How much does head size matter for a HT?

Originally posted by hdude46:

Is it better to have a small head or a large head? When I say head size I'm guessing that your hat size would describe this.

i think this is a good question, ive though about this myself.. personally i have a small head which means i have less area to cover were i to go NW5-6, but with that i might have smaller donor also... so it may even out..

overall id say smaller the better, simply because all one can really hope for if they are bald is to create the ILLUSION of hair.

i think a smaller head allows for a more natural looking conservative hairline, on top of less total ground that needs to be covered...

a giant head with a conservative hairline makes it tougher to frame the face naturally... and im not sure the extra grafts capt. huge noggin has will compesate for the larger overall area

*** RESULTS WILL 100%, without a DOUBT, VARY***

When you see the same norwood level on different guys and one has a super large session and the other has a smaller session both with similar results...that is where head size can make a difference. There are other factors clearly involved, but head size is one of those factors.

BTW- I have a large dome and had a large session with great coverage results and if I had a smaller head I would have needed less grafts thus costing me less money.

• Thanks 1

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

Head size and shape absolutely play an important role when a hair transplant surgeon is evaluating a potential patient. A hairline should be created only after a thorough examination of the patients scalp including the shape, overall size of head, area of thinning or balding, and facial features. Not to mention trying to visualize and estimate from patients family history the area of future hair loss, and most importantly taking into account the patients expectations. It is true that people that have smaller heads may not need as many grafts to cover the thinning or balding areas, but may also have smaller donor areas which means less available grafts to transplant.

• 10 years later...

Thread revival...hoping to rekindle this discussion after 10yrs of advancement in the field.  Speaking for myself, it seems some pictures do not accurately convey the size and scale of ones head due to the selfie effect (lol).  Has anyone had this experience?  With the exception of a lower crown, it seems my donor area has good sq footage relative to the front and mid head areas I'd like to focus on while sacrificing the crown.  Could be wishful thinking too.