Who is better? Dr. Keene vs Dr. Scott Alexander

I am considering using dr. alexanander or Dr. Keene. From what i can tell, it seems that they are both good doctors. I was wondering if anyone could give me a logical explanation why they believe one doctor is better than the other. Also, how do I know who is the best doctor out there. I would prefer to stay in AZ because that is where I live. HOwever, I would consider going somewhere else. Thanks in advance. my email is lowrate@gmail.com

I am considering using dr. alexanander or Dr. Keene. From what i can tell, it seems that they are both good doctors. I was wondering if anyone could give me a logical explanation why they believe one doctor is better than the other. Also, how do I know who is the best doctor out there. I would prefer to stay in AZ because that is where I live. HOwever, I would consider going somewhere else. Thanks in advance. my email is lowrate@gmail.com

Markky,

What you need to do is look at all of the patients online in any respective doctor's gallery. Remember the issue that I preach regarding photos then judge accordingly. You can read up on what I mean here...

Hair Transplant Photos

Look for consistency in the work, not just on patients with your loss, but all types to get a feel for how the doc can address any and all cases.

Then, learn about what is needed for your case and try to understand what it will take to get to your goals. Remember, better results are attained usually with higher numbers because the biggest problem with hair transplantation is the lack of density and/or coverage with one session so apply this to your case while applying your characteristics to what you see in relation to each doctor's strengths and weaknesses. If you have any questions, let me know, but of course others will chime in as well. Just don't rush into anything based on what your day to day schedule allows. It's worth waiting to get it done right.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Hi markky_03-

Here's my $.02.....

Both Dr. Keene and Dr. Alexander are excellent in terms of the quality of the work you'll receive. I wouldn't hesitate sitting in the chair for a HT with either of them.

Personally, I feel like I've seen more dense packing and possibly a little larger session sizes from Dr. Alexander. This is just IMO and I hope other posters here will provide their thoughts as well.

So, if I were you, I'd take a look at what your needs are. Have you lost ton's of hair in a certain area (frontal 1/3, crown..etc.?)? Or, are you a diffused thinner? If you need dense packing I would probably choose Dr. Alexander, if you need filling in different areas or are just not concerned with dense packing I'd feel free to go with Dr. Keene.

Your age, donor...everything needs to be taken into consdieration. Also, you need to be doing something for loss prevention if you aren't already (Finasteride/Minoxidil).

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Markky,

I can really only piggy back what JoTronic and Hairbank already said. Juding who is "best" in many ways is more subjective than objective. I have seem quality work done by both doctors. The best thing you can do is research and look at patient results on the forums (keeping in mind JoTronic's article about photos). Look for consistency...do NOT judge one patient's results and make your decision based on that.

Keep in mind that everyone's needs and goals are different. I think it's important to spend some time determining what you would like to accomplish through surgery as well.

Take your time and research...education is the key to your satisfaction and a successful procedure with a clinic you are most comfortable with.

I hope this gets you started.

Bill

As a patient of Dr. Alexander I am very satisfied with my 2 HT's with him. You can check out my pics on my weblog. He uses very small custom blades and does a great job of dense packing. He is very meticulous in his work and is always honest with you. I have heard good things about Keene as well but you should maybe sit down and chat with both of them and see what you think. I will be going back to Alexander in the future if I want to get my small crown area transplanted. But Dr. Alexander did the front third of my hair in my first HT and then the midscalp to the top of the crown on my second and it's a huge difference from my first two HT's with subpar docs. Hope this helps some

You need to ask both Docs a couple of questions:

What is the session size recommended?

What is the density goal(s), where and why?

What incision sizes will be used?

Staples or Sutures?

Future planning?

Size of staff, and experience?

Hairline design?

Also, it might be a good question to ask what intra-operative drugs are used to control bloodflow and pain.

I think once you have the answers to these questions, you can then make a choice.

I think both of the these Docs are equally very good, so ask some questions and go forward.

Take Care,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Visit both clincs. Ask them if they will supply detailed hair counts (not just graft counts) icon_wink.gif

B Spot - I'm not sure I agree with some of your questions.

- Sutures vs. Staples? Does this really matter? Has one been proven to be better than the other?

- Incision sizes? This really depends on patient characteristics. Will DFU's be used? Does this patient have small bundles? Will many 4 hair (real) FU's be implanted? Will "fat" vs. skinny FU's be used? Will grafts be split so that the clinic can brag about clean small incisions?

Hairline design is a valid question, but is tricky. It's more than just density. It's more about style, temple closure, placement, hard vs. soft etc.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

This is the same issue I have!!! After some discussion with you guys and speaking with Dr.Keene I decided to go with her. To be honest Dr. Alexanders pt.s photos did not look so hot. He is less experienced and I like the philosophy of the way Dr. Keene places her hairline. Non-linear type of hairline to look more natural. Somebody said earlier in the forums that Dr. Alexander does better hairline work which is all i am looking for. but judging by the pics of both docs (and its always their best work they publicize) I thought Keene did the better job.

Basically I am a novice at this compared to a lot of you guys but I decided to go with Dr. Keen although I live in Phoenix.

I live in Phoenix as well, I chose to go with Dr. Keene. I had consults with both Dr. Alexander and Dr. Keene. I would suggest having a consult with both and go from there. After viewing Dr. Keene's pictures and the consult with Dr. Keene, I chose to travel down to Tucson. Please believe me, I didn't want to travel to Tucson for my two day mega session, but after speaking with Dr. Keene and the excellent consult I went with her. I don't regret my choice what so ever. If I need any additonal work, she'll be my first choice. I do have a blog under her name on this site. Remember, this is just my opinion only. But, after you speak with Dr. Keene, you will be certainly impressed.

finnari, Congrats on making your chioce between these 2 fine Doc'S! It's nice to have a choice of 2 xlnt coaltion Doc's here in the Southwest.

I am going with Dr. Alexander.

Do you have a procedure scheduled yet?(Ok I just read on your other post 2 months)

Good luck it's going to be great!

icon_smile.gif

Gorpy, some people have a personal preference as to how they would like to be closed, for example, I believe staples produce the best closures, and for me, that is what I desire.

My opinion of course.

As far as incision sizes go, yes, I feel it is valid and educational to ask these types of questions, regardless if DFU's are present or not.

It is also a consideration when trying to choose between two very good docs.

I think asking very in-depth questions when trying to decide which doc is best for you can come down to how he or she answers in-depth questions and if they are put off by this or not.

It can help someone make the decision, that's all.

Take Care,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Good point B spot.

Even though, I think when you are talking about the Coalition docs, they all use custom cut very small incisions, especially in the hairline.

I just wouldn't want a new patient to get carried away with incision size, walking away with the feeling that a doctor must be better if they use smaller incisions.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

I saw alot of Dr Alexanders hairline photos.They were all dense and very natural.

He does the trico and uses sutures. Dr feller taught him alot. Though I didnt choose him I came away extremely impressed.

Ive also never heard any bad things about Dr Keene,and when I mentioned her name at the place I had my procedure ,they had great things to say about her.

You cant go wrong with either.

For ultimate hairline work I would just fly to Minnesota and get SHAPIROIZED

Markky,

Have you been able to talk to any patients on the phone from Keene or Alexander? Have you met any patients?

If you have not already, see if you can check in with some folks one-on-one. Often times it helps with the decision. Seeing work up close can be a great help.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Prospective patients often look for the techniques and technology when checking out different doctors. B Spot brought something up that we do not hear about as much ??“ size of staff and experience.

You can have the best doctor in the world but without a great staff, all bets are off. A properly-sized and highly experienced staff will contribute greatly to a patient's experience and final result.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.