An interesting question....

This thought has occurred to me in passing a few times, but Bill's post on refinement of techniques yesterday reminded me of it. Given the extreme level of knowledge and investment of time exhibited by some of our veteran laymen posters here, has anyone thought about wanting to become a hair transplant surgeon themselves? Will we one day be pointing people to check out the work of Dr. Bill or Dr. Bspot, for example? Or Dr. Tillman? Just wondered if anyone's experience with hair loss has led them to consider a medical career in a way they hadn't before....

This thought has occurred to me in passing a few times, but Bill's post on refinement of techniques yesterday reminded me of it. Given the extreme level of knowledge and investment of time exhibited by some of our veteran laymen posters here, has anyone thought about wanting to become a hair transplant surgeon themselves? Will we one day be pointing people to check out the work of Dr. Bill or Dr. Bspot, for example? Or Dr. Tillman? Just wondered if anyone's experience with hair loss has led them to consider a medical career in a way they hadn't before....

L'Anonyme,

LOL...interesting question.

I will say that I still have no desire to become a doctor, though the process of the surgery fascinates me from a medical and patient perspective.

I learn as much as I can because I am interested to learn, and I have a passion to see each seeking patient receive the best level of care possible - which seemingly, only a handful (relative term) of surgeons in the world seem to be able to achieve.

After all, I was once a patient (and probably will be again)!

My plans are to stay up to date (as much as possible) on current techniques and technologies from a laymen's point of view. After all...this isn't my career, so there is only so much research I can do in my spare time.

I enjoy it here. Not only have I made friends here, but I enjoy intellectually debating through ongoing issues - which increases mine and other's level of knowledge. And I enjoy helping newbies. Nothing pleases me more than seeing a QUALIFIED HT candidate 1 year after their transplant satisfied with their results and knowing that I had something to do with helping them educate themselves.

Cheers for now,

Bill

A quote from a dermatolgist I read online said

" I would rather poke darning needles in my eyes than become a Hairtransplant surgeon"

It is very very tedious work & is suited only for the most patient surgeons.

During my surgery I had to ask, " Are you making each individual recipient incision free hand?"

Although I knew it was the only way, ( I have heard of some surgeons using a multiple bladed aparatus ) I couldn't believe the painstaking tedious process that the surgeon endures for hours!

Nope not for me!

Thank god for patient, talented surgeons willing to perform this type of surgery!

I've actually been training in secret for about a year now. Several of our patients have thought that Dr. Wong was doing the surgery but of course they can't really see who's doing what. They just see his shoes and I happen to own the same pairicon_smile.gif

Nah, I did consider it seriously at one point but the time and money it would take to get through medical school is not something I would look forward to. I do feel I know a lot though as I like to sit in on some surgeries from time to time and I still ask the docs questions about the various nuances of each procedure. It's fun working here for sureicon_smile.gif

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Let me assure you being a online guru is different from the rigors of medical school and residency. And that's not taking away from guys on here but its a whole different ball of wax trying to become a doctor.

Originally posted by folica:

A quote from a dermatolgist I read online said

" I would rather poke darning needles in my eyes than become a Hairtransplant surgeon"

It is very very tedious work & is suited only for the most patient surgeons.

During my surgery I had to ask, " Are you making each individual recipient incision free hand?"

Although I knew it was the only way, ( I have heard of some surgeons using a multiple bladed aparatus ) I couldn't believe the painstaking tedious process that the surgeon endures for hours!

Nope not for me!

Thank god for patient, talented surgeons willing to perform this type of surgery!

Its a lot easier work then lets say general surgery where your opening up people's guts and their lives on the line. Then all the calls in the middle of the night. Its a lot of long hours to become a surgeon. Doing hair transplants and having a successful practice is much easier then the life of your typical surgeon. Think about it most of the work is done by the technicians.

Funny thing is--- had I not stumbled over my own feet in my early 20's, I would have went to med school just to be a HT doc.

I am so intrigued by what is being done and what is possible that I try to gather as much information as humanly possible.

However, since I decided to go to law school at 31, I am going to have to stick with it!!!!!!!

It would be great if a young man or woman found the site and decided to enter the medical profession based on reading some of the material we come up with !!!!!

I vote Bill or Joe have to attend med school!!!

Later,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

"Where is Dr. Bill--The patient is ready for surgery?"

"He's online again!!"

NN

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

LOL guys,

That's right...

If I can remove my own staples...anyone can right? Hahaha.

No, I don't see myself lining up for medical school anytime soon. I've pursing a master's degree in counseling. Helping people (one way or another) is my passion - yet another reason I'm here. Since I know a lot about hair transplantation, have gone through it several times, my passion to help people doesn't go unused.

And yes...I caught Joe trying to make recipient incisions on my head. He kept insisting that using a drill bit would be best! I politely declined icon_biggrin.gifBill