Propecia

rob2

I have been using propecia for about 3 weeks now. How long will it take to know if it is working? Also I went to a derm, because I have about 3 bald patches on the top of my scalp. He did a biospy and the results showed nothing except scaring. Anyone have any ideas what is going on, the derm first said he did not think the bald spots were mpb. I don't know anymore. Also were is the cheepest place to get propecia, the derm would not give me a rx for proscar. any help would be great, thanks

I have been using propecia for about 3 weeks now. How long will it take to know if it is working? Also I went to a derm, because I have about 3 bald patches on the top of my scalp. He did a biospy and the results showed nothing except scaring. Anyone have any ideas what is going on, the derm first said he did not think the bald spots were mpb. I don't know anymore. Also were is the cheepest place to get propecia, the derm would not give me a rx for proscar. any help would be great, thanks

rob2,

I don't know about the bald patches............it sometimes takes Propecia users up to a year to notice the difference so you really need to wait a while before judging.

I'm not sure about buying Propecia as I buy Proscar from Wal-Mart. Maybe someone else will chime in?

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Originally posted by stratman:

I have been on Propecia for nine months and must say I am very disappointed. I have considerably less hair than before. Hair is always falling out. Going to take it to the one year mark and re-evaluate then.

Bummer. I have read that it can take up to a year to see any results and that some people just don't respond well to finasteride. Hang in there.

I am 26 and just started getting bald. I have been researching a lot lately. One of the consultants in Medical Hair Restoration USA has told me that propecia might have some side effects. One of side effects he hinted was regarding sex life. But here I see people using it for years. Can some one help me out on this. And how should I decide on whether I should use Propecia or proscar.

I've been taking finasteride for at least a couple of years and I can honestly say I don't think I've experienced any negative side effects whatsoever. As to whether it's helping my hair, I hope so.

Propecia vs. Proscar: Propecia is 1mg tablets of finasteride, which is the recommended daily dose to prevent hair loss. Proscar is 5mg tablets of finasteride which many people (me included) cut using an exacto knife or a pill cutter, into fifths or quarters for approximately 1mg or 1.25mg dose. Proscar is by far the less expensive option. In either case you need a prescription or you can buy generics online at any of a number of online pharmacies.

Most importantly of all, do NOT go to MHR for a transplant, if you do decide to go the transplant route. Go to an independent doctor with proven results. Good luck!

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I have one more question. My hair loss has actually stopped. I am not experiencing severe hair loss. May be 10 grands a day. But previous hair loss has left some patches on my scalp. If I take propecia, will it help in regrowing hair there?

I mean does propecia help in regrowing hair or just stops hair loss

Generally speaking, finasteride seems to be more effective at 'regrowing' hair in younger guys. I guess this is because hair follicles of young guys aren't entirely weakened as they are with older guys. So if you, at age 26, continue taking it, you may see cosmetic improvement in your hair. However, for the most part evverything I've read suggests that finasteride is good for slowing down hairloss. Any regrowth is a bonus. Also, it's not clear how long it will continue to be effective.

When you say you have patches of hair loss what do you mean? Are you sure it's not a non-mpb form of hairloss causing that?

What is mpb?

I will share one of my experiences. When I was experiencing sever hair loss, my salonist gave me a scalp treatment shampoo, conditioner and a solution. After I started applying that my hair started to grow. But when I stopped that, it again came back to the same situation. May be worse. I have read somewhere in this forum that such kind of solutions have some amount of finasteride. And one of the consultants told me that once you stop using finasteride, you will again start losing hair. Is this true? Should I continue using that solution or would it be better if I start taking propecia directly.

The only reason I did not take propecia was because of its side effects.

where is the cheepest place to get proscar, and has anyone used the generic, I do not have a rx for proscar, I do for propecia, I am kinda of afraid using the generic off line, anyone use it, let me know, is it the real stuff, thanks

rob2 ask your dermatologist if he feels comfortable prescribing you actual proscar instead of propecia. This will allow you to have 4 months of application versus one month. All you need to do is purchase a pill splicer and acurately divide the medication. As you know propecia is a smaller dosage of proscar (finasteride), Hairbank is maximizing his usage while saving bucks$$$$!!! I agree with Hairbank's regimen. Propecia can help support the stop of hair loss. I have noticed fine hair growing on my frontal and mid scalp. My crown area has remained very thin but I have retained hair and grew some new low quality hair. I have used proscar for about 13 months consistenly. I also utilize a natural product called Permixon Complex. You can research this product via web site: biomedichair.com. It is all natural with no known side effects. You can also call the founder of biomedic at 1-800-694-4247 he has been very informative and given me free advice in regards to hair restoration. I should mention the fact I recently had my first hair transplantation on July 25, 2006 by Dr. Glenn Charles at the Charles Medical Group in Beautiful Boca Raton, FL. I had around 2200 FUT's and cannot wait to see my results. I found my experience very pleasant and his staff was awesome! rob2 good luck on your quest to healthier hair and be methodical on the regimen that you choose.

rob2, my apologies I should read your comments a bit closer. Your derm will not prescribe you proscar have you tried your primary physician. I get my presciption filled at Rite-Aid and they charge me: 35.00.....

Originally posted by Sanjeev:

What is mpb?

I will share one of my experiences. When I was experiencing sever hair loss, my salonist gave me a scalp treatment shampoo, conditioner and a solution. After I started applying that my hair started to grow. But when I stopped that, it again came back to the same situation. May be worse. I have read somewhere in this forum that such kind of solutions have some amount of finasteride. And one of the consultants told me that once you stop using finasteride, you will again start losing hair. Is this true? Should I continue using that solution or would it be better if I start taking propecia directly.

The only reason I did not take propecia was because of its side effects.

MPB = male pattern baldness. If a topical solution that your hairstylist gave you was able to halt or reverse your hairloss then it suggests some other skin condition that was causing you to lose hair. You should really probably talk to a dermatologist.

Hi

I'e been on Propecia close to 10 years. It stopped my hairloss and regrew some with no side effects.I have not had any side effects at all.give it a full year to assess it's result. All of those other shampoos and stuff don't work. Spoon, that stuff did not grow any air as it is all a big lie (amazing what we think sometimes). Nizoral shampoo has shown some mild anti DHT effects so you guys should use that about 3 x per week.. remember, minoxidil and Propecia are the only proven items to regrow hair..

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!