Just back from N.Y with DR Feller

Hello All. After a lot of usefull advice from this forum, i went to Dr Feller for my procedure on 2nd June. I booked into the Andrew hotel, which i thought was conveniently located, and pleasant (Check out Lionel the concierge, how friendly and helpfull is he!!)Just over the road from Great neck station on the Long island rail road, so only 40 minutes and $12 return to Penn central in Manhattan, good for all the sights of the city.

We arrived on Sat night (31st May) after a interesting taxi ride in a yellow cab from J.F.K, driven by a Nigerian, who knew N.Y like the back of my hand!! always wanted to go via the Bronx!!, unpacked and was directed by Lionel to a fantastic Asian restaurant 2 blocks down called Elaines. Sunday 1st, got up early and had a good breakfast in a somewhat unusual location, room 201!! check it out when you get there, strange but it works ok. Then off to Manhatten, for all the sights, Empire State building etc, only downside no Budweiser on the Docs orders.

Back to the hotel bout 7pm and off to another "Lionel" Restaurant this one an Italian 1 block down, your US portions are huge, no wonder you guys struggle with your weight!!

Being a bit of a worrier, i walked the route to the Dr,s Surgery, which was only 15 mins walk, as no way was i gonna get my Nigerian friend again, thought Dr Feller might be a bit niffed if i phoned him from the Bronx!!

Monday am, up at 6am, and had a shower and hair wash, put on the button up shirt as recomended, had my 201 breakfast, and took my slow slightly nervous walk. Got there mega early, so had a look round the area before getting to the surgery at 0730. Dr feller arrived at 0745, and straight away got down to discussing what i wanted out of the day, and discussing very matter of factly what he suggested would be best for me. In the end we decided that as i part my hair on the left, DR Feller would plant more grafts on that side , and give the best coverage he could. He then marked up where my new hairline would be, and explained step by step how the day would go. First off was the shaving of top of head and doner strip, and then the anaesthetic in the strip, which i was not looking forward to, but in the end turned out to be a series of mild stings, so nothing to worry about after all. Dr Feller then cut the strip, and off this went to the technicians for dissection, and whilst they were cutting away merrily, Dr Feller cut the slits in my recipient area ready for planting. Again a slightly uncomfortable session, but not up to a visit to a UK dentist!!

Once all the slits were cut the technicians began to plant the grafts, and i got 2700 from my donor, which was slightly disapointing as we had hoped to get 3000+, but as it turned out my donor was slightly sparse over the ears.

So all done by 1430, and back at the Andrew for 1500.

Back at the hotel my head felt numb, so i had no discomfort, and felt up to another night out, and even a bit of tentative sight seeing on Tuesday, with my new cap in place. Tuesday night flight back to the UK was probably the worst bit, but no real discomfort from the donor or recipient, which still seemed numb. Am now sticking to the Dr's aftercare instructions, and will update the site on progress reports. Dr Feller took some pic's which he said he will post, as mine are not all that, but i will put them on later anyway.

Hope you didi'nt all fall asleep through that marathon, but i know that i found these post surgery reports helpfull in my research. All the best.

Clive.

Hello All. After a lot of usefull advice from this forum, i went to Dr Feller for my procedure on 2nd June. I booked into the Andrew hotel, which i thought was conveniently located, and pleasant (Check out Lionel the concierge, how friendly and helpfull is he!!)Just over the road from Great neck station on the Long island rail road, so only 40 minutes and $12 return to Penn central in Manhattan, good for all the sights of the city.

We arrived on Sat night (31st May) after a interesting taxi ride in a yellow cab from J.F.K, driven by a Nigerian, who knew N.Y like the back of my hand!! always wanted to go via the Bronx!!, unpacked and was directed by Lionel to a fantastic Asian restaurant 2 blocks down called Elaines. Sunday 1st, got up early and had a good breakfast in a somewhat unusual location, room 201!! check it out when you get there, strange but it works ok. Then off to Manhatten, for all the sights, Empire State building etc, only downside no Budweiser on the Docs orders.

Back to the hotel bout 7pm and off to another "Lionel" Restaurant this one an Italian 1 block down, your US portions are huge, no wonder you guys struggle with your weight!!

Being a bit of a worrier, i walked the route to the Dr,s Surgery, which was only 15 mins walk, as no way was i gonna get my Nigerian friend again, thought Dr Feller might be a bit niffed if i phoned him from the Bronx!!

Monday am, up at 6am, and had a shower and hair wash, put on the button up shirt as recomended, had my 201 breakfast, and took my slow slightly nervous walk. Got there mega early, so had a look round the area before getting to the surgery at 0730. Dr feller arrived at 0745, and straight away got down to discussing what i wanted out of the day, and discussing very matter of factly what he suggested would be best for me. In the end we decided that as i part my hair on the left, DR Feller would plant more grafts on that side , and give the best coverage he could. He then marked up where my new hairline would be, and explained step by step how the day would go. First off was the shaving of top of head and doner strip, and then the anaesthetic in the strip, which i was not looking forward to, but in the end turned out to be a series of mild stings, so nothing to worry about after all. Dr Feller then cut the strip, and off this went to the technicians for dissection, and whilst they were cutting away merrily, Dr Feller cut the slits in my recipient area ready for planting. Again a slightly uncomfortable session, but not up to a visit to a UK dentist!!

Once all the slits were cut the technicians began to plant the grafts, and i got 2700 from my donor, which was slightly disapointing as we had hoped to get 3000+, but as it turned out my donor was slightly sparse over the ears.

So all done by 1430, and back at the Andrew for 1500.

Back at the hotel my head felt numb, so i had no discomfort, and felt up to another night out, and even a bit of tentative sight seeing on Tuesday, with my new cap in place. Tuesday night flight back to the UK was probably the worst bit, but no real discomfort from the donor or recipient, which still seemed numb. Am now sticking to the Dr's aftercare instructions, and will update the site on progress reports. Dr Feller took some pic's which he said he will post, as mine are not all that, but i will put them on later anyway.

Hope you didi'nt all fall asleep through that marathon, but i know that i found these post surgery reports helpfull in my research. All the best.

Clive.

Now is the hardest part of the surgery .. Waiting !!

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Hi Clive

Very helpful report, hope procedure brings you desired growth.

I am flying out for my HT with Dr Feller on the 8th August, a few questions for you:

1. You mentioned flight back was the worst, was that from sitting for hours / pain / bad movie?

2. I plan to have my op. on Friday and return Sunday night (UK monday am), planning to drive myself back from airport - presume no problems with that plan?

3. Have you suffered from much swelling?

4. Did you do your scalp exercises before op?

5. Any other tips would be gratefully received!

All the best

Tubs

=======================

3,500 grafts - Dr Feller - 08/08/08

Tubs

Flight back was worse for me because i am so tall, and at the best of times am uncomfortable on long flights, add to that a 2 hour delay, and it was a bit much. Travelling back sooner rather than later is i.m.o a good thing, as the donor was still pretty numb, and it comes a lot more "Alive" after a couple of days. Driving i would suggest would depend on your distance from the airport, as my head felt very heavy and stiff at the neck, with a doozy of a headache, mainly brought on by having my head in one position for several hours.

The swelling started up yesterday, which was op + 3, and was restricted to my forehead and bridge of my nose. I have slept elevated as recomended by Dr Feller, so think that does help, as today op + 4 the swelling is gone.

Did my scalp exercises for the recomended week before going, but my scalp was fairly loose, so it only got better. If you try to move yours above your ears you will get an idea on how much work you need to do.

Tips, well, i read Spex entry, which was fairly comprehensive, but i must say that a good padded neck pillow was a real boon. Also i personally found that sitting about made me feel worse, than going for a walk, as for me it seemed to move the fluids out of my head, and loosen me up. Also get a hat a lot bigger than you would normally wear!! as the fluid swells your scalp up a couple of sizes.

Hope some of this helps, and i'm sure soon as you meet Dr Feller you will know you made the right decision. Good luck, and don't worry about the injections!!

Clive

Cheers for such quick reply. Its probably about a one hour drive from the airport (actually Monday morning, M25 - maybe 3 hours), taxi it is then!

I am hoping for 4000+, I see from your previous posts that you were hoping for 3000-3500. I assume from strip it is largely about density and laxity, if your donor density was lower than hoped, I presume your laxity didn't allow for a wider strip.

I am probably being too simplistic and estimating the number of graphs is fairly difficult / in-precise.

atb

Tubs

=======================

Tubs

Seem to be at a bit of a loose end for the next couple of weeks!! so the internet is getting a bashing!!

I think the doctor was hoping that my density would be standard across the entire strip, but as it turned out it was a lot worse in the last couple of inches round the ears, so it was a case of taking as much from the central area as possible, which he did by taking the strip in 3 pieces.

It all boils down to the count at the end of dissection, and Dr Feller will be realistic with you, which is something i wanted from my surgeon. As on previous consultations, one particular UK company told me 1000 grafts would cover my entire front 1/3rd and crown!! Yeah right!!

I think the taxi ride sounds like a better idea, as each person is different, and whilst i felt OK ish you might feel worse, so probably best to err on caution.

All the best

Clive.

Clive

Quite agree with the realistic bit, like everyone I would like as many graphs as possible - but the from everything I have read about Dr Feller he will do the "right" amount for the patient.

Do you plan anymore treatments longer term?

Tubs

=======================

Tubs

Will give it the required 18 months, to see how much i get, and judging by my dad and maternal grandfather, how much more i lose!! and will make a decision then. But as that well known hair piece wearer said " Never say never again!!"

Clive.

Clive

How are going to get your staples removed - I will be on holiday when my need to be removed.

I spotted this post by Spex which has put my mind at rest (my wife has now "volunteered").

Staple Removal

atb

Tubs

=======================

Tubs,

I agree that the third day feels a little worse than the first day. I drove four hours the next morning after my surgery, and felt great! Actually sort of giddy, as the drugs were still in me I guess.

You want to be careful obviously, but as far as feeling better, I'd probably try to get on a plane Saturday afternoon.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Tubs

I have booked an appointment with the practice nurse at my G.P's, for next week, op + 9, Dr Feller gave me the required tool for the process. Probably best to get a professional to do it, just in case you get a heavy bleed.

Clive.

Dewayne

Thanks for advice, I have already booked flight for Sunday night. I think I will arrange taxi back home when I arrive in UK on Monday.

Clive - Thanks for reply, I'll check out implications of heavy bleed, not too worried if it bleeds a bit, more serious if wound opens.

How are you feeling today?

atb

Tubs

=======================

Tubs

Today is op+ 6, and swelling is gone, donor is still a bit sore, but mainly after i have slept on it, and just feels a bit tight normally. I am still sleeping on a load of pillows, with a neck pillow on, as i am a bit paranoid about rubbing the recipient area while i'm asleep.

Yesterday was the first day i washed the grafts directly, and will carry on doing that twice a day.

Hav'nt noticed any shedding yet, but i'm sure they will all desert me at some point.

All the best

Clive.

It's cool to catch that UK vibe you fellas are sharing. I remember being really excited as well right after my first HT with Dr. Bernstein in late Feb. of this year.

I am happy this is the 4th month, and only now am I starting to appreciate any new growth. Good luck recovering and happy growin!

Best to ya, M8TS.

Clive,

Congratulations on your recent hair transplant with Dr. Feller. I'm sure you'll turn out to be yet another great success story.

When you get a chance, I encourage you to post photos and create a hair loss weblog to share your story and progress with the rest of the world.

Heal and grow well.

Best wishes,

Bill

Hey clive !

Weldone buddy and welcome to the brotherhood , good to see your research paid off and you went with one of the best , ace !

I had no idear you were going in the chair so soon ,easy to go abroad wasn't it and I bet you even saved money ?

Really chuffed you got sorted .

keep us updated with some pics as soon as you can , now for the hard part , the shitty wait hahahaha take it easy and find something cool to do for the next 6 months atleast .

good luck bro

richie

2100 crown grafts

Dr Feller

nov 2007