need advice on surgeons

j12

hi,

i am suffering from hair loss and considering HT....i have researched over the internet and found the work of dr.armani , dr. cooley and dr. shapiro impressive......can someone guide me on this especially the first two or any other surgeon.....thanx

hi,

i am suffering from hair loss and considering HT....i have researched over the internet and found the work of dr.armani , dr. cooley and dr. shapiro impressive......can someone guide me on this especially the first two or any other surgeon.....thanx

j12,

See this thread on Dr. Armani and draw your own conclusions:

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/showthread.php?t=149874

In a nutshell:

The other two physicians you mentioned are very impressive. I've had the pleasure of viewing various patient's work over the few years i've been here and have also been impressed by them. Dr. Paul Shapiro's work (Ron's brother) also seems very promising, though I admit, I have seen less of his work. There are other outstanding surgeons to check out as well and you can view them below.

http://www.hairlosslearningcenter.org/hair-loss-content...s/our_physicians.asp

Bill

J12--- I responded to your other post and thanks for starting your own thread.

Each of the Docs you have named are top notch.

Both Dr. Cooley and Dr. Shapiro are Coalition Docs.

Armani is not, due to reasons I detailed in another post.

I know that Dr. Cooley does excellent work, and from personal experience Dr. Shapiro is considered one of the finest HT Docs in the world.

I think as long as you educate yourself, any of the Docs you mention are very good choices, but I would rather see you choose a Coalition Doc at this time.

Please feel free to post some photos so that other members can chime in and express their opinions in regards to your situation.

Cheers!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Bill, the b spot---------thanx for the advice....both of you guys speak highly of dr.armani's work and technical superiority but condemn his work ethics and marketing techniques.....i would come to the point straight....is armani clinic more money minded then concerned with patient's well being.....i am looking at other options also....could you clarify why do you have these reservations against dr.armani coz his results definitely are very tempting....i just dont want to be over enthusiastic and jump onto it....any help would be appreciable...i am also considering other surgeons...thanx

Hi j12, have you considered Dr.Feller? I had 4077 grafts in Nov 2006, its been only 2 months now and I have hundreds of hairs coming in up front. I am very happy with my transplant, I think he is one of the best doctors around. Check him out.

Yes,

Feller is good and I had mine with Dr. True .. you might as well see a couple and see which one you feel very comfortable with

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

J12,

Regarding Dr. Armani...your question in your last post isn't something that I could really answer for certain...but there are many signs that point to "yes". Make sure you read the whole thread that I posted above.

Dr. Armani is controversial and potentially unethical for the reasons discussed in that thread...however, I do agree that he's technically superior...HOWEVER, he's no more technically superior than Hasson & Wong, Shapiro, Cooley, Feller for example. Why not go to one of them when their results are just as "tempting" since they are not controversial regarding ethics? It's your choice...but these are my thoughts.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys,

i'm puttin up some of my pictures for advice from other members....i submitted my pictures to armani clinic and am sending them to hasson and wong as well....the guy at armani....shane....says that dr.armani suggested around 3300 grafts....i'l be letting u know the opinion of hasson and wong......any advice would be helpful...so pour in guys !!!

Top_.jpg.25ed9ebc17064c100b07be26b50667b1.jpg

Looks to me as if you'll need more than 3300 grafts if you want a full look. I received 2500 for a receding hairline that wasn't nearly as far along as your MPB. It's good that you're getting other opinions!

j12,

I would agree with my fellow comrades above. IMO, as long as you have your hairloss under control, I'd go for the largest (safe) session possible and see how many grafts you can get out of a single session. As discussed in another thread, I believe in a "safety first" approach to hair transplantation. In NO way, however, do I dispute that a mega mega session is the way to go as long as it is safe for the patient. Hasson and Wong have had high success rates in this area. As I've heard Dr. Hasson say on a video on their website "It's all about numbers". Of course, there is more to it than that, but ultimately, the higher the numbers, the denser the results. Admittedly, however, I feel it's important to keep some grafts in reserves just in case you lose more native hair. However, by the looks of it, your crown hair is still pretty thick. Are you taking anything for it? Finasteride? Minoxodil?

Bill

hi Bill ,

i have submitted my pictures to hasson and wong and still waiting for their review.....no i am not taking any drug....i have had extensive hair loss in front and the top.....however i have fairly thick growth on the sides and the back......however i m not sure whether my hair loss has stabilised or not....anyways i'll be puttin' in details of my review as and when i get it......thanxfor all the help everyone icon_smile.gif

Hi j12,

I had my HT with Dr. Cooley in July of '06. I just posted my 6 month photos in the 'photos' section. I researched different doctors for a long time and I am very pleased with my results so far. Dr. Cooley would be an excellent choice (so would Dr. Shapiro). GOOD LUCK!

BIG A

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys,

as i mentioned in my last post that i contacted hasson and wong....i have received dr.wong's recommendation and he has recommended 4000 grafts for my case.....i also came in contact with another doctor(this site doesn't allow to menton his name) and he does not recommend trasplant at this stage coz according to him my hairloss has not yet stabilised.......so i am a bit confused coz this is what i have come across in my resarch that one must wait for hairloss to stabilise......could u guys advise me on this and also at what stage of hair loss one should go in for a transplant ....cheers !!

Hi J12,

In terms of hair loss "stabilizing", it is a good idea to have some control over your hair loss. This generally means that you need to be on finasteride and/or Rogaine. Otherwise you will continue to bald and will require another transplant later to fill in the newly bald areas.

Having said that, even using the those drugs, you can still slowly bald. The drugs are not perfect. Many people, in fact most, do get hair transplants successfully with your stage of hair loss.

Regarding the 3300 grafts recommended, Dr. Armani's philosophy is to provide a dense hairline and gradually decrease density as he goes back towards the top. I think you would probably get a nice result from that, although it would likely show a little thinness up top. But then again, so would 4000 from Dr. Wong. Don't be under the illusion that 4000 grafts placed at around 50 per cm2 will be a "thick" look.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Hi

For the best potential result I would 100% stabilize the hairloss with Propecia unless you will never take it.. This way, your doc can stratgeically plan for your current ( and slight progressive) hair loss. If not, you never know when it can accelerate and ruin the HT you had exposing the work.. My hairloss started slow and then got very rapid .. After taking Propecia, it stabilized and has remained the same since..

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

hi Mrjb and gorpy,

i am not on any kind of medication and i am also a little skeptical about taking drugs such as propecia as i have read that they do have side effects...even from members on this forum.....so i am not really sure whether i want to use it.....also is propecia or other drugs available in topical form ?.....could you advise....!!

Rogaine is topical, propecia is not.

The sides are experienced by some, but you can always try it. If you experience sides, just quit and you would go back to normal.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery