Advice Needed. Based in Ireland

Hi Folks,

So glad i found this site before i proceeded any further with a HT.

I'm 28 my hair has been thinning since i'm 21. I've no bald spot or car parks but the hair is very thin from front hairline to crown compared to the sides and back. Mostly dead centre front to back. I shave my head, have been doing this since i'm 22.

I had a consultation with a clinic in dublin offering FUE HT in 08. I wont mention names but i was not seen by a doctor instead by a nurse. They did not listen to what i was looking for or wanted, instead just told me how many hairs they would move and how many surgerys would be required and the price. The nurse also used what i would call a panic sales pitch saying if i didnt act soon i wouldn't have enough donor hair available yet in the same breath they could move 4000 hairs. I know my hair loss better then anyone so i know how progressive it has been and quite slow. Needless to say this put me off and then the constant bombardment of trying to book the procedure and payment. The whole experience left a bad taste in my mouth and put me off any HT all together.

Recently though i was looking at Dr Conor Kiely (this site has put pay to that) and Dr Maurice Collins (Cost prohibitive).

Can anyone advise who to go and see in europe or the US. I think Dr. Jean Devroye in belgium sounds great. Realistic in terms of the result and a true profesional. Has anyone any experience with this doctor???

Please all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Hi John_Locke---I would suggest visiting with Dr. Bisanga who is located in Belguim as well. You should be set after consulting with both of these clinics.

Take Care,

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

hi man.. go on proscar straight away as it will help hold onto ur hair with the trauma of surgery... prociecia is 168 euro a month in ireland (stupid price) for one months supply.. ask ur doc to prescribe proscar,, its 5 time stronger that propiecia, break each tab into 5, box will last u four months and will cost 46 euro.. i got ht with dhi ireland almost 2 years ago, poor results but they have promised to fix it free of charge,, they worked on me last week.. recieved 1200 hairs free of charge,, its still not right so they invited me back next friday for another consultation free of charge.. dhi are listening to my concerns and in fairness to them they are acting on them... u didnt mention the company in ireland u were with.. if it was dhi send me private mail and ill send u the persons email who i deal with in there.

2200 DHI Ireland june 2007

Rogaine 5% may 2007

Lasercomb jan 2008

Nizoral aug 2007

John_Locke,

I'd also recommend looking into Dr. Bisanga.

Petesman,

i got ht with dhi ireland almost 2 years ago, poor results but they have promised to fix it free of charge,, they worked on me last week.. recieved 1200 hairs free of charge,, its still not right so they invited me back next friday for another consultation free of charge.

Why are you keep going back to these guys?

I wouldn't have returned the first time, fair enough fight for your money back but come on man, they messed your first surgery up enough that they offered you a "free" surgery, now they have messed something up with the "free" repair, they want you in yet again for your next "free" offer - you must be mad if you are considering going back to them.

Also, what's went wrong this time? I mean for them to know after a week, its not right.

I keep stating "free" as you mentioned it a few times in your post, I'm sure thats how DHI is putting it across but it's far from free mate.

Do your self a favour don't go back and stop taking in their crap!! If you don't, I'm willing to bet that we'll see you on here again - maybe year down the road needing major repair work done or at best not enough donor left for any future surgeries.

well the 1200 that were put in last monday look good so far.the reason im going back is the hair line in my opinion is not to my satisfaction and there are still a couple of sections which need more density.. i am going back for this&will be the last time.. if mistakes are made this time i will be lookinmg for a full refund.. my point is dhi have promised to fix everything to my satisfaction free of charge... im not a fan of strip surgery as my hair is light and i like a shaved look from time to time.

ill keep u posted

2200 DHI Ireland june 2007

Rogaine 5% may 2007

Lasercomb jan 2008

Nizoral aug 2007

Well, I wish you all the best mate and hope everything works out ok.

Its always a hard choice when a clinic offers to fix their mistakes free of charge, just remember, where as these follow up surgeries may not be costing you more money, they are costing you a great deal when it comes to grafts, down town and possible complications.

3 visits for what should have been 1 transplant isn't good.

Flight to new york wih aer lingus are cheap

the dollar is good now and also pick a nice hotel to chill in afterwards

we got flight and waldorf astoria for 700 euro and surgery for over 2000 grafts 8500 dollars approx 6000 euro

compared to Dr, Collins who waned 16500 for 1500 grafts (he was 11 euro each but since recession had dropped to 9 euro,still costing 13500)

So I would advise Dr Feller and hen chill in a really nice hotel after

Price drop once September comes for flights and hotel

good luck

Hi there. Like you Im from Ireland and looking for a hair transplant.

I did plenty of research and decided that there was no way I was staying in Ireland for it. It took me a while but I narrowed my choice down to two surgeons. Dr Feller in New York and Dr Rahal in Canada.

I chose Dr Rahal in the end and have my op in 4 weeks. You should check these two surgeons out. They are in most peoples top 5 on this site.

Bisanga has loads of unhappy patients i have spoken to a couple also but read other forums. Best in Europe is Mwamba and Devorye without a doubt. Best overseas Feller and Wolf with many FUE cases on various forums.

Bisanga has posted lots of his fue results on other forums and they are impressive compared to others I have seen.I havent seen much negativity and I have been on the forums a while now so just do your research.avoid DHI unless you wont to keep going back every year for touch ups!!!!! because they cant get it right.Its better to pay the money and get a quality HT done.

HT 2006/7

James H ,

Can you give a bit more info about the unhappy Bisanga patients.I checked another Spanish forum

and could only find 3 patients who were not satisfied.

Bisanga seems to have a very good reputation and the clinic posts a lot of impressive results.I can only find some results from Mwamba.

Have you met any Mwamba or Devorye patients in person ?

Hi jd, sure here are some links to unsatisfied patients from Bisanga. His clinic does post a lot of pictures, but his patients don't. There do not seem to be too many actual patients posting their own results just the clinic posting their own results in their own conditions. Are you a Bisanga patient?

All the ones who tend to support him online are not actually his patients i find, that's all i am saying. I also read the other day HW see many Bisanga patients.

I have met Dr Mwamba and he is very caring and very good. He is just not bigged up online like some clinics. I have met 3 of his patients and they looked very good one had been to Bisanga and i have read nothing but good reviews on Dr Devorye if that helps. Research is the most important thing, do lots of it.

http://bellicapelli.forumfree.net/?t=37219069.

http://foro.recuperarelpelo.com/viewtopic.php?p=74113

http://foro.recuperarelpelo.com/viewtopic.php?t=6099

http://foro.recuperarelpelo.com/viewtopic.php?t=11098

http://foro.ganarpelo.org/viewtopic.php?t=20426

http://foro.recuperarelpelo.com/viewtopic.php?t=11163

http://foro.recuperarelpelo.com/viewtopic.php?t=18843

Hi Paddy, Dr. Bisanga does excellent work, as does Dr. Mwamba.

Dr. Devroye is also rapidly becoming more noticed as well. His approach seems to be very similar to Dr. Shapiro's.

I know James has done his best to put you off Dr. Bisanga--and that is fine as one patient to another---it is always a good thing when another person looks to pass information to avert a possible problem.

However, what you should do is simply ask the clinic to provide you with some patients who live near you or arrange to have them have 2-3 patients meet you in person in Belgium--take a look at the work that way.

Then make a decision. Either of these 3 clinics do nice work--I think Dr B and Dr. M are a bit more aggressive than Dr. D (from what I have seen) but there is nothing wrong with the quality of either of them.

Hope this helps,

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Hey I'm also from Ireland and had a ht last month with Farjos in Manchester. I also considered many other surgeons including Ferudini, Shapiro. I liked Farjos work and am pleased so far with the result. BTW I think Ferudini and Shapiro are very good.

JamesH ,

Thanks for the links.

One or two of the results looked unatural to me.The others looked like poor growth which I've accepted as a risk when having a HT.

Im not a Bisanga patient - just looking into the different options in Europe.

Could you tell that any work had been done with the Dr.Mwamba patients you met ?

B Spot , have you seen Mwambas and Bisangas work in person.Are they on the same level as Dr.Shapiros'results ?

Hi JD-- no I have not seen the work in person. However, people I know and trust have expressed their confidence in the methods and results achieved by both.

Again, I think it best when patients have questions or comparisons regarding a clinic or two the best medicine is simply seeing patients in person. That will settle any doubts or confirm them.

Take Care,

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Hey everyone blown away by all the advice i got seriously thanks to everyone who posted a reply. Was on holidays mulling over my descision.

Jason thanks for the advice in regard to asking to meet patients while i'm in belgium. Would never have thought of that. What did you mean by Dr Bisanga and Dr Mwamba are more aggresive? Sorry if that comes across as a bit dense lol.

I'm planning on traveling to belgium in early july i want to be able to meet both or even all 3 including Dr Mwamba on the same day.

I will keep everyone posted.

It was DHI i had a consultation with but after reading this site and they're constant hard sell i'm totally put off.

Again thanks to everyone for all their advice much appreciated.

Good luck John.

I have been particularly impressed by Dr Devroye's innovative write-ups on this site. I think he's a real rising star.

I attended a consultation with a reputable European clinic. I asked the sales guy to tell me honestly, if money were absolutely no object, where he would go. He told me the US or Canada. All I'm saying is - don't rule out going over the pond.

17 Feb 09 - 3,200 FUs by strip surgery (Dr Feller)

My Hair Loss Website