New to HT.. considering Armani

First just want to say great site. I have MPB which I slowed to a halt using propecia over the last 7 yrs, i'm 34 now. I have a thick head of hair, except for the front which has receded to leave a tall forehead.( I will post pictures later) I also have a large scar on the top of my head which I would like to fill in( only noticable when wet or combed back. I like the pictures on Armani's website and I know what people think of his ethical practices. Although, I sent pictures and he recommended 2500 for hairline and 300 for scar. Does this seem reasonable considering my age and the amount of grafts? Would this leave enough donar hair for possible grafts in the future?

I also saw Jae Pak at NHI, 30 miles away, said he could put 3-400 in scar using FUE, and recomended to leave front alone for now. (Although he would fill it in if I wanted, and also use strip method, but I would be trading a scar for a scar) One last thing, If I were to do a fue treatment on the scar only now, would this affect a strip procedure later on? IS it better to do strip before FUE? thanks in advance---rob

7931073423_245EE6549E3833B297F788161584BBFB.JPG.thumb 7141073423_D1B909FB1926461CB5E76CF4CC75310E.JPG.thumb

First just want to say great site. I have MPB which I slowed to a halt using propecia over the last 7 yrs, i'm 34 now. I have a thick head of hair, except for the front which has receded to leave a tall forehead.( I will post pictures later) I also have a large scar on the top of my head which I would like to fill in( only noticable when wet or combed back. I like the pictures on Armani's website and I know what people think of his ethical practices. Although, I sent pictures and he recommended 2500 for hairline and 300 for scar. Does this seem reasonable considering my age and the amount of grafts? Would this leave enough donar hair for possible grafts in the future?

I also saw Jae Pak at NHI, 30 miles away, said he could put 3-400 in scar using FUE, and recomended to leave front alone for now. (Although he would fill it in if I wanted, and also use strip method, but I would be trading a scar for a scar) One last thing, If I were to do a fue treatment on the scar only now, would this affect a strip procedure later on? IS it better to do strip before FUE? thanks in advance---rob

7931073423_245EE6549E3833B297F788161584BBFB.JPG.thumb 7141073423_D1B909FB1926461CB5E76CF4CC75310E.JPG.thumb

Rawdog,

Firstly, 2500 in my opinion seems like an overkill in your situation. I understand that Armani would have to match your density which would require more grafts but... I think that if you lowered the frontal area slightly and left a temple recession it would accomplish a hell of a lot and keep age appropriate. It also would be kind to the donor area should you lose future native hair. I believe you are that prime example of how his philosophy differs from some others. Yes 2500 would have you looking like a rock star (or atleast as you did in high school) but the future needs to be considered somewhat more. Armani is very talented but sometimes his forethought is questionable. Maybe I'm wrong???

It boils down to this-- Are you going to be comfortable with having a scar on the back of your head? Yes with todays techniques it can be quite minimal but always present. If you think that you will be fine with the donor scar then you might as well cover your other scar when doing strip procedure for HT. It will kill 2 birds with one stone and save you some money as strip is cheaper. Just my opinion.

NN

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Hi Rawdog,

IMHO, I don't think you need a transplant at all. From what I can tell you have a full head of hair and at 34 it looks totally appropriate and natural; Save your money. I think at your stage of loss you can afford to wait some time before really deciding.

BUT, if you decide on going forward with a procedure I would recommend sticking with the recommended coalition docs. This site has tons of client feedback.

HIGA

2400 Grafts with Dr. Epstein 11/8/06

Nizoral 3X/week

Rogaine foam 2x/day

rawdog,

Welcome to our community.

I agree with what's been said so far. IMO, ytou have a good head of hair. But when it comes down to it, it's YOUR opinion that matters, not mine.

But...

IMO, you don't need a hair transplant.

If you do decide to, however, I do believe 2500 grafts is overkill. At least, at your age, you should be much safer than if a 20 year old were requesting this procedure. Consider getting a second and third opinion from other physicians. I recommend consulting with at least 2 other clinics from here: http://www.hairlosslearningcenter.org/hair-loss-content...s/our_physicians.asp

Bill

As was mentioned by Bill, it's really your choice. You are really in a nice situation in that your loss is minimal for your age. Great to hear you went on Propecia early and that it seems to have worked for you.

Everyone has their opinion, IMO, you're ripe to have the hairline lowered if you wish. Dr. Armani is controversial. From the results I've seen, he does quality work. I won' t rehash the ethics questions as you seem to have researched him some.

If you want the density to match what you have you will need a lot of grafts..........maybe the 2500 you mentioned. I've seen 1500 in attempts to lower a hairline less than what you're talking about and it wasn't too many grafts. I would caution you not to be too aggressive with the hairline.........maybe you could go to within 1cm of your native hairline with just a tad of temple rescission? Totally your call.

When it comes down to it, I believe your loss is minimal enough at your age that you can pretty much do what you want. There are many other quality Doc's for hairline work to consider so don't limit yourself to Armani. Drs. Hasson, Wong, Shapiro, Feller, Rahal, Cooley, Alexander................all these and other Coalition members do great work so you may want to check around and do some consulting. In your situation, it should be fairly easy to do this by emailing pics and discussing by phone.

As for remaining donor hair, IME yes you would likely still have enough in the future. The only way you would not is if you head toward NW 6 or 7 which doesn't appear to be the case.

No, I don't think doing a FUE now would hurt a strip later...........you're not talking about that many grafts FUE. As far as which to do first, get advice from a trained surgeon or consultant. With the small amount you're talking about FUE I don't think it matters but I'm no expert.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments, i appreciate them greatly! I'm still waiting on a reply from H&W, and I will check with some other recommended docs on the site. I realize I am lucky I jumped on propecia early and don't want to sound too vein in my wanting to lower my hairline. Believe me, I saw my older brother go through HUGE hairloss in his twentys, and I know it was really hard on him at the time. But, I see some of those Armani hairlines and WOW they look great! Again, thanks for the help, browsing through the site has given me a lot to think about. I'll keep posting.--Rawdog

Rawdog,

Armani is definitely talented. The photos on his website are impressive. It all comes down to future hairloss. If you never lose any more hair, you can go hog wild with grafts in your hairline. The concern is if your good fortune changed and for whatever reason you started to lose a lot of hair. Ofcourse at your age it is less likely for that to happen and I think that this is how Hairbank feels.

Do keep in mind that if you decide to go with Armani, I believe that he has approx. 3-4 other docs that work under his name. They certainly can't all be as talented as he is so you would have to specify that you want him to perform the surgery and I would imagine it would cost a little more. Just an FYI. Take care.

NN

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Whether or not you 'need' a HT is really up to you. If you were 24 I might frown on it, but a medicated 34 yr old with your pattern is a good candidate. If you want to re-shape that frontline a bit, I think 1200 FUs is probably appropiate (more or less depending on the FHL location). 2500 is alot to me, and I do not understand the reasoning.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Just got the virtual feedback from Dr. Hasson and he recommended 2000-2500 grafts for hairline revision and filling scar. The rep I spoke to on the phone said to be prepared financially for 3000 grafts, just to be safe, but it would probably be less. So this would put Armani and Hasson's graft quotes about the same. I'm still waiting for feedback from Rahal. If I were debating between the best hairline result and hypothetically all grafts being the same who would be best out of Armani, Hasson, and Rahal? Also, who has the best feedback for donor closure scar? thanks again- -Rob

Rawdog,

You have to give us a little more to go on. Are you attempting to lower hairline to high school days?? The 2500 seems like a lot unless you are wanting to lower considerably and then ofcourse to match density they would have to use a lot of FU.

In terms of what doc to go with? Good question. Probably a toss up. If you have no regard for the docs possible ethical issues I personally think that Armani would be the best for your hairline concerns. Rahal is similar in style and would save you some money.

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

rawdog,

I'm wondering if the pictures we are seeing aren't showing the whole picture. Given that Dr. Hasson is also recommending that many grafts, perhaps there is more loss than we can see in these pictures? Or as NN asked...are you also attempting to lower the hairline?

Given your age, I believe this is fine...but I'm trying to understand the justification of the larger session given your pictures don't seem to indicate much loss.

Bill

Originally posted by rawdog:

Just got the virtual feedback from Dr. Hasson and he recommended 2000-2500 grafts for hairline revision and filling scar. The rep I spoke to on the phone said to be prepared financially for 3000 grafts, just to be safe, but it would probably be less. So this would put Armani and Hasson's graft quotes about the same. I'm still waiting for feedback from Rahal. If I were debating between the best hairline result and hypothetically all grafts being the same who would be best out of Armani, Hasson, and Rahal? Also, who has the best feedback for donor closure scar? thanks again- -Rob

I trust Dr. Hasson so if he said 2000-2500 grafts I'm sure he feels you could safely use them. Looking at your pics again, you do seem to have a higher forhead but I have no idea where your native hairline was.

If I were choosing between the Doc's you mention..............no question for me I'd choose Dr. Hasson. I believe Dr. Rahal does great work and I like what I see, but Dr. Hasson has so much experience in delievering excellent results........hard to beat in my book. As for Dr. Armani..........i do believe he is talented but I don't agree with his philosophy when it comes to hair restoration and I do question the ethics of restoring native hairlines for someone under 25 years of age.

Just IMO.............hope this helps.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

I agree with hairbank....

Obviously I trust Dr. Hasson's assessment, but I'd still liike to get a better understanding of your goals and perhaps some better pictures that might reveal the whole story. Lowering the hairline could indeed require a good number of grafts which perhaps is why the estimate is higher than suspected.

RBill

Hi

I understand his point. If I were him I would probably have my hairline lowered a bit a well. Keep in mind hairloss is relative to the person who is losing the hair.. 2500 seems a bit much though in my opinion

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

I added a few more photos I don't know if it shows anything different. I'm going to fill in the scar on top of my head. ( whether it's fue or strip) If I go strip which is cheaper I might as well do the hairline. I would love to bring it down a bit and thicken it up, also bring up the temple recession. I understand Dr. Hasson is probably the most respected and maybe experienced, but the BEST hairline is what I want.

I believe that it's not ethical for someone to lower the hairline of a young man just starting to lose, then set him up for failure, because of lack of donar hair. But, If this is the best doctor for me,( 34, slowed loss, receding hairline, but thick behind) is it wrong and selfish to go to him? Or is the worry that he might yank 3500-4000 grafts once I get in the chair? Also, Rahal seems to have a similiar hairline approach, is he as good as Armani? Some photos on his website look like Armani's but ethics not questioned. Are these patients older with slowed hairloss? Thanks again--Rob

rawdog, It's really not that bad IMO. It's like you don't really need it but if your going to do a strip anyway for the scar I can see rebuilding a lower hairline. You appear to have great quality donor hair & your results should be awesome if done by a good Doctor.

Armani is to flashy for my personal taste.

Edit: What I mean by to flashy is the pictures on the website all look like models. Thier hair has been professionally dyed & styled.

These are not typical hair restoration pictures in front of a doctors blue screen.

For hairlines you should also look at pics from:

Alexander

Feller

Keene

Shapiro

I think you should visit Armani's surgical office in person.

I think you should really view some of the people there who have had work done with him up close before you make a decision.

It seems anyone under 30 immediately books a session.

It seems anyone 30-40 is 50/50

It seems anyone over 40 might have a look, but usually no-go.

This are generalizations of course, but I hope I have answered your questions.

See the hairlines in person, if you like them, get one..... if not start the search over.

Armani hairlines and claimed densities are very polarizing topics, and split down the middle so expect some varied advice or opinions from members.

Take Care,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

dude i finally have seen armani's website, all things put aside if he really can do this, its amazing. are these pictures for real. 70-120 grafs per cm2 is he that good?

1.25mg finasteride

drugstore.com 100 pills $225

quarter them

5% rogaine foam

samsclub $50 4 month supply

vanity my downfall

Rawdog and others,

I really hesitated when I suggested Armani. As you can see in my prior post I stated that I thought it was a toss up between Armani, Rahal and Hasson. The reason I leaned towards Armani in this particular case is that from what I have seen he has the most experience with cases where the person doesn't really need a hair transplant and he just blasts the area with Fu to duplicate density of native hair.

This statement above is kind of made in jest, but in reality it is true. And you have to admit that he does damn good work even though we all look at it and question: 1. Why he did the procedure or 2. Why the density in such a young patient. But it is sound and quality work.

In Rawdogs case he is much older and unlikely to have to worry about scenarios that a 21 year old would have to contend with. I think though that some of the best advice is to see the hairlines 1st hand as B spot had indicated and go from there.

Obviously there is always going to be a biased to a certain degree from all of the members and they will favour their particular surrgeon but we do all have to keep in mind that there are several that are at the top of their game right now. Rahal is also showing some excellent work and I'm not sure if you know Rawdog, but he used to work with Armani.

Just my opinions. Hope it helps.

NN

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

I did know that NN. and that is one of the main reasons I contacted him. By the way, I appreciate your reasoning and open minded advise when given. It seems some people have written off one of the top doctors in the field, before even looking at the facts of an individual/patient ( in fact I STILL can't find better pics of hairlines built by other doctors on websites, than on Armani's) Point aside, I received a recommendation from Rahal today of 2500 grafts to rebuild front and fill in scar.He's also much cheaper than both armani and H@W. I'm still thinking though, and I wanna say thanks to all for comments and advise.

Much appreciated...---Raw

No one has really mentioned the temple points. RawDog's are totally demolished and would need to be completely rebuilt -- and that takes a lot of grafts.

7971012123_rawdog.jpg

RawDog, one of the main reasons I went to Dr. Hasson is that I consider his hairlines to be the best in the world (and Dr. Wong's are right up there with him). Don't be fooled by fake photos and fancy styles. Look closely at Armani's website -- you will not find too many close-up pictures of actual hairlines. The few that do reveal hairline will have the hair brushed to the side or forward, covering what you really want to see -- is the line itself soft and natural looking?

I can totally see you getting a HT. You've got great donor (lol!), and will probably retain most of it forever. You will look younger and more "balanced." And no more scar to worry about.

By the way, are you taking meds at all?

rawdog.jpg.0f3f1803b81756da48118a2609e558ca.jpg

My blog.

HT1: 4063 grafts by Dr. Hasson, 12/9/03

HT2: 3537 grafts by Dr. Hasson, 5/15/06

Total grafts: 7,600

Demolished huh Bushy...and that's my good side, Ouch. icon_frown.gif

JK... Yes, to answer your question, I've been taking finasteride for 7+yrs and have a script for Dutasteride waiting. ( My primary doc is pretty cool about it) I also have used Nizoral 2% for several yrs and alternate between Head and shoulders, and nioxin every other day. As far as Dr. Hasson, from what I've seen of reviews, when I think of traveling to do this thing, he is the one that I feel most comfortable with. But, I can't help but feel as though my hairline is going to end up in the same place and I guess I want more( or lower icon_wink.gif... what about Shapiro vs. Hasson.?

I think doing nothing yet is best . If in fact this is where you have stabilized and pehaps this may be the case. I would say that it would be a good idea to at least have a consult with Dr. Shapiro if you were further advanced perhaps Dr. Hasson. Your hair is not the comb to the side type so if you must "do it" - Dr. Shapiro.

But in all honesty you have a ton of hair and I think the risk outweighs the benefit.

Also I see a little diffuse thinning behind the anterior temple points so this won't be your last surgery by a long shot. In addition you are at the waining end of the hormone efficacy so this could go south fast.

A hair on the head is worth two on the brush.

I don't work for commision.. I bust e'm for free. Thank me later.

From my recent extensive searches on Hairlines it would be quite naive not to include Dr.Rahal (he may be the best of the crop with design/density given equal numbers). If you speak with Dr.Rahal he can show you pics of Hairlines not on his site (guys that don't want to be on the net) and I assure you they are =>Armani (who has better pics on his site).

Hairline Rank:

Rahal

Shapiro

Armani

Hasson

Cole

Alexander