Hair Transplant in San Jose

skant

Be careful!!! There is a Bolsey and a MHR there. Don't base your decision on location, or you may regret it..

Lorenzo

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

skant,

You want the best doctor to do your HT, not the most convenient. So don't limit yourself to Northern California doctors.

Most of us traveled from hither and yon to get our HT's. You should read everything you can here and then talk with the top doctors who you think might match you needs. Meet their patients in person and then choose one, if you still believe HT surgery is right for you.

Good luck,

Mr. T

Some of you may recall my post few months ago. I'm 25, NW 2/3, and was seriously thinking about HT.

I went to Rosanelli and was denied because I am too young, so he recommended propecia. Feeling pissed off at the time, I now respect his opinion, and maybe waiting a few more years would be better. I eventually brought generic propecia (1/4 proscar) online and give it a try. It probably won't restore my hairline, but at a piece of mind, at least I'm TRYING to do something about my hair, instead of feeling disgruntled about it. I'll consider HT when I'm 27 or 28.

Anyways, my story tells you about Rosanelli's ethics, and that he cares how his patients will look in the long term. As far as his actual HT work, the pictures of other patients I saw look good to me (though I ain't a professional in analyzing HT). Another thing I notice in the consultation room is that there are several autograph pictures of well known former sport stars, like John Madden, Rick Barry, and former 49er and Raider players. I suppose that is a good way to convince consulting patients.

Here is his (sucky) website, http://www.rosanelli.com/

They also respond to emails.

Another surgeon in SF that I've seen in the ads is hairdoc.com I don't know if he is any good. Anyone had good (or bad) HT experience in the Bay Area?

I took some time and went to his web site. I'm glad to hear that he made a decision to turn away a patient he didn't think was at a good stage. That does say outstanding things about his ethics. Some things that are good and some things that concerned me on his web site:

Good

He appears to use microscopes - "Hair follicles are very, very small and difficult to see. We use microscopes for the preparation of all the hair you receive during a hair transplant."

Bad

He appears to use Micro/Minigrafting vs FU - "This strip is then dissected into micro and mini grafts. Micrografts- are for the hairline they have 1-3 hairs and are very, very small. Minigrafts - are placed behind the Micrografts for thickness and are still very small (mostly 1 - 1.5 mm.) The number of hairs depends on your own personal density, but generally will range from 3-7 hairs. Micros are placed in small incisions which are expanded with dilators so that the skin closes down over the grafts. Minis are placed in incisions where a small amount of bald skin has actually been removed."

Recommends 4 - 6 months between sessions (I was only concerned about transection of ungrown hair on this) - "Depending on the thickness you want you may want 2-3 sessions which need to be 4- 6 months apart."

Price (Most of the highly rated docs charge less than this on average I'd say) - "For very small sessions of micro and Minigrafts, the cost is $13.00 a graft this would be for sessions under 200 grafts. Next in price would be an intermediate session. This would cover from about mid ear to the front and would range approximately 200-300 grafts. The cost is $2600.00 per session. The next level would be a major session which would extend farther back into the crown and include the front. The cost for this is $3600.00 per session. If the area is very wide and requires more than 600 grafts, the additional grafts are charged at $4.00 per graft."

Lastly I was concerned with his references to doing scalp reductions. I know that in the right hands they are potentially good but they just seem to be risky to me.

These were just some things I noticed. Obviously his web site looks like it is out of date and an email/phone call to him might find that he is doing things differently now. If someone finds out new info keep us up to speed. Always nice when someone does run across another doctor that consistently can provide good results.

Dart!

If that is Dr. Rosanelli's current approach, I would steer clear of him. You want to avoid Minigrafts, they usually do not look totally natural, and are an inefficient way to use your donor hair.

Also, the use of dilators ("hole stretchers") is bad. So is the technique of removing tissue in the recipient area, to (ahem) "make room for grafts". This is a sure sign that the grafts being used are TOO BIG and potentially PLUGGY. These two techniques also add to scarring in the recipient area and will make your scalp look like it has grafts growing out of your scalp, instead of natural looking hair. A state-of-the-art transplant would not use those methods.

Maybe Dr. Rossanelli just needs to update his website, but if this really is his current treatment (which is what a lot of clinics still actually do) then avoid him like the plague.