Slow Growth - Please Advise

jbsf

• Administrators

JohnS and Hairbank,

Thank you for your support and understanding. It is always a tough decision removing a physician from this community. But membership in the Coalition requires meeting very high standards of patient care and consistent results to get accepted and to continue to be a member.

I certainly hope the doctor will continue to make good on his offer despite no longer being a member of this coalition.

JohnS, I know we will all be following jbsf's progress in the coming months to see that his situation is ultimately resolved to his satisfaction.

Best regards, Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

unfortunately, a free transplant is nto enough, given the limited donor and the recovery period. I am puzzled at this too. I wonder if it has to do with handling grafts during cutting /implanting?

I am 7 some months, and even if don't grow a hair more, I got my money's worth. But, I have anotherround coming as I feel may pointy small hairs. I assume than in a month or so they will grow and then become thicker.

Thank you Pat and others whom have all followed this thread and assisted me with my current concerns regarding my slow HT growth. Your responsiveness has been extremely helpful and comforting.

I also hope that Dr. DeYarman will keep his commitment to me, as he posted earlier. I will commit to posting monthly updates and pictures on this forum.

Fingers *crossed*,

JBSF

I am starting to type this post and don't really know what I want to say....

Pat--I commend you for taking action and making efforts to have this situation for jbsf resolved. I guess I am a little puzzled as to what transpired?

From what I understood:

1. B spot gave you a heads up of this situation.

2. You e-mailed some of his patients to check on their level of satisfaction.

3. Then you called Dr. DeYarman to see how this could be remedied.

4. After this, there is a post from Dr. Deyarman stating that he will make good on his commitment to do another surgery at no cost, but indicated that he didn't think that the growth was going to be an issue from his experience.

5. You post that you are revoking his Coalition membership and that he will not be recommended on this site.

Did something else transpire? Were you not satisfied with how Dr. Deyarman handled the situation? Were you looking to have a cash refund done so that jbsf could elect to see other surgeon? Did other patients have issues with growth? What if jbsf is just a late bloomer?

Trust me--I am not trying to stir up anything as I have already had my ass in the middle of some doozy debates. I am ONLY curious.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

• Administrators

NervousNelly,

I do appreciate that Dr. DeYarman stepped up to the plate and made an offer to provide jbsf with a free hair transplant if his hair hair growth has not been sufficient at 12 months.

However, based on jbsf's experience and other information that has come to my attention I do not have the level of confidence needed to continue recommending Dr. DeYarman.

Donor hair is too limited and results are for a life time as we all know. If I must make a mistake I will error on the side of caution.

I think we will all have to wait and see if Dr. DeYarman is right about jbsf ultimately getting sufficient growth. But this remains to be seen.

Best regards, Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Nervous, It does seem a little harsh for Pat to

severe Dr. Deyarmans membership, at first.

However, A free Ht does not fix an unsucessful

HT. Think of what JBSF has been through emotionally & physically not to mention the cost.

From what I have learned most hts will have an avearge of 97% growth. JbSF obviously got little to no growth, I see some sparse growth in the temples & that makes it look even worse.

How can Pat continue to recommend Dr. DeYarman with a clear conscious at this point considering this case & other cases of DeYarmans that have had poor results.

There is no room for error when we are talking about a life changing procedure & I believe Pat made the absolute correct decision!

As for JBSF maybe Pat could contact another coaltion DR. that could help JBSF out. I say this in this case because JbSF relied on a coaltion DR. recommended on this forum. I believe if a Dr. stepped up to help JBSF out it would strenghthen the credibility of the coaltion.

Pat & Folica,

I agree with what you are saying. As stated, I was just curious. Thanks for the reply.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

• Administrators

I have some encouraging news regarding the DeYarman Medical Group. I spoke with Rebecca today who as of October 2006 started with DeYarman Medical Group as the lead technician. She has over ten years experience as a hair transplant tech was brought in this past Fall to improve the quality control for the clinic.

Soon after she assumed her position extra quality control measures were put in place and the tech staff was improved, while some of the previous techs were let go. I believe that these changes were needed and that they will ultimately yeild improved results and growth rates that will be visible in patients who did surgery after these changes were made.

However, I think we all deserve to see proof of these improvements in actual patient results before Dr. DeYarman can regain his recommendation on this community.

I believe that the DeYarman Medical Group is committed to providing the best surgery possible. But as the old Russian saying goes - "Trust but Verify".

We shall see.

Pat

My Hair Loss Blog

Encouraging news, Pat. Thanks for posting. I hope the quality of the practice continues to improve and eventually earn their way back into the ranks of the Coalition Surgeons!

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

• 4 weeks later...
...In addition to Jbsf, during the past four plus years there is one other patient who posted as "Spock" who reported mediocre growth with Dr. DeYarman as well as dissatisfaction with his donor closure and healing. Spock later went to a non Coalition physician and did 1550 FUE & 580 BHT/FIT grafts and reported that he was disappointed with those results as well. Spock also commented more recently that "I think my physiology is the primary cause of my disappointment in the results." I do not necessarily agree with this belief.

I also visited the HLH forum and after using its search function I found very few posts referencing Dr. DeYarman and only posts from Spock that gave feedback about Dr. DeYarman...

Since I'm mentioned in this thread I thought I'd give my 2 cents worth. Sorry if I'm hijacking your thread.

It's true I am generally dissatisfied with my DeYarman work (Nov 2004) in both recipient and donor. The donor linear scar was mediocre, but there were 3 circular scars from the sutures that turned out quite poor. Up through 16 months post op I have pics of the recipient work that clearly shows this work separeate from all other work. The hair turned out kinky (I have straight hair), weird angled, and very thin. It simply looked like crap.

My next round of work at an Atlanta FUE doctor was a very different experience. It was obvious to me this operation had a more professional and experienced surgical and technician staff. The microscopes were all top notch, unlike DeYarmans. This doctors growth result is difficult to judge since what is seen is the result of two doctors. It appears to have started out kinky like DeYarmans work, but slowly improved over many months. As of Feb 2007 (27 months for DeYarman, 14 months for "FUE") the sum of both work was medicore in cosmetic appearance, but very slowly improving.

To complicate the analysis I had bad scalp irritation issues after both of these procedures. With DeYarmans work I used minox for about 6 months post op. During this time my scalp was highly inflammed from the propylene glycol in generic minox. I discussed and showed (I'm local to him) my redness and scalp irritation issues with DeYarman several times and he kept saying it would go away. He was wrong. He did not realize my problem was due to minox intolerance instead of normal post op skin redness. After my FUE work I had a bad reaction to Emu Oil. I only used the Emu oil for 2 weeks but because of the skin damage from the minox this redness lasted for over 10 months! This skin sensitivity issue has led me to question my physiology, as Pat mentioned.

In the end I have more questions than answers. Did the minox induced skin damage retard my DeYarman grafts? Did this also contribute to my subsequent Emu Oil intolerance and FUE doc's mediocure results? Did the poor microscopes at DeYarman's and/or technician error cause their poor results? Something else? Some combination? Just don't know for sure.

I've now just completed my 4th and final procedure. Dr. Hasson did a scar revision (excellent closure!) and I got 1484 more grafts. Donor laxity limited me to this number; I've now completly depleted my donor. Total grafts in 4 procedures: ~ 5000.

Not sure if this next statement is ok to post. Pat, you can remove it if necessary:

My detailed photo album on HLH (under the name of Mr Spock) shows all my work in all it's glorry.

• Administrators

Spock,

Thanks for providing additional clarification. You have certainly traveled a long and bumpy road. You have learned a great deal during your process and I know that you have always strived to be fair and objective in your posts. I hope that you contribute your expertise on our forum.

I also hope that you experience excellent growth from your most recent session with Dr. Hasson.

Please feel free to present your photos on this community by creating a photo album or by creating a weblog.

Best wishes, Pat

My Hair Loss Blog

• 5 weeks later...

jbsf,

Thanks for posting your update.

There MAY have been a little improvement between month 7 and 8, but not enough to write home about.

Though I always believe in giving surgery a full year before making a final evaluation, I certainly believe you have GOOD reason to be concerned.

Dr. Deyarman has already been removed from this site due to lack of consistency in results recently.

Since their clinic, however, seemed determined at one point to become members of our community once again, I HOPE that Dr. Deyarman will be willing to compensate you in some way.

To be honest, though...even if he offers you a FREE transplant, I wouldn't go for it at this point until his clinic proves positive consistent results once again.

I feel for you bro...we are here if you need us.

Bill

• Administrators

jbsf,

Thanks for giving us and update. You've been very patient and I really hope that you ultimately get the growth you deserve and hope for.

Pat

My Hair Loss Blog