Diet warning

its-only-hair

I started having a receding hairline in my early 20's. I never paid too much notice to it, and tried to keep everything else in my life in balance. Then in my mid 30's I had major stress and my hairline receded a lot, to the point where I really noticed it and all my friends. My hair was still thick and full up top, apart from the hairline. I could live with it.

Last year I decided to lose weight for my 40th birthday. A couple of friends were going to Dr Bernstein's clinic and lost a lot of weight, they looked great. So I joined and sure enough I lost 30 pounds in about 6 weeks, AND HALF MY HAIR. It happened so fast I couldn't stop it. The other guys never lost any hair at all. So I know it's my genes. But for anyone worried about losing hair, do not go on a strict diet. You will regret it.

Now only a year after the diet I have gained half the weight back and lost even more hair. Not worth it.

My social life is terrible now, every time I go out someone has a comment about hair. People who have not seen me in a year or two look at my hair while I'm talking to them. I don't want to go to any social gatherings now, unless I can wear a hat. At work I wear a hat all day so no one can notice how much I have lost.

So, I am going to Dr Hasson this April for a HT. The sooner the better. Hopefully I can get my hairline back and get my social life and confidence back. I am getting 3500-4000 fu, hopefully more. I am doing the scalp exercises every chance I get.

top3.jpg.cd0422972660627d5d232c5196e29f9e.jpg

I started having a receding hairline in my early 20's. I never paid too much notice to it, and tried to keep everything else in my life in balance. Then in my mid 30's I had major stress and my hairline receded a lot, to the point where I really noticed it and all my friends. My hair was still thick and full up top, apart from the hairline. I could live with it.

Last year I decided to lose weight for my 40th birthday. A couple of friends were going to Dr Bernstein's clinic and lost a lot of weight, they looked great. So I joined and sure enough I lost 30 pounds in about 6 weeks, AND HALF MY HAIR. It happened so fast I couldn't stop it. The other guys never lost any hair at all. So I know it's my genes. But for anyone worried about losing hair, do not go on a strict diet. You will regret it.

Now only a year after the diet I have gained half the weight back and lost even more hair. Not worth it.

My social life is terrible now, every time I go out someone has a comment about hair. People who have not seen me in a year or two look at my hair while I'm talking to them. I don't want to go to any social gatherings now, unless I can wear a hat. At work I wear a hat all day so no one can notice how much I have lost.

So, I am going to Dr Hasson this April for a HT. The sooner the better. Hopefully I can get my hairline back and get my social life and confidence back. I am getting 3500-4000 fu, hopefully more. I am doing the scalp exercises every chance I get.

There is no doubt that losing your hair sucks. You have atleast made a wise decision to consult with H & W you will be happy with results. As I am sure that someone else will point it out to you, I hope you are aware that with your hairloss, you will definitely get a good cosmetic difference for frontal hairline, but will need approx. 5000+ to look full throughout scalp. Just an FYI. Good luck.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Thanks NervousNelly for your reply.

I am doing a lot of scalp exercises so Dr Hasson should be able to get 4000+ I hope. Most likely I will have to go back again in a couple of years time for a second ht for any more hair lost. I just starting taking Propecia last Friday so looking forward to some regrowth from it also.

I have reached the point where I had to take some action. Tired of people making comments about my hair, or looking at my head. I think ht's have got to the point now that they look natural. And maybe in the next few years cloning of hairs will be possible.

I have to say this site has been a big help for information and thank you to everyone for the postings. I like looking at the before and afters and most of them are very impressive.

My choice of Dr Hasson has a lot to do with all the positive postings here. And it sounds like H&W clinic is one of the best.

I sent away for a Bosley package and then while searching the web noticed this site, thank god. No Bosley for me.

Good choice in selecting H&W. They are masters at extracting the most hair possible in a single session. As for Bosley, be thankful indeed that you didn't go to them. I did as recently as 2000, and truly regret it now!

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog

Losing hair sucks no matter when, but the way you lost yours is disheartening. I suppose it's that much more noticable when it happens quickly.

Dr. Hasson can definitely do the job for you. I'll look forward to seeing the work. Be sure to post pics if you can.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Yes it really sucks losing hair fast, and losing half the hair up top within 6 weeks or so, really sucks.

I was doing so good holding on to it for so long, my father and two brothers were nw 5's or 6's in their mid 20's. So I am happy I didn't lose it until 40, I cannot imagine losing hair in the early 20's or worse teens.

Hairbank I took a look at your photos and they are excellent. If I get results like that I will be really happy, and won't be wearing a hat anymore. Your hairline looks really good. I'm sure your very pleased.

I will post the before and afters from all angles after surgery.

its-only-hair,

welcome to the forums. It definately does suck losing hair...we all know how you feel my friend.

Though I can certainly understand why you would coorelate dieting with hairloss, I would venture to say that they are unrelated coincidences, unless you severely deprived yourself of nutrition!

Dr. Hasson is an excellent choice. I'm 3.5 months post op from my surgery with him...see below link for details.

Bill

Bill,

After seeing your photos and reading your story it makes me even more happy with my choice of Doctor. Your photos look good and I'm sure you'll be very happy with the final result.

The diet I was on was very strict, 5 lbs weight loss a week without exercise. http://www.drbdiet.com/ Great way to lose weight, but for whatever reason rapid hair loss also. I complained to the Doctor and he said it happens to some people and give me fish oil capsules.

I'm flying to Vancouver also, do you recommend staying a few nights after surgery? Or just leaving and going home? I'm thinking of just leaving the day after as I might be in pain and just want to put my feet up at home.

Originally posted by its-only-hair:

I'm flying to Vancouver also, do you recommend staying a few nights after surgery? Or just leaving and going home? I'm thinking of just leaving the day after as I might be in pain and just want to put my feet up at home.

It's only hair,

I'd strongly recommend staying in the local area for a few days. The first few days after surgery are so important in terms of your care and who better to care for you than the HT doctor and assistants? You can then return to H&W for your first wash, they can check all the grafts and the donor area, remove any blood that may be there, etc. Plus, if you're just hanging around your hotel room, you can consistently rest with your head at an elevated position and use the graftcyte spray as often as required by your doctor.

If you are travelling, there's always the risk of lifting a heavy bag, not being able to spray your head, etc. After my recent surgery, I stayed in the local area for several days after. Each day I had my hair washed and checked by Shapiro's staff. It was great knowing that I could do no wrong since I was in the best of hands.

Treat it as a mini holiday for yourself...

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog

Thanks for the advice M&M,

I have not booked my flight yet, so staying an extra few days wouldn't hurt and H&W could take a look at the ht again. I'm taking a week off work to help recover properly. The next day after surgery was anyone able to go out to restaurants with a hat on?

M&M I also checked your photos, and your hairline looks good.

Going out the next day is no problem at all. Just be very careful not to bump your head! Those transplants could easily get dislodged at that point. If I recall correctly, Dr Hasson says that by day 10, the transplants will have 90% of their total strength. Good luck. S-n-P

HT#1 4944FU 23May06-Hasson

HT#2 1960FU 16Jan07- Hasson

6904 Total FU, 13160 Hairs

2184-1's, 3184-2's, 1536-3's