Are my fears normal?

I made my monetary committment to secure myself a spot for a May hair transplant. Up until the point before I had given money, I was relatively confident I was making the right choice. The moment I secured my position with my money a strange thing has happened. I suddenly find myself apprehensive and questioning myself as to what the heck I'm doing. Every worse case scenario keeps running through my mind. I'm having appoximately 1700 grafts place all in the front of my head. This will give me an expected - undetectable - new hair line. I know I'm going to one of the best in the business but I can't help but wonder will this truly be undetectable. Can anyone tell me if they have had these same fears? And if so have these fears materialized after your transplant, or did everything turn out perfect? I personally am uncomfortable with my hair loss. I'm also aware that most people can't even tell I have much hairloss. Should I just leave it alone?

I made my monetary committment to secure myself a spot for a May hair transplant. Up until the point before I had given money, I was relatively confident I was making the right choice. The moment I secured my position with my money a strange thing has happened. I suddenly find myself apprehensive and questioning myself as to what the heck I'm doing. Every worse case scenario keeps running through my mind. I'm having appoximately 1700 grafts place all in the front of my head. This will give me an expected - undetectable - new hair line. I know I'm going to one of the best in the business but I can't help but wonder will this truly be undetectable. Can anyone tell me if they have had these same fears? And if so have these fears materialized after your transplant, or did everything turn out perfect? I personally am uncomfortable with my hair loss. I'm also aware that most people can't even tell I have much hairloss. Should I just leave it alone?

hairdini,

Your concerns are rational and entirely normal; in fact, if you were'nt experiencing this kind of apprehension, you probably wouldn't be a human being. I would bet that every single person to ever undergo a hair transplant felt the same way that you are feeling right now at some point. The actual procedure is the easy part; it's all the waiting and second guessing that really tests you. I'm 5 months out from a relatively small procedure involving 600 grafts to the hairline, and it was still a big deal emotionally for me (the results are looking really good though). You might want to post some pics of your hair for the veterans on this board, and then maybe they could provide some insight on the number of grafts you may need and whatnot. The only thing I can personally recommend that might ease your anxiety somewhat is Propecia (finasteride): if you're on it, good; if not, look into it because it could save the hair you have now and possibly arrest any further loss (it is especially important to get on it before a ht). You've stated that you are uncomfortable with your hairloss, but feel that it is minimal- finasteride may be the solution. If you are already on it though and still seek improvement, an ht could be the answer, but a little soul searching is part of the process. Good luck!

-------

All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my My Hair Loss Website

Hi Hairdini,

Buyer's remorse? Totally normal indeed! This is a big step for anyone so the fact that you are second guessing yourself and running all the scenarios in your mind is very common and normal. Just be sure that you address all your fears accordingly so that in your mind you are satisfied that you made the right choices before you have the procedure.

I myself have had these same fears and apprehension. I've questioned whether it was the right thing to do, if I could make better use of my money and if it was just pure vanity. I thought that I should just be happy with who I was. In the end I did it and I have no regrets but I did take my time and made sure all my concerns were addressed.

My biggest concern was whether the transplant would be detectable or not. The proof is in the pudding so I actually met some past patients and I really could not tell they had a procedure, so that fear was laid to rest.

I am 4 months out and on my way to good growth which has been at about an average rate, maybe a little slower but I'm ok with that, patience is a virtue.

I did have some fears come to life with regards to shock loss and swelling, which is why I think it is important to set your expectations correctly. We all react differently to the procedure so you should prepare yourself for that.

Hope this helps.

HIGA

2400 Grafts with Dr. Epstein 11/8/06

Nizoral 3X/week

Rogaine foam 2x/day

I echo the comments above...........yes, many experience an "uncertain" feeling as to whether or not they are doing the right thing. This may even be more common with someone such as your self who really doesn't have that much loss.

As for the result being undetectable, I'm not sure of your surgeon but if you're going to either of the Coalition recommended Docs from this site which are located in Arizona (Keene, Alexander) you're going to be in great hands. Their quality of work and ultra-refined incisions should leave you with undetectable results.

As for whether or not to move forward, you really just need to do some soul searching and see how much the loss bothers you. If you're disappointed looking at it in the mirror and it's on your mind more than it should be, do something about it. If it's not THAT much of a concern to you and you can live with it.........let it go for awhile. The reason anyone gets a HT is personal..........purely relative to the way THAT PERSON wants to look.

So the bottom line is..........it's your call icon_wink.gif. If you get the HT, yes, I believe the results will be undetectable for you. If you have concern, give it a rest for awhile and see how you feel, you can always do it later.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Everyone is different in this respect; many second guess their decision. This is prefectly normal. Personally, I experienced about 15 minutes of remorse 2 weeks or so before my surgery, I'm not the worrying type I suppose icon_wink.gif

As long as you've picked a good doctor you should be fine. Many people who got a HT say it changed their life, I'm sure you will be one of them!

I also had 1700 grafts. 7 months later and it is totally undetectable. No one, not even hairstylysts know I had an HT. I do have a lot more hair, but since it came in slowly no one caught on. My recipient area was not shaved. You can see the photos I posted on the Photo albums section.

You said that a lot of people don't know you have lost hair and that you are getting 1700 grafts. I think this helps a lot. I notice that the detectable hts are those where someone started as a NW 5 or worse and it is just very hard to get enough density in such a big area.

hairdini,

Your fears are normal my friend...but that doesn't mean that you are now backed into a corner. You still can change your mind...though you may lose your deposit.

Not knowing anything about your case or which doctor you've chosen, I can't give you any comfort stating you are doing the right thing. I think, however, you should think about the following:

1. How uncomfortable are you with your hairloss?

2. Why do you want a hair transplant?

3. Which doctor did you choose and why?

4. If you go forward with a hair transplant...what are you afraid of and why?

5. What can appease your fears?

A. People's support?

B. More research?

C. Viewing more before/after pictures from the clinic you've chosen?

D. Meeting a hair transplant patient in person from the clinic you've chosen?

6. Is 1700 grafts enough to give you the result you need? How did you come to this conclusion? Where are you on the Norwood scale?

It might help you to post photos and your concerns here and let people address them and encourage you through it. I know this forum has been a great blessing for me when I was a newbie going through the process...without people here, I felt alone...since nobody really knew what I was going through...then there were my brothers here icon_smile.gif

Bill

Totally normal. I remember after handing the check for my deposit I was like..oh #$@%!...did I just do that?? I'm 6 months out and I must say I'm totally happy I did. Just stick it through and you will be happy you did in the long run (assuming you picked one of the coalition surgeons).

Another spin to this question is have any of you experience a "Zen" like feeling a day or two before your procedure? I know it sounds weird but this really happened to me. The night before lying in bed I felt this feeling of total joy/happiness. I really can't explain it but it was quite a feeling. Maybe this will happen to you! icon_smile.gif

HI

Yup, normal.. The key vote of confidence is your doctor.. If you have a qualified doc such as those on the coalition list, your worries should be at a minimum.. If not, yes I would be a bit in limbo as you do not have a proven, documented track recorded from real life people (i.e. on here).. It's normal to be nervous about the actual surgery, but I have had 3 and this last time, it was much easier as you know what to expect.. who is your doc??

I will tell you this.. Waking up in the morning and looking into the mirror is a great feeling now. I can honestly say, this was the opposite 2.5 years ago.. This feeling in my opinion is well worth it

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Wow! Thanks so much from everybody for the quick responses. I'm quite shocked at how many I've received in such a short time period.

After reading your responses I feel confident I'm making the right choice. I also figured out why my hair loss bothers me so much. I've been weight lifting/ body building for the last 20 years. In that 20 years I've never taken more than 1 1/2 weeks off from training. I've always had complete control over how my body looks. Between nutrition and exercise I've been able to keep myself 100 percent satisfied with my bodies overall look. Now that I've gotten older and hair loss has entered into the picture I realize this is one aspect of my appearance I can't fix on my own. All the hard work and sweat in the world won't grow a single hair on my head. That being said, I've come to accept that this is the only real solution to fixing this flaw. I could really care less how others perceive my looks. For me it's a personal choice that will make me feel better about myself.

I will keep my fingers crossed and hope my results turn out like so many of the pictures I've seen on this site. I will post some pictures when i have time. Thanks!

Hey Orion,

Now that I think about it, you are right, there was a "Zen-like" feeling shortly before the procedure that made me feel like I did the right thing. Maybe it was me thinking about the things to come, not sure exactly but I do remember the peaceful joy felt then. Funny, huh.

HIGA

2400 Grafts with Dr. Epstein 11/8/06

Nizoral 3X/week

Rogaine foam 2x/day

If you need a little confidence story. I just had my HT this morning.( 1000 grafts ) I am amazed on just how well it went. No Pain at all. I really feel excellent ( we will see if it changes tonight). After alot of thinking about it and trying to talk my self out of it. I know now that I made the right decision. Good luck

I agree with all those posted before me. I just had mine done 2 days ago and I already exprienced the feeling of joy/happiness the day before and after surgery. I still can't believe I have all these little hairs now sticking up on my head in areas that were completely bald for many years. I know now I am in for the long hard phase of waiting for the new ones to grow in but I feel a great relief that I went and did something about my hairloss. I have seen great results from the coalition surgeons in person. One is Billaros, he came over today to check out my progress. Its a relief to see it in your own eyes that ultra refined HTs do bring undetectable results. First step is making SURE you pick the Doc with good reputation and is practicing the updated techniques of HTs being done today. This forum is a great place to start.

HAIRFREE

DR. RAHAL - 4/4/07

3489 grafts - 7571 hairs

455 single hairs

1986 double hairs

1048 three hairs

I had mine done two days ago as well. I remember all sorts of fear about it. I even ran downstairs and checked the BBB (can't believe I hadn't done this earlier) to see if there were any complaints filed in the last three years. I told myself that if there was even one, I was going to cancel! I remember even feeling unsure on the way there (an hour and a half drive) and almost turning to my wife and telling her I am turning around. After the doc calmed my fears and I talked to all the techs asking them a lot of questions, I felt much better. At 11 a.m. sitting in the chair, the back of my head sutured back up, I remember feeling this overwhelming satisfaction (okay, I am sure some of this was the Vicodin) that I actually had the courage to do this for myself. I was overjoyed when they were putting my grafts in telling me how well my hair was working out and that I could have broken the record for number of grafts in one sitting (I had 3524 and the record was just over 3800). The coolest part, I only had to pay for the 3000. Talk about bonus!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sweet Deal AY

Who was your doc? Funny before I had my HT's I would look at the pics of others results and said to myself " I would love those results but there's no way I can get that, I'm balding".. Now 3 Ht's later, I am becoming the pictured guy despite my doubts.. It's a great thing!

Good luck and happy growing

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Had a few doubts before the procedure, then mostly just anxious anticipation of something i had wanted for years! Then afterwards, a day or so, is when I really started wondering... OMG, what did i DO??? But its three weeks later now and u know what? I'm pretty happy. Shockloss hasnt been a huge problem (maybe it still could be?) and the area covered looks like it will look good. I am only regretting not having a little more done actually. Oh, and I am not sure of my scar area in the donor site... I am afraid it might be a bit ugly... that worries me now far more than the actual transplanted area. Luckily i wear pretty long hair most of the time. If you have a top rated surgeon, you will be fine... the decision is a good one. Remember, if you back out, you will look in the mirror the very next morning and say, WTF? I could have FIXED this, and now it will only ever get worse and worse... and u will eventually be back, minus your original deposit. Just do it. icon_smile.gif

You will probably be happiest.

Hi all

I know it's hard to decide if your HTs were a good choice.. BUT if you went to a good doctor, trust me in 12 months you will be extremely happy you did.. In fact you will then get "hair greed" and probably start seeking to get another one.. Also, keep in mind it is perfectly normal to cycle through a host of emotions during your 12 month wait..Here is the program haha. Keep in mind this is my personal feeling based on my 3 HT's

Month 1 - Question ? What did I do?

Month 2 - Are these things normal to happen?

Month 3 - Impatience/doubt(no growth & scar concern)

Month 4 - Same... This didn't work

Month 5 - DOUBT!! I got ripped off

Month 6 - Hope! I see something (scar fading)

Month 7 - Elation! Growth and small results

Month 8 - Happiness & compliments ( people notice)

Month 9 - Same

Month 10 - God I should have done this sooner!!!

Damn it looks good

Month 11 - I want another!!

Month 12 - WOW, what a difference ( #2 is scheduled)

Be patient!

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

I just wanted to post my before pics as promised. My hair is kind of thick so I wet it down for the pictures to give a better idea of the recession I'm facing. Starting to get excired now!!!

Hey Jobi, Thats pretty cool, it sounds like the

12 days of xmas song icon_smile.gif But it does give one a good idea of what emotions you will go through.

I apreciate that because I know when I get er' done I will experience the Twelve Momths of Hairtransplants & know that it is normal....sort of.

Good post as usual!

Sorry I am posting so late in the eve but I am on some weird sleep schedule since the procedure.

Jobi,

I am 72 hours out and I want the revised version. I want the 12 Days of HT. Here's my short version thus far.

Day 1 - Wow, I can't believe I did this? I look really bizarre with this new hairline and crown. How am I going to keep this from everyone this Easter Sunday when the family gets together.

Day 2 - I can't sleep well and all I am thinking about is taking my antibiotics, putting cream, spraying the crap out my hair to keep it clean, etc. Am I really going to look normal enough to go back to work in a week to ten days without anyone knowing?

Day 3 - Holy crap, is that a graft that I see floating in the water? What if they all fall out? Okay 72 hours, the rest should be set in place right?

etc....

cause that's where I am at right now and I want to know what the next few days and weeks are going to be like. It's the experience of the board that provides my support system on this whole new world to me so, please, give me your expert guidance.

I should give some further background and say that when I decided I wanted an HT that I was going to initially TRY and not tell anyone except my wife and my two daughters (who I had a long sit down talk with about how this was just something Dad has wanted to do for a long time, explained everything to them in detail, and how I didn't want them to talk about this in front of others). Of course, I am not niave and think that people aren't going to notice and figure that out. But besides the fact that I kept my head covered, went upstairs to let it breathe about 10 minutes every hour the relatives were here, I think noone knows yet.

Oh, and besides my 7 year old whispering in my ear that wasn't it time for me to go up and spray my hair, the girls did great!

Man, am I paranoid or what? LOL

Hi AY

Your feelings are totally normal. Ok, I wont do 12 days but ALSO keep in mind to follow your docs schedule for Care.. The main points in the beginning..

* Take it easy.. Try not to bend and do a lot of activity.. Movies are great!

* be sure to wash the donor area well ( light pressure to prevent scabbing and put the antibiotic cream on

* take you antibiotics as well and don't lay down ( sleep at a 45 degrees or so the first couple days)

* watch your head and don't bang it. Also - be careful not to move the grafts rather only pat the grafts with the sponge during a shower and use baby shampoo.. They will not fall out if you don't mess with them

* After about 6-8 days you can begin relaxing a bit as the grafts will be set in place.. You can use coverup to hide the scabs if needed but you can put some aloe to help loosen the scabs and gently massage them.. DONT PICK

Follow the instructions and you will be ok

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

hairdini-

If you've been weight training for 20 years I'm assuming your between 35-45 years old? If so, and this is your loss, you're really in an enviable position with respect to loss and what can be achieved (if hair loss can be enviable icon_wink.gif). Since your loss is relatively minor, donor hair will not be a problem and you can probably do about what you want to do with your hairline. Most of us here must plan for the future and further loss..........not that it can't happen to you, but I'd say the odds at this point are largely in your favor (if I'm guessing right about your age).

Anyway........keep me posted on your progress.

I will also mention, since you have a pretty thick head of hair, you'll want to be sure and go to a surgeon who is able to offer you true dense-packing in the hairline of possibly up to 50-55 grafts per sq cm at a minimum......possibly even further density if can be safely accomplished. This will make a more natural transition to your native hair. Have you decided where your going?

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Originally posted by AndrewYoung:

Oh, and besides my 7 year old whispering in my ear that wasn't it time for me to go up and spray my hair, the girls did great!

Man, am I paranoid or what? LOL

AY-

LOL....that's hilarious!! icon_biggrin.gif My two daughters were that way with my first HT............brings back memories!

I completely understand where your coming from, my friend. I was very paranoid about others finding out. In my case, no one knows other than parents, wife/kids, brother and best friend.........period. I think more times than not people MAY notice something different about you and maybe they'll guess the hair but, as has been said before, we're much more interested in ourselves and how we look than others............most people don't really pay that much attention.

Everyone heals differently, buddy. I went back to work at 2 weeks with an ultra short haircut.........all scabbing was gone and the scar was covered so I just joke a little about the short hair and any interest blew over quickly. You may want to order some dermmatch to try and disguise the scar or other areas, it really can work wonders.

From days 3-10 continue to be cautious. The grafts are seated at day 10, but after days 3-5 they're on their way so you shouldn't be in danger of loosing them...........just watch your noggin' and be gentle with your massaging when cleaning them only using fingers, not fingernails.

Hang in there..

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog