What did you tell people?

Well, I am now at the point where it is very noticeable that my hairs is growing. I saw my mom for the first time since the transplant (she lives out of state), and she noticed right away. I had been wondering what I was going to say (would I just mention some of the products I am using and thereby imply that the new growth is from them, or would I admit to having the transplant?). When my mom noticed she said "you have hair". Since it appeared to be a dramatic difference to her, I admitted to getting a transplant.

I'm curious, how did everyone else handle it?

BTW, my three month pictures are up. Take a look and let me know what you think.

Well, I am now at the point where it is very noticeable that my hairs is growing. I saw my mom for the first time since the transplant (she lives out of state), and she noticed right away. I had been wondering what I was going to say (would I just mention some of the products I am using and thereby imply that the new growth is from them, or would I admit to having the transplant?). When my mom noticed she said "you have hair". Since it appeared to be a dramatic difference to her, I admitted to getting a transplant.

I'm curious, how did everyone else handle it?

BTW, my three month pictures are up. Take a look and let me know what you think.

In my opinion, when people notice you have new hair, it is usually just a compliment. Unless that person is suffering with hair loss and wants to know "your secret," an explanation is probably not all that necessary. "Thanks" or "thanks, I've been using some products" is oftentimes a sufficient reply.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

I dont think there should be any shame in admitting youve had a HT. Women get boob jobs, nose jobs, liposuction, ETC... So why should we be ashamed to have things done that will boost our self esteem. I used to be ashamed of it but now the way I see it is if they can do something to enhance thier appearance than why cant we?

I would just tell them you're on propecia. The common person doesn't know much about the drug, and from my experience most believe it's "the miracle cure." These are usually the people who aren't losing hair and reading hair loss forums hahah.

Very interesting topic.

I have told people that Propecia seems to work wonders (which perhaps can be true for the rare few, just not in my case) and I have told others the truth. Though I am certainly not ashamed of my hair restoration, some people like to gossip. So it's better to make the decision ahead of time whether or not you want only a select few to know or the world. This will help you determine who to be honest with and who to make up stories.

Best wishes,

Bill

I wouldn't tell anyone, except maybe my immediate family. At 24, I told a few of my closest friends and one of them still brings it up 20 years later; when someone comments on his thinning hair.

He's one of my best friends, but he and others will tell people. Don't be fooled into thinking they won't.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

In our clinic we have 2 doctors who do cosmetic/plastic surgery as well as 2 doctors who do hair. It is surprising how many people only think "doll's head" when you say transplant. The majority of our cosmetic patients are brought in by their husband's. If we get a chance to talk and I mention we also do HT's they say no way, it would look so bad. I then show them mine and they are shocked, saying I never would have known you had one.

The biggest misconception in this industry is the work being done today is not what people remember. They only remember bad work and work done in the 60's through the 80's. That is why sites like this are so important. I tell everyone about it if it comes up in conversation and would do so even if I was not in the industry.

If the general population knew of the new methods and if all that was available were qualified HT docs, guys would feel much better at saying something when asked. Most of our new patients are referrals from existing patients, these guys and gals are so happy they tell everyone. One patient who had his last procedure in 2003 has sent me 5 new patients this year alone.

Be proud of what you are doing for yourself, if someone has a nice complement, tell them.

I am a hair restoration client and have 10 years experience in the hair restoration industry, all my views are my own

I've only mentioned it to family and a couple of close friends. I've had a couple of comments from people who hadn't seen me in awhile but more than i looked younger or looked great, not necessarily that I had lots more hair.

I did mention after HT #3, as for the reason for a shaved head, as having scar revision surgery (technically true since you get a new scar icon_wink.gif)

If you handle it right, which is very low-keyed, most people don't care, won't press you on it and move on to more important concerns - THEMSELVES!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

In my situation I was able to keep my hair long so the transplanted hair growth was almost completely invisible. I never told anyone except my hairstylist after the 2nd HT, she was going to notice the nicely healing scar anyway. The scar is now invisible even to her expert eyes on most days. My best excuse has been Propecia, "Yeah!! I got some great results from the pills!"