for $8500, especially considering your impressive results. How long ago did you have your procedure with Dr. Hasson?

GuitarPlayer

Originally posted by GuitarPlayer:
Originally posted by hairworthy:

buddyebsen,

Hairworthy,

You got a steal for $8500, especially considering your impressive results. How long ago did you have your procedure with Dr. Hasson?

GuitarPlayer

Hairworthy,

Don't bother answering my question as I just realized that in your signature it states that you had your procedure in June of 2004.

GuitarPlayer

Originally posted by GuitarPlayer:

Hairworthy,

Don't bother answering my question as I just realized that in your signature it states that you had your procedure in June of 2004.

Yep, almost 2 years and getting ready for my next one icon_wink.gif

Any clinic quoting individual "hair" prices is a sham. Please expose the clinics you have mentioned so others can reap the benefit of your research.

Listen Guys, 2500 hairs will work out to 1000 to 1400 grafts, which is dependant on each individual persons donor/ hair type. Unless you are not very bald and are getting a touch up, you are wasting your time with this. In addition, 6800 is a complete rip off! Put another thousand with that and call one of the more reputable HT docs, and tell them you will take a cancellation but you only have 8000. Tell them you want 2500 or more if possible. You will only be a few thousand dollars off full price, and the doc's chair will be filled.

You question about the scar: ethical surgeons will continue to use the same scar line, which will only continue to leave ONE unoticeable scar. Period. I can think of only a severe repair case that would require multiple scars. Again, any doctor willing to excise a "fresh" strip is not leading you down the right path.

I have one last thing to say, and I want you to ttake this the right way. Your questions about grafts/hairs and scar excision do not show any knowledge about the modern methods being used today, by even just "good" doctors. I sincerely recommend you do NOT get a HT at this point in time. Spend some time, pour over this sight and soak up some of the free knowledge that is here. After that, make a decision on a doctor, and go forward with a PLAN and KNOWLEDGE.

Feel free to PM me if necessary at any time.

PS. EVERYTHING is negotiable, and don't forget it.

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.