Hey all. I noticed after my transplant that my "wonderful" surgeon Dr. Khan made my transplanted hair flow more towards the back of my head. Well, any fool can see that natural hair flows forward, towards your forehead. Has anyone else had this or am I the only one who got the big shaft? Can surgeons plant the hair so they have control over which way it flows? I don't even know if I want to go in to her office in December, because I am just going to be upset and tell her how bad of a job she did.

PS- I found that if I run my nails over the area, it is bumpy still. Does anyone else have this? If so, does it ever go away?

yes, the doc places the grafts in the proper angle/direction depending on your unique characteristics; so yes, the doc has control on the direction/angle of the grafts; I did a search on Dr. Khan and it appears she doesn't have the greatest rep...don't know much about her though; care to share any pics

I heard this exact same scenario when I had work done three weeks ago, the tech said she was visiting family in Miami and her cousin brought over a friend who had work done (didnt say by who) and his hair grew straight back (apparently he was very pleased with this look) but she did not like it at all, said it looked unnatural (patient likely didnt know any better but will someday)

To answer your question: Yes, the direction of growth of the grafts is determined largely by surgeon skill. You will probably need to post pics. here to find out for sure if your grafts are growing properly (I really cant tell you much on this other than some members here have complained of this when they were not satisfied with their results)

ChargerFan,

Transplanted hair should match the direction of natural hair. While many people's hair direction is forward, some are indeed backwards.

Can you describe the bumps you are feeling? This may be cobblestoning which can happen for a few reasons and no this won't go away. This can occur when a hair transplant surgeon doesn't make the incision deep enough or the dermis around the graft is too fat to fit into the incision. The dermis therefore never flattens and sticks up creating a bump.

Hopefully this is not the case - but with proper hair density, at the very least, it can be concealed.

Bill

Replicating that "flow" is where the doctors experience and skill really comes in. I was looking closely at my hair line and this "flow" a while back and comparing it to close up pictures I had from 20 YEARS ago. Dr Hasson did a phenomenal job as far as I can tell. How in the hell he was able to figure out exactly how the hair should be directed to grow in places where the had not been hair for 20 years is beyond me. I don't understand how he figures that out but I'm sure glad he does.

There are parts of the scalp where, naturally, you will see sudden shifts in hair angles and direction. But if all your transplanted hair is directed backwards, it is probably a real issue and not something you are imagining.

It's understandable that you think you might be upset when you go for your follow-up evaluation consult. If you choose to address the problems with your doc, you may want to get some other opinions of the work in advance. What I mean is that you may wish to send your photos to other experts and the field to get impressions of the result. When you see your surgeon, you can express you dissatisfaction about the procedure and also indicate what other physicians have observed. I think it will show that, while you are not pleased, you are still level-headed and objective. Hopefully you can resolve the issue.

Getting opinions from other qualified docs is a good thing in general as it is proactive step and, if you are interested in repair work, it is a necessary step too.

Best of luck to you.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.