The bond we share!

So here's an awesome and very funny story, at least to me.

So I'm at the gym today doing my regular Saturday working and a gentlemen from across the other side of the room comes walking up to me with recognition in his eyes. Since I didn't recognize him, I had no idea...though maybe it was an old friend that I no longer recognized. But since I'm pretty good with faces, that seemed a bit off. So, he introduces himself, and at first, I'm a bit distracted by my music so I take off my headphones. It turns out, this someone has reconized me from here, one of our very own new brothers from this forum. Who is it? He goes by HAIRFREE!!!! First let me tell you that Hairfree is a very nice and genuine guy and it was such a pleasure talking with him. How surprising and strange (but in a good way) to meet a brother from the forum at my very gym. What are the chances that we lived that close and ran into each other by accident? Ironically enough, I had just PMed him the night before since I found out he was from the Philly area offering any advice or encouragement I could give. So how funny was it that the very next day I end up meeting the man in person!

So needless to say, my workout was prolonged that day, but it was certainly worth it to meet and talk to a fellow brother who will be joining the "real hair club" for men in the coming months as he heads off to see Dr. Rahal. I told him a little bit about my story and I got to show him a real life hair transplant in the flesh. We say that an image is worth a thousand words. How many images is seeing something in person worth? I'll let hairfree speak for himself on that.

So why did I title this thread "the bond we share". It's simple. There was an instant connection between hairfree and I because we bonded like we always do here on an issue that is difficult for us - losing our hair. Being able to discuss our insecurities openly and honestly, and encourage one another is one of the greatest gifts people can share with one another. It is truly a bond of brotherhood and/or sisterhood (for you women) that we share with one another.

Just thought I'd share this cool story with you all.

Bill

So here's an awesome and very funny story, at least to me.

So I'm at the gym today doing my regular Saturday working and a gentlemen from across the other side of the room comes walking up to me with recognition in his eyes. Since I didn't recognize him, I had no idea...though maybe it was an old friend that I no longer recognized. But since I'm pretty good with faces, that seemed a bit off. So, he introduces himself, and at first, I'm a bit distracted by my music so I take off my headphones. It turns out, this someone has reconized me from here, one of our very own new brothers from this forum. Who is it? He goes by HAIRFREE!!!! First let me tell you that Hairfree is a very nice and genuine guy and it was such a pleasure talking with him. How surprising and strange (but in a good way) to meet a brother from the forum at my very gym. What are the chances that we lived that close and ran into each other by accident? Ironically enough, I had just PMed him the night before since I found out he was from the Philly area offering any advice or encouragement I could give. So how funny was it that the very next day I end up meeting the man in person!

So needless to say, my workout was prolonged that day, but it was certainly worth it to meet and talk to a fellow brother who will be joining the "real hair club" for men in the coming months as he heads off to see Dr. Rahal. I told him a little bit about my story and I got to show him a real life hair transplant in the flesh. We say that an image is worth a thousand words. How many images is seeing something in person worth? I'll let hairfree speak for himself on that.

So why did I title this thread "the bond we share". It's simple. There was an instant connection between hairfree and I because we bonded like we always do here on an issue that is difficult for us - losing our hair. Being able to discuss our insecurities openly and honestly, and encourage one another is one of the greatest gifts people can share with one another. It is truly a bond of brotherhood and/or sisterhood (for you women) that we share with one another.

Just thought I'd share this cool story with you all.

Bill

Bill,

That is a pretty cool story. I'm sure that there is more that recognize you from this site but are too shy/insecure to approach you and say anything.

I think that it was Dr. Paul Shapiro that posted a photo of a patient and I knew the guy. I had never known that he had a HT so that tells you of the quality work.

Somewhat unrelated, in the past 3 days I have seen 2 guys that I think had HT. One I would bet my house that he did and the other something just didn't seem right. Both cases the hairline wasn't pluggy but something alerted me to a HT. I wanted so badly to ask so that I would have an idea of what doc they saw and who to avoid. icon_smile.gif But ofcourse the situation would have to be right to bring up the topic.

There is definitely a bond between us guys/gals because losing your hair is such an emotional thing. You have to go thru it to really understand.

Thanks for the story. It will be interesting to see what Hairfree has to say. He'll probably tell us he saw this guy with a HTN t-shirt on. It was bearing the number 7550 FU with the name Bill on the back. Over the heart it had Celestial member. The pack of smokes was rolled up under the left sleeve to expose the 22 inch pipes. icon_smile.gif

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

I enjoyed reading about our awesome experience today from Bill.

Ok, here is what happened. I got up this morning to hit this gym and decided to take a peek at the Coalition forum beforehand to catch up with the new posts. I noticed that Bill posted some new updated photos of his 5 month mark. I checked them out. I knew he was from the Philly area because he had sent me a private message last night offering to help me with anything if I had some questions and he mentioned the area he lives in. I was a bit surprised to see that he lives only about 10 minutes away. Philadelphia is a big area!

Anyway, when I got the the gym I went in the locker room to hang up my jacket and I had some feeling maybe Bill worked out at the same gym because I had seen some of his postings about lifting and nutrition. As soon as I walked out of the locker room there was a confident well built guy standing in middle of the machines and I instantly knew it was him. It was a very rare experience and I felt very comfortable approaching him because I knew he was a very down to earth guy. I walked up to him and said "Hi, my name is Hairfree." He was puzzled and when he took off his ipod and after I mentioned Hairfree a couple times a big smile came across his face and was just as happy as I was to meet each other. He motioned his lovely wife to come over an meet me. We had a very nice discussion and he took a big chunk out of his workout time to answer some of the questions I had. The whole time I didn't even think of the fact that he even just had a HT (let alone one only 5 months ago), his hair looked unbelievably real and at this point it is not even at the halfway point to full development! There is no way that anyone would be able to tell that he had a HT. I was completely shocked when he showed me a photo from his drivers license. He went from a NW5 or 6 to having a completly full head of hair! His hairline has a very natural thickness and the overall HT is going to give Jotronic some serious competition for the #1 spot within a few months. Dr. Hasson did a great job. I can't imagine the life changing experience that he went through and getting the chance to meet him and hearing his story has given me more confidence to go forward with my April 4th date with Dr. Rahal. Meeting someone is person is definately worth a thousand images icon_smile.gif

I completely agree with Bill about the bond that we all share. We can be honest with each other because we all have experienced the same thing. I am thankful for this forum and feel that our unexpected meeting is meant to be. What are the chances that we would run into each other?? Meeting him and seeing his HT in person definately helps me go forward with getting the HT done!

Bill has offered to meet up again and we plan to have lunch or dinner soon. We plan to bring along our significant others as well.

I hope you all enjoyed this story!

HAIRFREE

DR. RAHAL - 4/4/07

3489 grafts - 7571 hairs

455 single hairs

1986 double hairs

1048 three hairs

Bill & Hairfree, I'm also from Philly. I agree, in a strange way this forum has bond us all as brothers. Believe me when I say, I would never have post photos of myself on the Internet and publicly reveal the one thing that bothers me the most about myself if it wasn't to help people whom I care about. Sure, I've never met any of you, but we all in our own way have put ourself s out there for the benefit of others. You guys have helped me through the one of toughest decisions I have ever made. It took a lot for me to allow some doctor that I never met before to open up the back of my head. I would have never gone through with it without the support I got from this forum. Everyone of us whom logs on and openly discusses what they have gone through or how helpless they have felt or talk about the mistakes they made (Bosley) just to help complete strangers......well if we are not brother than at least we are special. I'm not known to be an emotional or even sympathetic kinda of guy,... but I know a good thing when I see one.

Hairfree,

I hardly think he'll give me competition for #1 since I fell from that spot long ago by the likes of Bobman, Nicnitro, et al. icon_smile.gif He is indeed going to have a great result, agreed.

I read this and laughed because I had a similar experience. A poster on another forum started a thread "I saw Jotronic in the wild!". I saw it and had a big question mark in my mind. Turns out he saw me at Denny's just down the street from the office as I was having breakfast with some friends before they were heading home out of town. Quite the surreal experience to read about it but it made me realize how small this world it as it did for you two gentlemen.

Good story and better epiphany about how we are in the same boat to some degree or another. I've learned that slight hairline recession can be just as bad for one guy as being in need of repair as a NW6 is to another. Good post.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Gentlemen,

Definitely a cool story. Who would have known I'd run into someone from this forum in real life without planning to meet right? Very awesome indeed!

Hairfree,

Glad I was able to help and encourage you in the real world too and not just this forum. I'm looking forward to more growth and thickness as time goes on...but being that there are so many excellent transitions out there, I probably won't be number one. But if I can be in the top 10, that would be sufficient for me icon_wink.gif. Heck, all I really care about is having a good head of hair again, regardless of what place I come in! I look forward to our next get together.

NN,

That's right...I remember you posting your story about seeing a Shapiro patient in real life and had no idea it was an HT. That's pretty cool. And you hit a key point...a spotted hair transplant isn't a good hair transplant, since the goal is to look natural.

rjvw,

Glad those who have been willing to post photos of themselves have been a major encouragement for you. I know not all men are comfortable showing their faces, but a face can be blotted out with a photo editor!

Joe,

That's pretty cool. I was wondering who else may have accidentally bumped into one another. I guess when people have been around for awhile displaying photos on a public forum...it's bound to happen once in awhile right?

pushing40,

LOL...yeah. You always have friends here brother. Don't mean to get too mushy on y'all icon_wink.gif

Nobuzz,

LOL...yeah, that might look kinda funny...though I'll tell you, doing those exercises after awhile certainly can put a strain on the neck if you aren't careful. Perhaps a spot would help :P. But I think our wives or girlfriends could help with that one icon_wink.gif

Bill

After taking some time to read the forum I realize that some deep respect and friendships have developed on this forum. Everyone has helped each other out in some way. I have learned a lot in the past few weeks.

I am glad that I picked one of the surgeons from the coalition rather than going to some local random doctor. Everyone has helped me take in consideration that distance should not be a factor when picking a HT doctor.

I am feeling those usual feelings of being anxious and excited in the days leading up to the first HT. I am now almost two weeks away. I think I am more nervous about how I will look when I return to work 7 days after surgery but I really want to get it done and I plan to wear a hat and come up with some excuse. I'll deal with that problem when the time comes icon_smile.gif I really believe that things always work out for a reason. I could wait till a later date when I have more time off but I really would like to get this done sooner than later because my wedding date is Oct. 27th.

Maybe I can post some wedding pictures icon_smile.gif..only if the head of hair turns out good icon_smile.gif

HAIRFREE

DR. RAHAL - 4/4/07

3489 grafts - 7571 hairs

455 single hairs

1986 double hairs

1048 three hairs

Guys-

That is an AWESOME story. It's so great that it happened!! I've thought time and again of just starting to post "full monty" and commend by brother Bill for it. In this case, it allowed two cool posters to meet and and further enjoy the friendship and bond that we share here. Thanks so much for sharing.

The closest I've come to actually meeting someone from the forum face to face (met Jotronic but that was at H&W's) was a guy who emailed me with Q's after seeing my Blog, he only lived 45 minutes from him and I extended the invitation to meet for lunch or something but he didn't want to I guess.

I have this silly idea at some point that several of us will be able to get together..............I think it'd be a great thing. We'll see, I guess.

Thanks again for sharing, Bill and Hairfree........the story made my day! icon_smile.gif

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Hairfree,

I hope you'll post some wedding photos...I'm sure you'll be a hairy beast by that time, or at least on your way to becoming a hairy beast! :P Dr. Rahal does commendable work from everything I've seen.

I understand your anxiety bro...hang in there....take deep breaths, and continue to live your life as you have been. Btw...in case I haven't mentioned it yet, remember to do scalp exercises as listed at Hasson and Wong's website. I believe they help!

Let me know if/when you are interested in getting together for a lunch/dinner thing with the ladies! I think that would be awesome icon_smile.gif

Hairbank,

It IS a pretty cool story isn't it? I'm glad that our story made your day. I really still would like to try to organize something somewhere and have a bunch of guys from the forum (that want to) meet there and hang out for a day you know? The problem is trying to find a central location where there are actually things to do. Everyone is so spread out, I'm not sure where to suggest! But I'm game for it if anyone has any suggestions. Actually...I believe a few years ago (I heard form JoTronic) that Pat had something in FL....maybe we could do something like that again. With some notice, I think we could get a good number of people to join! I could go for a little vacation myself icon_smile.gif

Bill

Hey Bill,

Yes, it would be great to try to get together with those that want to. Pat did try to have a forum appreciation party back early in 2005, I think, but it wasn't very well attended as I think he and Hairworthy were the only ones that came so I'm not sure how much he would want to be involved.

I'd be all for it and would be glad to help plan to make it happen. I guess we'll see what interest others have and go from there!

Thanks, buddy!

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Thanks Bill. I will start doing more scalp exercises. I have done some for a least 5 mins each day but they make my neck hurt. Its hard to stay motivated when doing scalp exercises. How many minutes each day is reccomended??

I think that its neat that everyone is working on pulling off a get together event. Keep me in the loop on it. Bill..I will drop you an email about dinner or lunch with our ladies.

HAIRFREE

DR. RAHAL - 4/4/07

3489 grafts - 7571 hairs

455 single hairs

1986 double hairs

1048 three hairs

Hairbank,

I was unaware of the one in 2005...perhaps I went MIA for awhile on the forum and wasn't aware of it. Even I took a break for awhile...hey...I'm probably about due for another one icon_wink.gif. But not yet...little breaks every now and then of course...but I plan on being around for awhile icon_wink.gif. Maybe I'll PM Pat and see if he is thinking about anything like this again...otherwise, one of us can try to plan it...and hopefully people will come.

Hairfree,

Believe it or not...30 minutes a day is recommended. I broke it up in 2 15 minute sessions. I found it helps to lay down on your back with your head on a pillow and move your head up and down with your hands on your head rather than your hands up and down on your head...hey....or a combination of both. But I know my neck hurt a little bit from it too...just be careful icon_wink.gif

I'll be glad to keep you all in the loop if we do plan on doing a get together...I'd post it here on the forum in an obvious place. I'll be awaiting your email about our little get together! Twill be fun!

Bill

Bill...I will give the scalp exercises laying down on my back a try. Thanks for the advice!

I am glad that most of you enjoyed the story. I think as we see HT become more popular over time we will have more people on the forums coming into contact with each other out in the world. When things like this happen its always a positive sign. People will be open about it and more people will get sound advice and reccomendations from others. Most importantly the poor doctors will be held accountable for their actions. This will put more pressure on the HT industry to offer the best to every patient.

HAIRFREE

DR. RAHAL - 4/4/07

3489 grafts - 7571 hairs

455 single hairs

1986 double hairs

1048 three hairs

I think I am going to cry

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

<span class="ev_code_PINK">As soon as I walked out of the locker room there was a confident well built guy standing in middle of the machines and I instantly knew it was him. It was a very rare experience and I felt very comfortable approaching him because I knew he was a very down to earth guy. I walked up to him and said "Hi, my name is Hairfree." He was puzzled and when he took off his ipod and after I mentioned Hairfree a couple times a big smile came across his face and was just as happy as I was to meet each other.</span><STRIKE> He motioned his lovely wife to come over an meet me.</STRIKE>

Now, why did the friggen wife have to come in and muck up a perfect story? Can you imagine where this could have gone? Meaty biceps, manly chests, smooth, sexy hair, sweaty embraces in the sauna . . . The title of this topic could have been "<span class="ev_code_PINK">The bond we shared</span>." icon_eek.gif

Ok, ok, let's be serious. Great story, guys, and thanks for sharing it!

Hairgeeks . . .

Signed,

Bushy -- Hairgeek in Chief.

My blog.

HT1: 4063 grafts by Dr. Hasson, 12/9/03

HT2: 3537 grafts by Dr. Hasson, 5/15/06

Total grafts: 7,600

HAHAHA I should have left out the part...confident well built guy. It made it sound differently icon_rolleyes.gif

Anyway, Bill and I are going to meet up next week for dinner with our ladies. He will be able to answer any last min questions that I have before the surgery. Its nice to have that kind of support!

Glad you enjoyed the story!

HAIRFREE

DR. RAHAL - 4/4/07

3489 grafts - 7571 hairs

455 single hairs

1986 double hairs

1048 three hairs