Donor area & scar width

Abby

Im 9 weeks post op and my scar is just under a quater of an inch" wide 4mm to be exact and pinky in colour. Is this normal. Also what other measures can taken in order minimise the actuall scar visibility, besides just growing hair in length. I always have a no1 buzz cut due to the physical activities I do i,e, contact sport etc..

Can you post some pics, as a 1/4 inch scar is pretty wide. I think for normal scars, buzzing down to a no. 3 is about as short as you can get it; and still hide the scar.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

hi abby,how are things?

i think you would be exremely lucky to get away with a no1 buzz,in fact it would be impossible to disguise a strip that short without concealer and even then.

i can go to a no4.

i dont know what width is considered good or bad,maybe someone else can chime in?

as for the pinkness,this will fade month by month and should be good by month 6.again im only going on my own experience.

got any pics?

2381 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2201 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2000+ fut Dr Bessam Farjo

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Bessam Farjo

challenge the unchallenged.

Anything 2.5mm or less is considered acceptable by any standard--- for some patients it is of no concern. For others it is of paramount importance.

At 9 weeks post op, 4mm will likely shrink further--- sometimes when looking at a "scar" we tend to add in the pink or red portions and equate that to the scar width.

I am not saying your scar will 100% be smaller, but it is a good likelihood that as months 4-5 roll around the pink color will dissapate and leave you feeling much better.

My biggest concern is that you seem to imply that you expected to be able shave down to a #1 AFTER your strip surgery?

That is not the case as a #3-4 guard is more likely for most (with a good doc) barring repair work/stretching etc....

You will have to sit back and wait a bit to see where you end up.

Abby, I forget who you went to??? Have you called to talk to them about this?

Again, a 4mm scar is not the end of the world, it happens--the good thing is -- 4mm scar usually can be fixed very easily and relatively quickly.

Abby, why don't you post a couple of pics so we can have a look.

Take Care,

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Abby,

Pictures would be helpful, but only time will tell the final width of your scar.

In the beginning, scars will look more inflamed with redness around the scar causing it to look wider. Combine this with donor area shock loss and it's even scarier looking.

As others have said, a 4mm scar in certain areas isn't the end of the world but it is a bit wider than what most consider acceptable. The good news is, you may end up with a much smaller scar. But give it time, and take good care of it.

Best wishes,

Bill

At 9 weeks it is normal for the scar to be visual at short hair lengths. It may still be pink, and there may be some shockloss around the area causing it to show..

time should correct this with healing. Did you go to a doctor which using the T-closure???

This more than anything will determine the scar visibility

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

I went to dr Humayun at the time.

My wife has measured the scar again, it seems in some places it is 2mm, 3mm, and 4mm,this is repeated throughout the line it keeps varying. There are little sprouts of hair popping out here and there in the scar area , but nothing major. Also I would like to say that the scar line is very straight and ill post some pics shortly. .

Abby-

At nine weeks post op the scar may appear wider than it's "finished, mature result", as patients will experience variable amounts of temporary shock loss along the suture line in the donor area. Be patient, you are still at a very early stage. Also, as pointed out, IF you were to find (say, in one year) that you did have some scarring issues, they are usually fairly simple to correct- but again, that remains to be seen.

Grow well!!

Timothy Carman, MD ABHRS

President, (ABHRS)
ABHRS Board of Directors

• 9 months later...

I hope ABBY that the scar issue is settled.

I just saw your post op 9 months scar.

If some one doing 3200 grafts and the scar quailty is like what you have only visible because of some direction of hairs but no bald scar scar like. Thisis tricophytic closure. It takes as many months as hair transplant to grow the hair from the scar.

As you were very bald I had to stretch my limits on your case. Other wise with simple 2700 to 2900 grafts in your case would have been 1 to 1.5 mm les wide scar and hence the direction of growth from donor scar after tricophytic closure can be even less noticiable.

My some scars have been invisible but they are only 2300 to 2500 graft case.

hope to see you soon in Pakistan for a second session of FUT with or without FUE at same time.

---

I am a medical advisor to Lexington International and Hairmax. What ever I say is my personal opinion.

Dr. Mohmand is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network