Why cant we use someone else's hair during a HT?

Ok, this may sound like a silly question, but since we all want density and a perfect head of hair, why cant we blend in someone's elses hair during a HT? For instance, can we use a hair type similar to ours during a ht? Since the donor area is so limited and we all want density, we can just find someone with similar hair and have them "donate" some. Would that work?

If it isn't yours, it won't be a genetic match and your body won't accept it.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

My understanding is that you would be able to use somebody hair (a close match) instead of yours as long as you are using anti-rejection drugs. The anti-rejections drugs have very powerful side effects that no doctor in there right mind would give them to you for your hair. Sure you may have more hair but your kidneys and liver would cause alot of problems you may even start looking yellow because of the effect of the drugs.

Just my thoughts.......

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Even if it was possible I think people would donate a kidney before giving their hair!

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Nope. Thank Goodness it finally got through my thickhead. I am looking at a doctor in the States

Thin,

This is very good news and a decision that you will be thankful you made for the rest of your life! Good for you!

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...

The genes that determine the components of the immune system that distinguish self and non-self (i.e. foreign) molecules are among most complexly evolving in our genomes (HLA/MHC). Moreover, they are extremely hard to characterize. So even when tests show a "perfect match" this is based on our limited understanding of these genes. There is invariable significant variation and specificities we are not yet able to characterize.

This is where anti-rejection drugs come in. They are pretty damn risky drugs, and only given in the case of life threatening conditions or extreme transplant surgeries. However, on these drugs you leave yourself extremely vulnerable to infection and disease, as your immune system is essentially suppressed. For instance if someone just had a kidney transplant, and then was unfortunate to contract AIDs (or even something less severe), then the anti-rejection drugs would be halted right away.

It's all about trade-offs in treatments for the overall well being of a person. Although people do care about being bald, it is not a severe enough condition that warrants potentially life threatening treatments.

Within the next 20 years I would be surprised if hair could not be grown from stem cell implants.