Any experience with Dr. Steven Holt with MHR in MI?

Joy

Run don't walk from MHR. They are butchers like Bosley.com. Going to any doctor at MHR or Bosley will be the biggest mistake in your life.

Read Mahair's post about his experience with MHR.

One of Mahair's rants

And this MHR story

[This message was edited by MeHairBeGrowin on December 30, 2003 at 12:49 PM.]

• Like 1

Beware, some of the worst doctors in the field work for the big franchises like MHR, Bosley and NuHart.

Unfortunately, the average person usually has no way to tell whether a clinic can do good work or not, because every doctor SEEMS nice, professional etc.

I would avoid any of the big franchise operations, they do not use the latest techniques, and they also pass the high cost of advertising on to the patient.

Women are often not good candidates for hair transplants because they don't have a stable donor area. If you are losing hair from all over your head, you do not have a stable donor area.

In my opinion there is a very short list of doctors doing top quality hair transplants. An average quality transplant will look like a transplant, and isn't worth paying a penny for. Look around for which doctors could be considered "the best" or don't do it at all.

The doctors working at the big franchises are usually mediocre, in my opinion.

• Thanks 1

Joy,

It is possible that you'd get an okay HT from MHR. But why go there when there are top docs out there that will do a much better job on you AND stand behind their work?

If distance from home is an issue, Shapiro Medical is in Minneapolis, Minnesota. That's not too, too far from Michigan. If travel isn't an issue, many other top docs become available as well.

Best of luck, but I wouldn't recommend MHR over anybody -- ANYBODY.

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

-- If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.

-- The truth only matters if you know about it.

• Like 1

Tech:

Are you in the transplant industry? You've only been a member of this board since 12/16 and you seem to have something to say about Dr.s across the country. You've recommended a surgeon in NY, declared a surgeon in Michigan to be a good guy, and you know where Roy Jones is. You also knew that NHI is required to reveal where Jones is now.

Please share your bases for telling Joy that Holt is a good guy. If you are not in the business, were you a patient of Holt or of anyone? Does "good guy" mean good surgeon whose results are consistently excellent?

Saying a Dr. is a "good guy" is absolutely useless without explaining why you believe this to be so.

Joy: Do not operate on the assumption that such vague assertions are of any value. MHR has a deserved terrible reputation. Many patients have posted reports of terrible experiences with this group. I personally have had a consult with the founder, Matt Levitt, in Chicago at his Newbury Plaza office. I have had two surgeries with other surgeons since that consult. MHR does not use latest technologies (e.g. high power magnification). The surgeons with MHR are not known to be the best out there. Why go with an unknown when Pat (the owner of this site) goes to great lengths to check the qualifications of the surgeons he recommends and posters here share their real experiences with surgery?

My Surgery With Dr. Sharon Keene

I smell the foul stench of the industry in Tech. I think he's a mole inserted by MHR. We'll know for sure if he follows up on the questioning about him. Tech, if you are an industry Mole, you have no place here. Your not welcome in our community. Good job trying to smoke him out Paul148.

Mr. Hair

• Haha 1

Well, here's prolly the best answer you're going to get. I had HT at MHR, by Dr. Reese. Dr. Holt was in training at the time. And was there for the procedure. Yes Dr. Holt seemed to be a good guy. I had excellent results from the HT itself. The only complaints I have are,

My donor scar was tied to tight, causing bad scaring. Not overly bad, but was rough to the touch.

And, they are an assembly line operation. I personally like the one on one.

If Dr. Reese taught him well with the actual HT, then you should have excellent results.

FYI, I just had a second HT done with Dr. Ringler, here in Grand Rapids. The Jury is still out on this one. I've got coblestoning on the crown area, because of the packing done back there. But excellent one on one with the Dr. though the entire surgery.

Hope this helps answer some questions.

Joy- I too am considering a transplant with Dr. Holt. Did he provide you with names/numbers of past MHR clients?

Joy/Rooster75 - Did either of you consider Dr. Tessler in Southfield? There's a month wait for a consultation with him. I've hard positive things about him on this board.

• Like 1

Dr. Tessler was on my list with for my second HT, along with Dr. Ringler. I decided with Dr. Ringler because he was local. If a third need be done I will research again, and quit possibly go with Dr. Tessler. But that will depend on the resuls I have now, which are to early to judge.

No, Dr. Holt did not, because he wasn't practicing, yet. He was still in training.

you have to be high on crack to go to them after reading all of the horror stories on the internet from their clinics. especially to a doctor who was just trained??? If he Eff's up your head you will regret it today, tommorow and for the next 50 years.

Remember a Hair Transplant is with you For Life.

A Bad strip scar is almost impossible to repair.

Its not a car you can trade in later. And everyone you know and dont know will see it.

If you are in Michigan, i think Dr Shapiro is not toooo far away.

Do yourself a favor and go to a top clinic Only.

• Like 1

Yes, go somewhere that you know of that has good recommendations. It is with you forever.

My bad strip scar was not as bad as you are thinking. I just ment it was rough to the touch. Which you are correct, it should not have been. Yes, people have had bad experiances with MHR,... But what it really comes down to is the Doctor! After all, MHR can't screw it up, only the Doc. can.

I do recommend going to a non-comercial practice. But there is alot of DD involved before making the correct decision. Consultations I believe are the key, and not just having two to compare.

Well, I must have thought wrong. I thought this was an informative site.

I apoligize that my experiance with MHR was good, other than the rough scar I had. Also, When I had this procedure done at MHR this site was not available for research, nor was many other opportunity's available. So, I apoligize for that also.

I also apoligize that I didn't have a horrible experiance to share about MHR. I really wish I did, so I could validate your opinion further.

My suggestions to all, read, read, read!! I am not by no means promoting MHR! Personally, I chose not to goto them for my second procedure.

Not bexause of poor results, but because of poor practice.

It requires a lot of research to find who is right for you. Whether it be in your price range, or in your geographical area. My suggestion to all is try and get the best you can.. At all affordable costs. This is a permenant decision, that you must have thought long and hard about. GOOD LUCK

Other than being lied to loosing most of my original hair getting a low hairline having bumps , pits ,scarred scalp, nerve damage,scalp discoloration, bumps and getting screwed.My experience wasn't too bad. These guys suck. Especially the Boston office. The Dr. is a Quack with a capital "Q". His licence should be burned. He has caused me pain and misery . Talking people into a transplant who have decent hair to begin with is unethical. And telling them there are no complications is just a lie.I hope you get yours you S>O>B> for what you have done.

• Like 1

"The first cut is the deepest." Cat Stevens

Mahair, I'm sorry to hear that. That's definitley a good example of doing a lot of research. And why people need to extensively read before persuing. I'm just glad I was fortunate enough that I had good doctor with MHR.

Joy/active34, You are doing right in your research. Keep asking questions.

I do agree MHR is not one of the best oportunities out there. I personally recommend going with an accredited private practice.

• Like 1

I originally when in to find out about transplants. The Dr. talked me into it telling me it was a one time procedure with no complications and what a great candidate I was. He was actually the reason I decided to do it.I had trusted Drs. and was not aware this type was around.The consultant was less of a factor than he was . He is dirt . I am repelled by him and I guess so was his wife who left him and for good reason. Noone likes a sneak or a self centered liar.

"The first cut is the deepest." Cat Stevens

No one is saying that MHR CANNOT perform an "adequate" transplant, but chances are that you will not get the quality nor price of a top doc such as many of the docs featured on this site.

Why risk it? MHR is money ONLY. At least the others are QUALITY and reputation and then of course money too.

I watched MHR and Bosley "infomercials" the other day. They are humorous to me now that I've been in the chair with two of the best docs in the country, but prior to that and finding this site, I was considering the hair mills because I at least knew about them.

My opinion now is if you come to a site like this and STILL choose MHR or Bosley, then you are indeed getting what you bargained for and it is you that are holding the dice and choosing to roll them instead of taking the surer bet.

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

-- If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.

-- The truth only matters if you know about it.

I am so very thankful that I arrived at this site. It has been very informative, educational, and enlightening. I will not be going to MHR (Steven Holt). I have been to three doctors now for consultations and have decided to stay away from MHR because of this website and my researching, and also because of having been to three different doctors so far. MHR will not do a HT, no matter how small, for less than $4,000. In other words, they have a minimum charge of $4,000 or else they will not do a HT. That in itself says a lot. They are part of a franchise which has overhead and the HT patient is paying the cost for their participatioon in the franchise. But even more than that, the third doctor I went to was Tessler/Aronovitz who ordered blood tests right up front to make sure that my thinning was not being caused by an undetected medical condition. They did not push their HT services and were patient and informative. I was very impressed. But again, I'd like to thank everyone for your help and support. From the bottom of my grateful heart...Joy.

I think in the case of a female, it is is reasonable (or even smart) to do blood work first, to make sure that there are not other treatment options besides a hair transplant. Women can use drugs that are off-limits to men (because they have feminizing properties).

Your concern (MeHairBeGrowin) about blood tests is on target though. It's true that "blood tests" have been used by some clinics as a sales tactic. In some cases blood is taken but the patient is scheduled for surgery (or already in surgery) before the test results have even come back from the lab. Bloodwork helps convert a mere "interested consumer" into an instant patient, and discourages the patient from meeting with other clinics, because the patient has already taken a first step.

• 18 years later...
On 12/30/2003 at 10:21 AM, Joy said:

I am considering a hair transplant with Dr. Steven Holt with MHR (Medical Hair Restoration) in Michigan. Does anyone have any feedback or experience with him?

I hope you ended up not getting a procedure with Dr. Holt. 

FUE 2400 Grafts (2023) - Dr. Panine; Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic

FUT 1400 Grafts (2019) - Dr. Steven Paul Holt; Holt Hair Restoration/Bella