3 hair grafts - 956 = 2,868 hairs

4 hair grafts - 273 = 1,092 hairs

5 hair grafts - 51 = 255 hairs

-----------

9,905 total hairs

4,686 grafts = 9,905 hairs with Dr. Cooley 9/24/08

My Hair Loss WebLog

Carl:

Nice and clean results, especially the scar. I did not know that 5 hairs grafts exist.

In term of shaving, are you concerned that dr. Cooley did NOT shave your head? From what i read, planting between grafts is more time consuming. On top of that, the direction of hair is difficult to assess when the hair is long.

Nobody want to the shave, however, I would prefer getting optimal results (by shaving and making my doctor's job easier), even if it means i will have an ugly duckling period of 2 or 3 months.

What do you think? did you debate this before going with Cooley? Thanks.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Thank you all for the kind words of support. It means a lot.

latinlotus:

Regarding your question about shaving, there was no debate with Dr. Cooley. I hesitate to try to fully explain what Dr. Cooley explained to me when I expressed the concerns of not shaving that I have read about on the forum for fear of not doing his explanation justice. In simplest terms, he said that shaving saves some time, but does absolutely nothing to impact the results. I know this is contradictory to what others have said. I can say that when I compared his full explanation as to why I would not be sacrificing any aspect of my final result and compared it with the concerns I read on the forum, I felt most comfortable with Dr. Cooley's reasoning. I understand it is possible for someone else hear the same two points of view and come to a different conclusion than I did. If I felt that shaving would have improved my result I would have done it. All things being equal, I preferred not to shave, but would have done it if there was some payoff other than the procedure taking more time. Dr. Cooley not requesting his patient shave was an extremely minor factor in choosing him to be my doctor.

Carl

My Hair Loss WebLog

Hi Carl:

I am reassured with your explanation. It is funny that a doctor is trying to make our life easier by not requiring us to shave, and we are questioning his competence/approach.

I fully trust dr. Cooley and just like you, shaving or not does not play any part in my decision.

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

I noticed this quote from Dr. Cooley on an earlier post, from Sept. 29. For the record, I might have shaved my head but it was close to a deal breaker for me as well....

"Simply restoring the frontal hairline results in improvement but the wide forehead that results from failing to restore the temples will lead to a sub-optimal result. We used both lateral and sagital slits. Most of our patients do not want to shave their heads and expect to be back to work in a week so we like the sagital slits to blend into existing hair. We also try to angle the grafts very acutely foreward so the patient has more styling options: downward, to the side, or combed back. If the grafts are too upright, the patient often has to comb the hair back because it won't lay down. Temporal restoration must be undertaken with care in younger men because further recession behind temporal grafts can be problematic."

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Thanks again for all of the support. I am going back to see Dr. Cooley this Monday morning to have my stitches removed and confirmation that things are progressing as they should be.

As I've continued to have conversations with Dr. Cooley about questions and concerns, I continue to be extraordinarily impressed with his sincere concern for even my most minor concerns. I can't remember feeling this cared for by any doctor I have dealt with, and I unfortunately, I have dealt with more than my share of doctors.

Carl

My Hair Loss WebLog

I'm 12 days post surgery. I got my stitches out and head cleaned up by Dr. Cooley today. He said the donor scar and recipient areas are healing great. He took pictures and will be emailing them to me. I will post them on my weblog when I get them in the next few days. Overall everything is going great with one exception. I continue to have some allover pain, with some stabbing pain also. I'm not too worried because, as I said, Dr. Cooley said everything is healing well. No signs of any infection. Hopefully it will fade in the next few days. I hesitated to even post about it, but Dr. Cooley encouraged me to share it. He wants people to know it all. He doesn't want anything held back. As far as I am concerned, his attitude about absolute full disclosure is one more very important reason to respect him.

I will post the following in a separate post as well here for maximum exposure in order to hopefully help the most people possible. I would like to make an open offer to anyone in the Atlanta area to get in touch with me to see, first hand, my hair transplant at whatever stage it happens to be in when they want to see it. I see this as a small "pay it forward" gesture considering all of the help and direct input I got from the group and specific individuals that I contacted from the group.

Carl

My Hair Loss WebLog

Eman: I vaguely remember Dr. Cooley doing both putting a warm wash cloth on the area and then pointing on some kind ointment first thing and then cleaned up my scalp, then snipped the stitches. To be honest, I wasn't paying that close attention to what he was doing. We were chatting the whole time, and of course it was all going on behind my head.

Carl

My Hair Loss WebLog

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by yourcoach:

Thank you all for the kind words of support. It means a lot.

latinlotus:

Regarding your question about shaving, there was no debate with Dr. Cooley. I hesitate to try to fully explain what Dr. Cooley explained to me when I expressed the concerns of not shaving that I have read about on the forum for fear of not doing his explanation justice. In simplest terms, he said that shaving saves some time, but does absolutely nothing to impact the results. I know this is contradictory to what others have said. I can say that when I compared his full explanation as to why I would not be sacrificing any aspect of my final result and compared it with the concerns I read on the forum, I felt most comfortable with Dr. Cooley's reasoning. I understand it is possible for someone else hear the same two points of view and come to a different conclusion than I did. If I felt that shaving would have improved my result I would have done it. All things being equal, I preferred not to shave, but would have done it if there was some payoff other than the procedure taking more time. Dr. Cooley not requesting his patient shave was an extremely minor factor in choosing him to be my doctor.

Carl

Dr. Keene feels the same way about shaving. She basically told me that the ONLY person it helps is the doctor. It saves them time, and she feels that since this is a surgery that WE are paying A LOT for to look better, it doesn't make sense to inconvenience the patient any more than she already has to. I mean, who wants to look like Bozo the Clown for any length of time? It's quite a humiliating look. It's the look that we are all trying to avoid! There are several coalition doctors out there that don't require shaving that consistently produce fantastic results.

S5H

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Keene

3700+ Grafts with Dr. Keene 8/26/08 & 8/27/08

9600+ Total Hairs

S5H:

If dr. Keene AND dr. Cooley, my two favorite doctors, are ok with not shaving, then I am ok with not shaving. I have no need to question this issue any further.

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs