what do you hair guru's think about those hand held FDA approved laser's in terms of helping hair growth with and without a transplant.

Any benefit to them.

I bought one last year and did notice my hair looked better but had no growth after 6 months so I sold it on ebay.

what do you hair guru's think about those hand held FDA approved laser's in terms of helping hair growth with and without a transplant.

Any benefit to them.

I bought one last year and did notice my hair looked better but had no growth after 6 months so I sold it on ebay.

finnari,

There is a hot debate going on about this. To date, I cannot recommend laser therapy as there is no real evidence that it does anything for your hair one way or another.

Hot debate over laser therapy here: http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/346...861/m/1891081303/p/1

Though laser therapy has been FDA approved, it seems to have been only approved for safety, not efficacy. See here: http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/146...701040113#8701040113.

Bill

I'm with Bill...

I've read the recent debate on the thread he's referring to, however, given the FDA's approach to approving something because it's not harmful doesn't mean it works, either. Before I spend that can of $$ on anything I want to see proof of success.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

• Moderators

Although it's only approved for safety that's certainly a good start. The price has been going down now that sales are picking up. You can get one for about $200 and you know it's safe to use. That's not a bad price to pay to see if it will work for you. There's really no risk. The meds for a year cost that much. It also doesn't stop you from using whatever meds you want to use along with it.

Lets forget about the clinics who charge money to go sit in a chair while a laser machine is put on your head. Lets ONLY look at the newer hand held "comb" type of lasers. If you go to a clinic twice a month or maybe once a week it's not going to have any affect. Let's face it, if you use propecia or minoxidil twice a month they aren't going to work either... yet pretty much everyone here agrees those meds DO work if used correctly.

So... lets look ONLY at the hand held lasers. If you search around the web, there's a good amount of evidence that it does work. I've heard several people say it at least had SOME benefits. Even the person who made the first post in this thread said it made his hair look better in 6 months. Isn't that about the same as we expect meds to do in 6 months? Don't you guys say stay with the meds at least a year especially if they seem to have stopped your loss and maybe making it look a little better? What if he stayed with it for the whole year? We already know it was working at least to some degree.

I'm not saying it's the best thing ever, but I do think there's enough evidence out there to show that it does work for some people.

Maybe I should buy one and try it and report back once a month. I actually think I might be a good candidate for it because I have a lot of long thin hairs growing all over my head that if I can just get them to be a little thicker to be similar to the other hairs on my head it would give me a much more full look even if I don't actually grow new hair.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

BeHappy-

I understand your point...............they MAY provide some value and from what you said the cost is coming down to it's a little less costly than it used to be.

Before I would support it, or recommend it to someone suffering from loss, I would want to see evidence by way of pics posted here, or some other reputable source I trust. I was the same with Finasteride before taking it. Researched tons, looked at some success pics of those that had taken it...etc., then decided to try it and it has provided me with some benefit.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Hairmax Laser Comb actually has FDA Clearance for Hair Growth. You can see the FDA studies on Hairmax site.

1st HT 1-5-05 - 1894 FUT's Dr. Glenn Charles

2nd HT 12-18-06 - 1542 FUT's Dr. Glenn Charles

Total: 3436 FUT's

Current Protocol: Propecia Daily, Laser Therapy EOD 20 mins.

• Moderators
Originally posted by Tha Joe:

Hairmax Laser Comb actually has FDA Clearance for Hair Growth.

That is false. It has FDA clearance to be marketed as a safe medical device because it bears similarities with previous devices that have been shown to be safe. The FDA did not determine or even attempt to determine whether or not it has any hair growth abilities.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

I kind of agreed with BeHappy, that the Laser Comb MAY bring benefits to SOME people. During my surgery with Dr. Cooley in February, few days after Laser Comb has been FDA approved, I asked Dr. Cooley about this device, and he didn't show too much excitement: "It just means it's safe to use." However, he also added that diffuse thinners are probably the ones most likely to benefit from it. In my case (a completely bald forehead but a full crown), Dr. Cooley told me don't waste my money.

I have little faih in lasers and their effectiviness. The evidence is not there.The top dogs in the industry are not too interested in the findings..

Think about it.. If itws a legit treatment , more people woudl be talking about it ..

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

BeHappy and Bill_The_Bald...

It sounds like you are saying that there might be some benefit...but then on the flip side, you are also admitting that FDA approval only means it's safe. So where are you getting this belief that there might be some benefit? Have you seen evidence that it works by itself without combining the treatment with minoxodil and finasteride? If so, we'd all love to see it.

I'm not trying to bust your stones...but when people state they believe something might have benefit...I want to know why. Every belief should be founded with SOME form of evidence, not just out of HOPE that it works, or because you've seen convincing commercials, etc.

I don't mean to sound hypocritical...some of my posts do state that I'm open to research regarding laser therapy...but I cannot state I believe it might work until somebody shows me that it has worked...even once icon_wink.gif.

I'm open to real proof that a product works...not a lot of hype that states a product works without proof...know what I mean?

Tha Joe,

Did you read this thread that I posted: http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/146...701040113#8701040113. ? If not, I encourage you to read it. FDA approval for medical devices works MUCH differently than for medications...AND the age of the product has something to do with it as well.

My friends...

I AM open to real proof of products working...however, there are many posts filled with discussion of laser therapy, but still no evidence or proof has been provided that it actually works.

If anyone has such information, I encourage and challenge you to post it. I am always willing to keep an open mind to RESEARCH...but until I see it...I agree with hairbank. I won't be recommending treatment to anyone when there is no proof that it works.

Bill

Hey guys, I purchased a laser comb a few months ago.(I can't remember how many) But I have been using it regularly, every other day for 10 minutes at a time. I can honestly say that I see improvement in my hair. I've had transplants in the front so that hair is healthy, but the hair behind it was getting very thin and wispy, increasingly revealing my scalp. I was even considering a possible 5th!! procedure to put some more hair in this area.

However, I have noticed THAT hair is covering my scalp better after using the laser comb. It is thicker and stronger.

I should include also that I believe at least a few dormant follicles have been jump-started too. Those who've had transplants know that when your transplants start sprouting hair, you can often feel the little prickly hair, sort of like a whisker. I believe I've had a few of these "jump-started" follicles in the area where I use the laser. It's not like there everywhere, but I have noticed a few.

I've used topik to fill in this area and I've noticed that I'm using less now. So I just wanted to offer my experience using the comb. I also use propecia. I think the two work great together.

Thanks Harve, Well there is some proof provided by a laser comb user that it is effective for him!

Now I am waiting to see if you gys believe him.... icon_smile.gif

Hi

Thanks Harve.. I do belive him but I am not sold on it .. They are many other posts stating the complete opposite so I am not taking this as "proof" .Too many top docs feel this is a farce which keeps it as suspect to me. If someone wants to pay $500 for it and try be my guest ..

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

I am sure that the Lazer comb has no benefits in terms of growing hair.

It could be a placebo (if thats posible in terms of hairgrowth) or simply a coincidence.

Harvey:

Did you start using any other meds at the same time?

There is no scientific evidence or even simple logic that supports the claim that Lazer grows har. You are basically just beaming your head with light. Just use a lamp isntead - its cheaper.

The claims made by manufacturers of the lazer comb and conmen like Advanced Hair Studios for example, are completely false and medically impossible.

Save yourself the $$.

Harve,

Do you have any before/after pictures from use of the laser comb only? Do you use finasteride and/or minoxodil at all as well? If so...when did you start using those products? Do you have any pictures of before/after your hair transplant? We'd love to see those as well.

Cheers Bro,

Bill

Harve,

I would tend to agree with el guapo. While I would love to believe that the laser comb provides re-growth, there is no proven medical proof that this would even be possible.

I'm sure we'd all love to see the facts if there were some available. That being said, if you believe that the comb has actually helped you, & you can justify spending the money you spent for the laser comb, then that's all that really matters.

Thanks for all your posts guys. I know that many have tried the laser comb and not seen any results. I feel like I have. I would not say my results using the comb have been dramatic, but my hair looks better to me. And believe me, I spend inordinate amounts of time staring at my head so any changes are not likely to catch me by surprise. I have gradually noticed it.

Also, just to clarify, when I say "thicker", I mean the withered hair shafts seem to be a little improved in terms of looking more like they did before DHT took its toll. (larger in diameter?) So in this context, "thicker" would not mean "new hair".

I could be wrong about the "jump-started" follicles. I hope I'm not. I'm looking for more of these possible "sprouts". Maybe I'll see them, maybe I won't.

To answer the question about the meds I'm taking, only propecia. I started about a year and a half ago. I'm pretty convinced that the propecia has slowed the hair loss down a great deal.

I can't explain why the laser comb could give me good results while not giving someone else any results. We're all different. Maybe there are factors of each person's physiology that make them receptive to laser treatment or not.

Bill, I do have some before/after pics of my last procedure buried somewhere in the picture section. The "after" pics were only three months post-op, so they don't show too much. The before pic shows me before I had the first procedure. You can definently see my hair loss was taking off. I don't have any before/after laser pics though. I'm too darn lazy.

Harve,

Thanks for your response.

How long have you been using the laser? When did you start using it in comparison to when you started using Propecia?

Of course I ask, because I am not sure if we REALLY can tell whether or not the added thickness in the hair shafts are from the laser or Propecia. Typicaly if Propecia is working for you, thinning hairs can thicken from Propecia alone.

So I guess my question is...how do you/we really know whether or not the benefit you are experiencing was from the laser or finasteride?

Also, throwing an HT into the mix could confuse the whole thing...could it be possible that the added thickness you are seeing could be because you've have an HT?

I don't intend to dismiss your experience...but because of the hot debate over the laser recently, I want readers to be aware that there doesn't really seem to be a way to determine of the laser really helped you or not, since you've combined it with other treatments.

However, if you have more specific data and timelines you can offer us, perhaps it might be easier to determine.

In your case, I'm glad things are working out for you...but with respect to finding out the truth of treatments for hairloss, perhaps you'll indulge us in giving us the data you have to see if there is any way determine whether or not laser did anything for you on its own.

Cheers,

Bill

Bill, I've been on propecia for probably a year and a half. I was considering quitting it because I wasn't sure it was doing anything, but some guys on this set convinced me to hang in there with it. My hair loss hasn't seemed to get worse but has remained stable. So I'm giving propecia the credit for that.

I only started using the laser maybe 4-5 months ago. In the last 2 months, it seems I've noticed the difference. That's why I feel the laser has done some good.

I'm not confusing the better looking hair with the transplanted hair though. All my transplants are up front, whereas the improved hair is toward the middle and back of my head. In fact, there was quite a contrast between the healthy transplants and the withered, native hairs, a clearly identifiable "zone" so to speak.