Potential recommendation of Dr. Marla Rosenberg in Toronto

• Administrators

Dear Forum Members,

As many of you know, we gather as much information as possible about a physician, their staff, technique and track record before they are even considered for recommendation on the Hair Transplant Network. Part of our review process involves getting input from patients and the members of this forum community. To learn more about this review process, click here.

We are currently considering Dr. Marla Rosenberg of Toronto for recommendation on the Hair Transplant Network. At this time, she is not being reviewed for Coalition membership. We would appreciate your input regarding her possible recommendation.

At present we do not recommend any clinic in Toronto. Currently Dr. Rosenberg is the only physician being given serious consideration for recommendation in Toronto.

Dr. Rosenberg has been performing hair transplantation as the primary part of her practice for 7 years in Toronto, Canada. She has the staff and experience to perform over 2,500 follicular unit grafts in a single session when appropriate for the patient and operates on only one patient daily in order to give them her undivided focus and attention.

In most cases, Dr. Rosenberg uses a single blade to harvest the donor strip to minimize the risk of transection during removal. On occasion and depending on the patient's donor, Dr. Rosenberg will use a double blade which she believes is just as effective as a single blade when used at an angle in minimizing the risk of transection. While she uses the trichophytic closure technique for some patients, she believes a standard closure is optimal for some, depending on each patient's needs and long term hair restoration goals. Dr. Rosenberg closes the donor area with sutures using a single layer running stitch which she feels is optimal for minimizing the appearance of the scar.

Dr. Rosenberg's highly trained staff of 10 technicians averaging 12 years of experience dissects follicular unit grafts under microscopes and then places them delicately into recipient sites under her direct supervision. Dr. Rosenberg will use the occasional DFU (double follicular unit ??“ 2 follicular units grouped close together) to create a greater illusion of hair density in the forelock and crown area when appropriate for the patient.

Dr. Rosenberg believes in customizing a hair transplant for each patient. Using instruments as small as a 20 gauge needle, she creates a mix of sagital and coronal incisions. Dr. Rosenberg believes this works best to mimic the angulation and orientation of natural hair and maximize naturalness and the illusion of coverage and density.

To get a visual overview of Dr. Rosenberg's surgical process and technique, visit Surgical Walkthrough Photos.

Given Dr. Rosenberg's extensive experience and commitment to high quality follicular unit hair transplantation, Bill and I believe that she should be considered for recommendation. See our standards for recommendation.

Patient and surgical examples can be found below:

2104 Grafts with Dr. Rosenberg

2234 Grafts with Dr. Rosenberg

1937 Grafts with Dr. Rosenberg

5566 Grafts in 3 Sessions with Dr. Rosenberg

2000 Grafts with Dr. Rosenberg

2233 Grafts Post Op with Dr. Rosenberg

1329 Grafts Post Op with Dr. Rosenberg

We welcome input and comments from forum members regarding her potential recommendation.

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Her work looks clean even when she doesn't shave the area. I am not that big of a fan on some of those hairline designs. The gentleman that got 2,000 grafts had a real nice result especially for only 10 months! Maybe some of those cases those patients had some really fine hair, so it made it look worse that it really was.

You only live once...

Overall I am impressed with her work. I would say yes to the recommendation.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

I think I'd echo Arrie's sentiments. The work does look solid and I see no reason to not give the thumbs up for a recommendation, and the first ever in Toronto.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

• Administrators

I appreciate everyone's input. Thanks for taking the time to review Dr. Rosenberg's photo albums.

For clarification, we did recommend a couple of clinics in Toronto in the past. However, after Dr. Seager's death, I discontinued our recommendation for the Seager clinic. Since then, I did visit the Seager clinic in Toronto last year as well as other clinics in Toronto.

The Seager clinic is now being run by Dr. McKenzie. The clinic still subscribes to using "chubby" follicular grafts, which they believe assure higher rates of graft survival and growth. The medical techs also creates the vast majority of recipient site incisions and then immediately places the grafts. This technique is reffered to as "stick and place".

Relative to ultra refined grafting, these chubby grafts are large and require relatively large and invasive incisions that preclude doing modern dense packing. Frankly, I think the Seager clinic and their patients would be well served to acknowledge that leading clinics have been performing ultra refined grafting with high rates of growth for several years now, without cutting "chubby" grafts that contain extra non vital epithelium tissue.

I also dropped a clinic in Toronto last year after visiting their clinic and observing their surgery. In my opinion, their surgery had not evolved with the times. I do not intend to divulge the name of this clinic as I agreed to discreetly remove them.

In my opinion, based on all the information I have gathered about clinics in Toronto, Dr. Marla Rosenberg is the front runner.

It would be great to provide the many hair loss sufferers in the Toronto area with a solid recommendation in their own city, which is currently lacking on the Hair Transplant Network.

I believe that Dr. Rosenberg will serve this community very well in Toronto.

Onwards and Upwards, Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

I considered Dr Rosenberg and met with her twice (I am in Toronto)...as you know, she practices with Dr. Walter Unger, one of the pioneers in the field,and who was my Doctor back in 1980.

I found her very persobable, candid and honest with regard to the usual questions...I eventually went with Dr. Rahal as he was only 3.5 hours away and had more extensive experience and reputation etc, and price was similar if not a little less. However, based upon my limited contact with her, and a review of her work and philosophy, I would support the recommendation.

I would have to agree with PGP. Not all of her presented cases look good. I don't really like bashing doctors but I honestly don't think she is a match to Drs Feller, Alexander, Shapiro, H&W (yet time may show though).

• Administrators

Thanks for everyone's input. While we all have a healthy skepticism about clinics that we have not seen on the forums, I believe that Dr. Rosenberg and her experienced staff have earned the right to be recommended on the Hair Transplant Network.

With time I expect we will see many impressive results from their patients in the future.

I'm glad that the very large Toronto metro area now has a solid and ethical choice right in their own backyard. I expect Dr. Rosenberg and her staff will do everything they can to confirm that their ongoing recommendation is merited.

Please join me in welcoming Dr. Rosenberg and her staff as our new recommended clinic in Toronto. To view her recommendation profile, click here.

Best wishes,

Pat

My Hair Loss Blog

I just saw the photos, she indeed does a clean job but I dnt know something is missing when comparing her with the giants Doctors H&W, Feller, Shapiro... maybe the number of grafts in one session is small.. she should consider 3000+ grafts/session , it would boost her reputation and achieving best results. but as I said she did a nice job very clean.

I agree with Please Grow Please. Some of the before photos are not indicative of someone with significant hair loss, as is the case with the 1300 & 2000 FU photos. I would like to see the results of someone with more thinning and what those results look like.

• Administrators

Guys, I hear what you are saying about seeing more large sessions. That is why Coalition membership is reserved only for those who have expanded their capability to provide 3,000 plus graft sessions to patients when appropriate. To see the Coalition membership requirements, click here.

Dr. Rosenberg is not currently being considered for Coalition membership. But I believe she is doing refined and very solid follicular unit grafting. I expect that she will also expand her session sizes and in time be eligible for membership in the Coalition.

My Hair Loss Blog