1 year ago transplant, 1800 in receding hairline

Never lost ANY of the transplant, at least that you could see which I was told it would fall out then grow back.

Now, the transplanted hair grows upwards only so it looks like I have little Horns.

It's a bit funny, yes, but also a bit concerning since it cost me $6000 and bothers me tremendously although I am happy overall with the transplant.

Anyone know what I can do to "tame" the hair?

***I had a great experience with the doc (Dr. Feller) so I in NO way think it is his fault. I am just wondering how to fix my own problem. I am actually planning to go back to Dr. Feller for my next transplant.

side-shot.jpg.cee5f37f46489e7c206a11fc97d2e22a.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 year ago transplant, 1800 in receding hairline

Never lost ANY of the transplant, at least that you could see which I was told it would fall out then grow back.

Now, the transplanted hair grows upwards only so it looks like I have little Horns.

It's a bit funny, yes, but also a bit concerning since it cost me $6000 and bothers me tremendously although I am happy overall with the transplant.

Anyone know what I can do to "tame" the hair?

***I had a great experience with the doc (Dr. Feller) so I in NO way think it is his fault. I am just wondering how to fix my own problem. I am actually planning to go back to Dr. Feller for my next transplant.

I'm certainly no expert, but have you tried letting it grow longer? I would think you can "train" the hair over time.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

NYC-FL-TRANSPLANT;

In general, hair transplanted into the hairline should be placed at an angle that is as acute as possible with the scalp. That is, there should be a small angle between the forward projection of the hair shaft and the scalp. Exceptions to this are when you have a pre-existing "cowlick" that the surgeon may want to reproduce. That said, it would appear that the hair was placed at proper angles in your case.

Were that not the case, a second procedure to address this situation can give excellent results simply by placing grafts (in that further session) in a normal (acute angle) orientation surrounding these. The newly placed surrounding hair will act as a "scaffolding", as you will, for the "old" grafts when all are the same length, so that styling to correct the original appearance will be much easier.

Again, that does not appear to be an issue here.

Grow well.

Sincerely,

Timothy Carman, MD ABHRS

President, (ABHRS)
ABHRS Board of Directors

I have tried letting it grow longer but since my hair is curly, it gets bushy. If I keep it shorter (not short, just shorter) the rest looks good it's just the 2 side parts which throw me off. If I use some type of gel stuff, I can tame it down but I am not a big fan of that look so I just don't know what to do.

I don't want to have to have another surgery to fix the issue since A.) I don't have the money because I need hair more on the top of my head now B.) It's not that bad to most people, it's just something that bothers me tremendoulsy

Dr Feller is a good surgeon so I wouldnt think its anything he did. Your just going to have to try different products or styles .Go to a professional stylist and ask for advice and a new cut .

I know thats difficult for some guys to go but Ive seen great transformations when others have

NYC,

Welcome to our forum community.

How long ago did you have your hair transplant? I have found that hair is a little harder to manage/style and slowly becomes easier up to 1 year or even better at 18 months.

Hair is rarely placed to grow straight up, as Dr. Carman said, typically angled similarly to your natural hair. You can always try using other styling products to see what works best for you.

Best wishes,

Bill

Dr Feller is a good surgeon so I wouldnt think its anything he did. Your just going to have to try different products or styles .Go to a professional stylist and ask for advice and a new cut .

I know thats difficult for some guys to go but Ive seen great transformations when others have

PGP,

Just because it's Dr. Feller does not mean it's nothing he did. Now Im not saying that he did do anything wrong, but it does appear that the hair grows in differant directions. Maybe it's the way his hair grows! Maybe not!

Plus I said I wouldnt THINK , not that it wasnt possible .It would be nice if you read and understood before posting that you believe Im rejecting the possibility of a screwup .I highly doubt it though. I know, I know, you want first place again so you feel the need to post on every thread ,its cool . You go Dakota its your world icon_wink.gif

NYC-FL-TRANSPLANT

One more thing my first transplant the hair looked awful at 12 months It was dry and frizzy and wouldnt comb forward even wet with shampoo.

Eventually {16-18 months} the hair returned to normal texture and there was no difference so things can change. Do you have postop pics

Ya know, I actually agree that I thought it would be much thicker as well. I am trying to tackle 1 thing at a time.

Here is a pic about 4 hours after surgery.

I am trying to find a pre-op shot that shows a good before. Basically, it was the typical receding hairline

4-hours-postop.jpg.21582590c84d9faba27b499e8fcb6610.jpg

You know what Im not sure Dr Feller made any mistakes when it comes to the directon of the grafts but so far the yeild has been a total bust. I would go see him asap. Maybe the picture washed the hair out somehow but if that pic and what you see everyday is the same then as of now it was a failure. Dr Feller should be responsible for the replacement free of charge. He doesnt have many bad results but this pic shows NO improvement

I would go see DR Feller. 1800 grafts should have given you much better coverage. He is a great Dr and I'm sure he will mkae things right

1800 grafts in the transplanted area on this patient honestly looks about right.

NYC,

I'm not sure if you saw my question, but when did you have your hair transplant? How many months out from surgery are you?

Best wishes,

Bill

seems like feller used to few of grafts considering the size of the area being filled in. i had a 1/3 of the size of your recipient area and packed in 1300 grafts. you probably should have been around 2500 grafts. but hey im no doctor. i would go see feller though, he probably would touch things up for you.

Bill,he said at the beginning he is a year out.

density issues aside,im a little confused.you said that the tp,d hair was standing up,but in the latest pics you combed it forward.

does it stay down when you comb it?

2381 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2201 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2000+ fut Dr Bessam Farjo

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Bessam Farjo

challenge the unchallenged.

Yes, I am 1 year out, June 6th, 2007 was my surgery.

It does not stay down when combed EXCEPT, when I go out to do stuff, I use my girlfriends "bed head" styling stuff to knock it down. It;s some kind of thick/heavy stuff and I put a lot on in those 2 areas.

It will stay down using that for awhile but to be honest, after a few hours, it seems to creep back up.

NYC,

Sorry, I missed where you said you are a year post-op.

I agree with PGP that your hair should soften and continue to mature over the next 6 months. I did notify Dr. Feller of this post last night though I'm not sure how often he checks his clinical email. I trust that he will address your concerns. Be sure to contact him with them privately also so he can help you.

Best wishes,

Bill